Ray Rice of Rutgers

Big Dakota

Reaction score
jdub2k4;1731898 said:
Sure, that is, if you don't mind witnessing the second coming of Emmitt Smith. Remember how the first one turned out?

Ray Rice is REALLY growing on me. I am to the point now that I am starting to favor Rice over McFadden. I know some eyebrows may have just raised in reading that last sentence, but think about this: Rice has proven to be very durable and has proven that he can carry the rock 30+ times on a high profile team. Combine him with Barber and you have a constant bruising duo that would leave the defense gasping for air in the forth quarter. He also has the vision and patience of a young Emmitt. But what impresses me most is his durability, which means he could be in the league for 10+ years. That is rare nowdays. On the other hand, guys like McFaddon and Slaton don't really impress me with their durability. I see those guys getting about 8 good years before declining, or maybe even suffering prolonged injuries in the pros. I think at this point, Rice is the logical 1st round choice follwoed by a stud corner with our second 1st.

Considering the average NFL player plays 3.5 years, 8 would be hard to swallow:rolleyes:

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1731967 said:
Considering the average NFL player plays 3.5 years, 8 would be hard to swallow:rolleyes:

No offense, but the average NFL player includes every player that suits up. I'm actually surprised that the stat is that high. Think Beriault sp. (whom I was a fan of).

Big Dakota

Reaction score
tomson75;1731972 said:
No offense, but the average NFL player includes every player that suits up. I'm actually surprised that the stat is that high. Think Beriault sp. (whom I was a fan of).

Well that's my point. Getting "8 good years" out of guys like Slaton or DMac would be more than OK with me, and i'd say 100% of NFL organizations. Draft ANY RB in ANY round and expect 10 good years is just not rational. You can HOPE you get 10 good years, but expecting it is wishful thinking.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1731976 said:
Well that's my point. Getting "8 good years" out of guys like Slaton or DMac would be more than OK with me, and i'd say 100% of NFL organizations. Draft ANY RB in ANY round and expect 10 good years is just not rational. You can HOPE you get 10 good years, but expecting it is wishful thinking.

...and you'd be correct. I missed the point...I've had too few beers. Not. Goodnight. :eek::

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors;1731624 said:
We need another RB that can grind a defense. Rice is another great red zone runner and consistently gets something out of nothing. He is very fast into holes and tough to get down. He may not be a 99 yard threat but realistically with NFL Defensive team speed, the homerun 70 and 80 yard runs are rare.

well like I said, we already have that with MBIII and I know he is good at what he does...I see no need to add someone that probably at best, is just like him...I want a different dimension

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
and dont forget about the Davis kid from Clemson

also, he wont be a factor in this yrs draft, but people need to watch Knowshon Moreno from UGA...alot of people may have saw him yesterday for the first time, but he is really good and has alot of the same running style and energy that MBIII has...they are VERY similar backs

David

starfrombirth

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1731469 said:
Ray Rice would look good with a Star on his helmet next year.

you can't honestly want a running back who runs a 4.7 40 do you? I don't know that he is really that slow but man he sure doesn't look fast. Powerful yes, fast no. Everytime he breaks though the line he is chased down by a linebacker. He wouldnt make it in the nfl. You can't just dominate in college to make it in the nfl, you have to make it look easy. And Ray doesn't. :bang2:

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
starfrombirth;1732244 said:
you can't honestly want a running back who runs a 4.7 40 do you? I don't know that he is really that slow but man he sure doesn't look fast. Powerful yes, fast no. Everytime he breaks though the line he is chased down by a linebacker. He wouldnt make it in the nfl. You can't just dominate in college to make it in the nfl, you have to make it look easy. And Ray doesn't. :bang2:

100% wrong.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Really? You think he looks slow? Do you also think Leonard Davis is a bit too small?

marchetta

Reaction score

FWIW, Great Blue North Draft Report has him as:

Ray Rice, 5-9, 200, 4.45, Rutgers - www.gbnreport.com

I'm sure their numbers are unofficial. However, my experience with their numbers are that they're usually pretty accurate.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
marchetta;1732272 said:
FWIW, Great Blue North has him as:

Ray Rice, 5-9, 200, 4.45, Rutgers

I'm sure their numbers are unofficial. However, my experience with their numbers are that they're usually pretty accurate.

Almost every scouting group in the nation has him between 4.45 - 4.54. He's no burner, but he's certainly not slow. He routinely gets outside and turns the corner against some very fast college defenses. I'm not sure what runningback starfrombirth is watching, but its not Ray Rice from Rutgers.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'm only interested in football players that run 4.2 or better. Yes, even linemen. ;)

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Hostile;1731437 said:
As much as I like McFadden, I wouldn't hate this by any wild stretch of the imagination.
Would you hate James Davis?

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
You must not have seen Ray Rice play then. Speed isn't everything with RB. You also need to have vision, instincts, cut ability, strength, and durability. Ray Rice has exactly that. BTW, Emmitt Smith was never considered a "fast guy." He still managed to do pretty well for himself in the NFL...

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
Ive been saying this all along. <shrug> But does anyone ever listen to me? Hopefully Jerry wont do some dumb deal for McFadden, and spend the draft picks wisely.

I would be tickled pink with Rice, or better yet Felix Jones.