Ray Rice of Rutgers

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Doomsday;1731648 said:
I could think of a lot worse things to have. I would love to have 2 guys that just keep pounding the other team, especially given the size of our Oline.

I suppose I could think of worse things as well. ;)

I'd also like to see some real good speed back there, if it comes in the form of a Slaton type guy or a Stewart guy...so be it.

I think Rice is a good combination of the two. He gets outside pretty easily.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
tomson75;1731647[B said:
]...but....do we really want TWO Barbers?[/B]

I hear what you're saying though, Stewart is a damn good looking prospect. He looks like a 30+ carry every down back.

There are multiple guys on this Oregon squad I like.

What would be bad about that? Your second RB doesn't HAVE to have a different running style.

Remember, the supposed knock against MB3 is that he wouldn't last a season as the fulltime RB cuz of his style. Having TWO Barbarians would be like starting MB3 all season, fulltime, w/o worrying about him getting worn down.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Rack;1731650 said:
What would be bad about that? Your second RB doesn't HAVE to have a different running style.

Remember, the supposed knock against MB3 is that he wouldn't last a season as the fulltime RB cuz of his style. Having TWO Barbarians would be like starting MB3 all season, fulltime, w/o worrying about him getting worn down.

I hear ya.

I posted some stats earlier this week that many people may find surprising. Barber, with his supposed "lack of speed and breakaway ability", is second in the NFC in 20+ AND 40+ yard carries. I'm not knocking the idea of two similar style RB's, I just think it's nice that we may have the option to choose between several styles...and they all seem to be very gifted.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Two good games going on right now.

USC and Oregon

Plus another big east game...

UConn vs South Florida.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bizwah;1731646 said:
Another TD for Stewart.

Oregon 24
USC 10

I'm telling you guys, this Stewart guy is a pretty good back.
Jonathon Stewart is going to be a stud in the NFL. His vision is so god it is scary and he can run over you or right by you.

Beerguzzler44

Reaction score
I like Rice alot myself. I watch alot of big east games myself, and he is a stud RB.

Slaton style is in an offense you will not see run in the NFL. Rice on the other hand runs in a pro style offense, which will benefit him at the next level.

I would not be upset with any of these guys.

Ray Rice
Felix Jones
Darren McFadden
Steve Slaton
Stewart from Oregon.

There are a couple more good ones too.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I like Cory Boyd of South Carolina, is averaging 9 yards a carry tonight, oops, right now it's 10 yards per carry, 150 yards rushing, he's big, quick and a superb receiver, also has 22 yards worth of receptions tonight as well, would be a great 3rd down back to allow Barber to be the feature one, this guy makes some unbelievable cuts, is a great draw and delay runner

superpunk

Reaction score
Doomsday;1731648 said:
I could think of a lot worse things to have. I would love to have 2 guys that just keep pounding...(snipped)

You and me both, sailor.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1731794 said:
Please draft Rice.

My approval should tell you all you need to know.

Coming from you it means nothing.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Please draft Rice.

Sure, that is, if you don't mind witnessing the second coming of Emmitt Smith. Remember how the first one turned out?

Ray Rice is REALLY growing on me. I am to the point now that I am starting to favor Rice over McFadden. I know some eyebrows may have just raised in reading that last sentence, but think about this: Rice has proven to be very durable and has proven that he can carry the rock 30+ times on a high profile team. Combine him with Barber and you have a constant bruising duo that would leave the defense gasping for air in the forth quarter. He also has the vision and patience of a young Emmitt. But what impresses me most is his durability, which means he could be in the league for 10+ years. That is rare nowdays. On the other hand, guys like McFaddon and Slaton don't really impress me with their durability. I see those guys getting about 8 good years before declining, or maybe even suffering prolonged injuries in the pros. I think at this point, Rice is the logical 1st round choice follwoed by a stud corner with our second 1st.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
jdub2k4;1731898 said:
Sure, that is, if you don't mind witnessing the second coming of Emmitt Smith. Remember how the first one turned out?

Ray Rice is REALLY growing on me. I am to the point now that I am starting to favor Rice over McFadden. I know some eyebrows may have just raised in reading that last sentence, but think about this: Rice has proven to be very durable and has proven that he can carry the rock 30+ times on a high profile team. Combine him with Barber and you have a constant bruising duo that would leave the defense gasping for air in the forth quarter. He also has the vision and patience of a young Emmitt. But what impresses me most is his durability, which means he could be in the league for 10+ years. That is rare nowdays. On the other hand, guys like McFaddon and Slaton don't really impress me with their durability. I see those guys getting about 8 good years before declining, or maybe even suffering prolonged injuries in the pros. I think at this point, Rice is the logical 1st round choice follwoed by a stud corner with our second 1st.

I agree, Rice is going to go a tad higher than some feel he will, and McFadden may be overrated at top 5....

I like Rice a lot....

Mansta54

Reaction score
Please draft Rice.

Maybe yall should draft a RB that can hold onto the ball...:laugh2:

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1731918 said:
I like Mike Hart better but I question his ability to stay healthy...
For some reason, Hart jsut doesn't do it for me. He has bust or injury written all over him....My gut tells me to stay away from Hart.

Reaction score
jdub2k4;1731941 said:
For some reason, Hart jsut doesn't do it for me. He has bust or injury written all over him....My gut tells me to stay away from Hart.

I'm starting to feel that way as well but I don't question his toughness but some guys just have a tendency to stay hurt...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hostile;1731426 said:
It has been said before on this forum, he reminds of Emmitt Smith. The announcers just said he patterned his style after Emmitt and that Emmitt was his favorite to watch growing up. The kid is so much fun to watch.

Steve Slaton, the other great RB in this game for WVU, broke a 38 yarder. Unreal speed even when he has to make a cut.

Slaton has a lot of Brian Westbrook in him, if you ask me...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;1731944 said:
Slaton has a lot of Brian Westbrook in him, if you ask me...

well noone is, so get the hell out of Dodge:mad:

white text, white text, I love white text

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
ThreeSportStar80;1731918 said:
I like Mike Hart better but I question his ability to stay healthy...

Its so hard for me to pick between these 2 who would really be a better pro but since we have Barber I believe Ray Rice can do more with less.

This is really such a good RB class someone that we wont expect is probably going to fall in our lap.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
marchetta;1731529 said:
BP said the only reason that MBIII wasn't his #1RB was because MBIII was too valuable of a 3rd down back. When we resign MBIII, he's going to warrant #1RB money, therefore he's probably going to be the primary ball carrier. So, getting a guy like Steve Slaton would make a lot of sense, since he projects to being a great 3rd down NFL back. Simply put, Slaton complements MBIII a lot better than R.Rice does. While I like R.Rice better as a NFL RB prospect, he's not what we need, unless we're going to keep MBIII's role the same. Personally, I would love to see R. Rice and MBIII sharing carries for a whole season. They're both physical backs that don't go down after initial contact. R.Rice runs with the patience, balance, and vision of Emmitt Smith. As you can, tell I'm conflicted. Do you take the better RB (R.Rice), or the guy that fits your need better(S.Slayton)? I don't know.

I've been saying this for 6 months. Rice is a true 3 down back but Slaton gives us a dimension we don't have. Tough one but i'd take Slaton. BUT, if MB3 went down, can Slaton carry the load? Something to think about.