RB by Committee - 200 yards from scrimmage

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
I was so impressed by that aspect of our offense last night. And it's like a completely new and different look too. People here have been calling for years to get our RBs more involved in the passing game, and to utilize Dunbar better. I hope they keep this up.

Well we had a pretty good RB passing game last year with Murray, but you're definitely correct about Dunbar. Last night was the first time I've seen where he has actually been utilized in the way that coaches keep saying he will be utilized.

superonyx

Reaction score
Ben Gardner. The guy they didn't even want on the practice and neither did any other team.

Sorry you have the wrong poster. I thought you were talking about Charlie Gardner the former Eagles RB....Either way it wasn't me.
Probably another poster that looks like me....I get that a lot. :thumbup:

erod

Reaction score
Just as important was how well each pass protected.

kramskoi

Reaction score
how many third and long situations did Romo find himself in? very few. Our backs kept us in manageable third downs all game long. Sure, most of those were using short passing game like an extension of the run, but that is as much gamesmanship for our next opponent as it is changing our identity.

I can live with this type of situation as long as Cowboy running backs are not the "top" receiving threats going forward. Defenses will adjust and many teams have much better MLB's than Unga, who was abysmal at best. He was simply no match for Dunbar or Witten. Beason in the line-up likely means that Dallas doesn't win that game.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
I can live with this type of situation as long as Cowboy running backs are not the "top" receiving threats going forward. Defenses will adjust and many teams have much better MLB's than Unga, who was abysmal at best. He was simply no match for Dunbar or Witten. Beason in the line-up likely means that Dallas doesn't win that game.

Beason is a liability in coverage. Assuming he could actually make it an entire game (huge assumption) he wouldn't of changed a thing.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Beason is a liability in coverage. Assuming he could actually make it an entire game (huge assumption) he wouldn't of changed a thing.

If he's as big a liability as Unga was then they should cut his *** today.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
That 4.1 ypc is deceiving. Most of his runs were 3 yards or less. He had one or two big runs that jacked up the stats.

We need someone who can consistently put us in second and 6 or less.

Being in second and 7 or being in second and 6 is big as far as play calling options go. One dictates more of a pass and another gives you more of option for a run play.

Hopefully CM will be that guy.
Not only this is not true it is a foolish opinion. Every RB that averages over 4yd/carry has runs that pushes their average to 4yd/carry or better mark. Also, you cannot take away runs that he made to suit your flawed observation.

Zman5

Reaction score
Not only this is not true it is a foolish opinion. Every RB that averages over 4yd/carry has runs that pushes their average to 4yd/carry or better mark. Also, you cannot take away runs that he made to suit your flawed observation.

It's more foolish to think our running game is OK because Randle had 4.1 ypc. You need to look closer to see how that came about. 57% of his runs were for 3 yards or less. That's not going to cut it. If most of his runs were closer to 4.1 yards, I doubt we pass 45 times.

We need to go back closer to last years formula and have Romo throw around 35 passes max if we are to go deep in the playoffs this year.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
It's more foolish to think our running game is OK because Randle had 4.1 ypc. You need to look closer to see how that came about. 57% of his runs were for 3 yards or less. That's not going to cut it. If most of his runs were closer to 4.1 yards, I doubt we pass 45 times.

Murray averaged 4.7 per carry last year. The difference between that and what Randle did last night is about two feet per carry - not exactly a huge divide.

I don't know if Randle is the answer, but he looked okay last night. He had a couple of runs that looked like he was almost going to break a longer one and got brought down by a shoestring tackle or something.

aikemirv

Reaction score

We need to go back closer to last years formula and have Romo throw around 35 passes max if we are to go deep in the playoffs this year.

Your wrong. We passed 12 times in the last 2 drives because we were down 2 scores. That would get us down to 33 passes. If we would have had the lead in that situation the runs would have grown and passes would have been less. Passing did not get us in the hole, mistakes did.

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Murray averaged 4.7 per carry last year. The difference between that and what Randle did last night is about two feet per carry - not exactly a huge divide.

I don't know if Randle is the answer, but he looked okay last night. He had a couple of runs that looked like he was almost going to break a longer one and got brought down by a shoestring tackle or something.

So your saying DM and Joe Randle are basically the same ? Doesn't matter which one you pick to be on your team?

Zman5

Reaction score
Your wrong. We passed 12 times in the last 2 drives because we were down 2 scores. That would get us down to 33 passes. If we would have had the lead in that situation the runs would have grown and passes would have been less. Passing did not get us in the hole, mistakes did.

Oh OK. Keep playing the "what if" game if it makes you feel better.

I can play this too. If Randle would have ran 15 yards every time he carried the ball, we wouldn't have passed at all. And there wouldn't have been any fumbles or INTS. Or if Dunbar and Bease would have scored every time they returned the kick/punt, we wouldn't even need to have the offense on the field.

romothesavior

Reaction score

Bingo.

People keep talking (after ONE game!) about this "change in identity" from last year, but I just don't buy it. Our play calling was skewed because of the situation we found ourselves, not some philosophical change in approach.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I sort of like this new play calling with the RB's getting tons of passes. But I'm disappointed in the receivers, I mean geesh, catch the freaking ball.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Oh OK. Keep playing the "what if" game if it makes you feel better.

I can play this too. If Randle would have ran 15 yards every time he carried the ball, we wouldn't have passed at all. And there wouldn't have been any fumbles or INTS. Or if Dunbar and Bease would have scored every time they returned the kick/punt, we wouldn't even need to have the offense on the field.

What was the ratio at halftime?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
RBs accounted for half the yards from scrimmage so they more than did their job.

The 80 yards rushing was less than ideal but that happens when you fall behind by 2 scores with 10 minutes left.

Didn't think we were as good as we needed to be in establishing the run, but we certainly did a great job of using the RBs as receivers. We'll see where it goes from here.