RB by Committee - 200 yards from scrimmage

Zman5

Reaction score
Randle had a 4.1 ypc which is more than Murray had in a few games last season. When Dez is out of the game it's going to be more difficult to run the ball because Dez normally draws double coverage.

Catches and Runs by RBs are of minimal difference. It might have some affect on Fantasy Football, but in real games it is very similar. The defense has to account for the RB either way.

You're accusing people of trying to "spin" this issue but in reality you're doing the most "spinning".

That 4.1 ypc is deceiving. Most of his runs were 3 yards or less. He had one or two big runs that jacked up the stats.

We need someone who can consistently put us in second and 6 or less.

Being in second and 7 or being in second and 6 is big as far as play calling options go. One dictates more of a pass and another gives you more of option for a run play.

Hopefully CM will be that guy.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Do you really believe this? You are attempting to sell the idea that there is a minimal difference between catches and runs since the defense needs to account for them either way? Haha...
Ok then here is why you are absolutely wrong. It's 2nd and 7 and you hand the ball to your running back. How many defensive players are assigned to account for this running back? How about all of them!
Now it's 3rd and 9 and you are in the shotgun with Dunbar in the backfield..how many defensive players are assigned to account for him? Probably 1.

Being productive running the ball sets up short yardage and play action success in a big way.
Being productive out of the backfield catching the ball just means the defensive coordinator may have to play an extra CB in place of a slower LB.

This is football 101.

Now keep spinning.

You realize you're kind of making an argument against running the ball more, right? 1 vs. 11 or 1 vs. 1.... That's a toughy...

texbumthelife

Reaction score
That 4.1 ypc is deceiving. Most of his runs were 3 yards or less.

There is absolutely no truth to this. Most of his yards were right at his average, which was four yards. Four yards puts you in second and six. Another run puts you in third and two. I reckon every team to ever play the game would be happy to sit at third and two on average.

I love how the spin doctors use big runs as a negative, unless it works to their advantage... First he doesn't break off enough big runs. Then his YPC actually sucks, it's lopsided due to his long runs. Round and round we go...

superonyx

Reaction score
You realize you're kind of making an argument against running the ball more, right? 1 vs. 11 or 1 vs. 1.... That's a toughy...

I see what you are saying but not exactly.. Sure running the ball is more difficult than gaining yards off of the dump pass. However the benefits or having 11 vs1 is obvious when you freeze the defenders with the play action. Or when the DB have to keep making business decisions trying to tackles a horse all game. Plus this puts physical strain on the defenders when they have to rush the passer or drop into coverage. You have to run the ball. Otherwise the league would have already turned into the backyard football league.

Zman5

Reaction score
There is absolutely no truth to this. Most of his yards were right at his average, which was four yards. Four yards puts you in second and six. Another run puts you in third and two. I reckon every team to ever play the game would be happy to sit at third and two on average.

I love how the spin doctors use big runs as a negative, unless it works to their advantage... First he doesn't break off enough big runs. Then his YPC actually sucks, it's lopsided due to his long runs. Round and round we go...

Go look at the game log and you'll see who is doing the spinning. You'll see most of his runs were 3 yards or less. He had a 15 yard run that puts his average to 4.1. If most of his runs were around 4 yards, that 15 yard run would have jacked his stats closer to 5 yards sinces he only had 16 carries.

Swanny

Reaction score
Really? You mean to tell me that a whopping 760 yards from scrimmage over 9 years is "Major".....
Lets do some quick math...that equals 5.2 Yards Per GAME..

You may not see the difference but obviously the NFL coaches and front offices do. Otherwise just put WR's back as RB's and just throw the passes all day. Hey its the same to you. I guess you don't know why the Eagles paid Murray, or the Vikings pay Peterson. Why are the seahawks paying Lynch when they can just pass the ball to that new kick returner they drafted. Whats the difference right?

Yeah considering Martin has 1 more season that is significant difference. Over 10 seasons Curtis Martin averages 1743 Total yards per season. So take away 1743 total yards off his total and thats 2503 yards. THATS A MAJOR difference

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That 4.1 ypc is deceiving. Most of his runs were 3 yards or less. He had one or two big runs that jacked up the stats.

We need someone who can consistently put us in second and 6 or less.

Being in second and 7 or being in second and 6 is big as far as play calling options go. One dictates more of a pass and another gives you more of option for a run play.

Hopefully CM will be that guy.

That is how averages work for everybody.

He didn't have any huge runs that would really throw of the average.

Zman5

Reaction score

Ok here is all the runs from Randle last night in yards.

2,3,3, 5,15,0,3,5,3,2,7,5,4,1,2

As I said most of his runs were 3 yards or less. Now tell me who is spinning what.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
Go look at the game log and you'll see who is doing the spinning. You'll see most of his runs were 3 yards or less. He had a 15 yard run that puts his average to 4.1. If most of his runs were around 4 yards, that 15 yard run would have jacked his stats closer to 5 yards sinces he only had 16 carries.

how many third and long situations did Romo find himself in? very few. Our backs kept us in manageable third downs all game long. Sure, most of those were using short passing game like an extension of the run, but that is as much gamesmanship for our next opponent as it is changing our identity.

Zman5

Reaction score
That is how averages work for everybody.

He didn't have any huge runs that would really throw of the average.

Depending on a sample size it can. If you only have 16 carries. A 16 yard run will definitely bump your stat up noticeably.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I really wouldn't consider Dunbar a RB. I'm pretty sure he lined up in the slot every time. I have no problem with supplementing the running game with short passes, but I just wouldn't count guys as RBs unless they're lined up at RB.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
We still need to establish a traditional running game. What do you do in goal line situations or when you're trying to burn the clock and can't afford an incompletion? You need to be able to hand it off too. I like what we did last night. It's what New England had been doing for years and people always say they have no running game. But we still need to show that we can hand it off if we need to.

Zman5

Reaction score
how many third and long situations did Romo find himself in? very few. Our backs kept us in manageable third downs all game long. Sure, most of those were using short passing game like an extension of the run, but that is as much gamesmanship for our next opponent as it is changing our identity.

That's where I see a potential issue. Having to pass 45 times a game. Every season we didi that in JG's era, we went 8-8 and no playoffs.

Maybe things will be different this year but I still haven't forgotten the play where Romo was trying to dump it off to Murray only to be intercepted by a DE against the Deadskins that cost us a chance to go to the playoffs.

Eric_Boyer

Reaction score
That's where I see a potential issue. Having to pass 45 times a game. Every season we didi that in JG's era, we went 8-8 and no playoffs.

Maybe things will be different this year but I still haven't forgotten the play where Romo was trying to dump it off to Murray only to be intercepted by a DE against the Deadskins that cost us a chance to go to the playoffs.

you say having too, but when did we run on third and short and come up short?

you seem to be assuming because we played an injury riddled Giants team a certain way, that is how we are going to play all of them.

I think Jason Garrett is brilliant, and I suggest you let this play out a bit longer. I don't mind tony throwing 45 passes when he is not touched on 44 of them.

kramskoi

Reaction score
It was fun watching them move the backs out into the formations. Couple that with the two TE sets we're going to see until Dez gets back, and we'll see some good matchups, at least.

I would say that Linehan will need to empty the playbook over the next few weeks...be as creative as possible. Tough schedule ahead, but if they can eliminate costly turnovers and keep up pass pro, they will have a chance in every game.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do you really believe this? You are attempting to sell the idea that there is a minimal difference between catches and runs since the defense needs to account for them either way? Haha...
Ok then here is why you are absolutely wrong. It's 2nd and 7 and you hand the ball to your running back. How many defensive players are assigned to account for this running back? How about all of them!
Now it's 3rd and 9 and you are in the shotgun with Dunbar in the backfield..how many defensive players are assigned to account for him? Probably 1.

Being productive running the ball sets up short yardage and play action success in a big way.
Being productive out of the backfield catching the ball just means the defensive coordinator may have to play an extra CB in place of a slower LB.

This is football 101.

Now keep spinning.

Didn't you create a thread telling us how Gardner was great...

Zman5

Reaction score
you say having too, but when did we run on third and short and come up short?

you seem to be assuming because we played an injury riddled Giants team a certain way, that is how we are going to play all of them.

I think Jason Garrett is brilliant, and I suggest you let this play out a bit longer. I don't mind tony throwing 45 passes when he is not touched on 44 of them.

We should try to get back to what worked for us. Some of these pass plays will not work as well come December when we have to play in places like Buffalo.

I rather we look into preparing for the long term and not be short sighted and be complacent because it worked against the bad Gints defense in Jerry's dome.

Zman5

Reaction score
Another point to make is, even though our Oline did well against the Gints pathetic pass rush, the Oline is still far better at run blocking than pass blocking.

And if Collins have to come in and play due to injury, it will be easier for him to run block than pass block at this point in his career.

It would be a shame to have these kind of players and not run as much.