RB by Committee - 200 yards from scrimmage

Macnalty

Reaction score
I agree we are getting our yards in a different fashion(these are not last years cowboys) vs 2014 I loved the slow methodical drive to start the first quarter with the time killing drives. Witten having that penalty on the goal line seems to be more common than not and what followed was pure frustration for a cowboy fan with the drops and interceptions.
I am still confused if we have a good running game as it did not stand on its own. Very difficult to judge for me when we play a NFC east rival as these games never go according to hoyle.

PFF scores FYI

LT Tyron Smith (+4.0)
DE Randy Gregory (+2.8)
FS J.J. Wilcox (+2.5)
RG Zack Martin (+2.4)
RB Lance Dunbar (+1.5)

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Think about this. IF and its a big IF, if Michael shows he can add something to this team who is active on game day? Do you dress 4 RBs? Do you sit DMC? Theres no chance Randle or Dunbar sit. Maybe you sit Clutts??

Watch the Eagles tonight. Lets see how the Falcon offense use their RBs (Coleman and Freeman). The Cowboys need a power RB

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is clear now how they plan to use the RBs.
Hopefully they get more carries for DMC and do not fall into a hole with turnovers.

You could sort of see what was coming just by what they weren't doing with the RBs in the lineups in preseason. If they were going to use Dunbar more, with the other backs on the team, you knew that meant using him as a WR sometimes. With our QB and the ZBS, you sort of had to think the screen game was going to make an impact sooner or later, though I've been saying that for a few years. Throw in multiple TEs you can use all over the field and schematically you've got something interesting, even though we do lack that traditional bell-cow back.

If Michael or either Randle or McFadden can eventually show that they can hurt you between the tackles, and if we stop shooting ourselves in the feet, this offense is going to be difficult to prepare for. You're going to have to get to Tony to try to stop it, and that's a lot easier said than done.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Some of those passes to the RBs were glorified long pitches. Essentially serving as a run.

Not sure why it matters. It was effective either way.

superonyx

Reaction score
Very difficult to judge for me when we play a NFC east rival as these games never go according to hoyle.

PFF scores FYI

LT Tyron Smith (+4.0)
DE Randy Gregory (+2.8)
FS J.J. Wilcox (+2.5)
RG Zack Martin (+2.4)
RB Lance Dunbar (+1.5)

Who?

DallasInDC

Reaction score
While we did not run that well, our trio of RB's had over 200 yards from scrimmage. Dunbar looked very good and that is what I thought he could do since we got him. Randle was great on pass receiving as well. Mcfadden left the LB in the dust on his little crossing route. Those 3 will help the passing game with Dez out.

I heard a lot of complaining about how ineffective our running game was last night on NFL Network (Faulk, Deion, Irvin) and they all said how we can't win without a running game like last years....I kept yelling at the TV you can't discount the total yardage that was gained by our RBBC. Those short swing passes are high percentage passes (see Romo's nearly 80% completion) that can be just as effective as a running game. Yes, I would like to see us run for 100-140 yds. game every game, but if we get 200-250 combined yds. from our RBs I won't complain.

superonyx

Reaction score
Here we go with the yards from scrimmage spin.

Did you know that Curtis Martin was as good as Barry Sanders? Almost equal yards from scrimmage.....

I'm not saying passes out of the backfield are meaningless but why sugar coat the 3.5 ypc we put up running the ball?
Having tons of yards of passes out of the backfield is great but it doesn't make the times when you ran the ball any more productive.

That said....I love to see a RB squirt out of the backfield and break off a nice 20 yard gain. Its feels like you stole something. Has to burn the defense to cover all your guys downfield and then have some little RB take one up your gut for 20 yards.

superonyx

Reaction score
I heard a lot of complaining about how ineffective our running game was last night on NFL Network (Faulk, Deion, Irvin) and they all said how we can't win without a running game like last years....I kept yelling at the TV you can't discount the total yardage that was gained by our RBBC. Those short swing passes are high percentage passes (see Romo's nearly 80% completion) that can be just as effective as a running game. Yes, I would like to see us run for 100-140 yds. game every game, but if we get 200-250 combined yds. from our RBs I won't complain.

I don't know how much of the RB receiving yards last night was by design or more about Romo taking what the defense gives. If you drop back to pass and see the defense rolling thick coverage downfield on the WR's then the safe play is the dump off to the RB's. Just so happens our RB's are pretty good at catching the ball....I guess when your RB's are built like WR's and kick returners more than RB's then you have that ability.

MrPeanutbutter

What is this, a crossover episode?
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Some of those passes to the RBs were glorified long pitches. Essentially serving as a run.

Not sure why it matters. It was effective either way.

Agreed with all of this. If it works, it works. The fact of the matter is, New England won a Super Bowl passing to non-receivers. It can be done. Plus, we do eventually get Dez back.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Did you know that Curtis Martin was as good as Barry Sanders? Almost equal yards from scrimmage.....

I'm not saying passes out of the backfield are meaningless but why sugar coat the 3.5 ypc we put up running the ball?
Having tons of yards of passes out of the backfield is great but it doesn't make the times when you ran the ball any more productive.

That said....I love to see a RB squirt out of the backfield and break off a nice 20 yard gain. Its feels like you stole something. Has to burn the defense to cover all your guys downfield and then have some little RB take one up your gut for 20 yards.

Randle had a 4.1 ypc which is more than Murray had in a few games last season. When Dez is out of the game it's going to be more difficult to run the ball because Dez normally draws double coverage.

Catches and Runs by RBs are of minimal difference. It might have some affect on Fantasy Football, but in real games it is very similar. The defense has to account for the RB either way.

You're accusing people of trying to "spin" this issue but in reality you're doing the most "spinning".

superonyx

Reaction score
Randle had a 4.1 ypc which is more than Murray had in a few games last season. When Dez is out of the game it's going to be more difficult to run the ball because Dez normally draws double coverage.

Catches and Runs by RBs are of minimal difference. It might have some affect on Fantasy Football, but in real games it is very similar. The defense has to account for the RB either way.

You're accusing people of trying to "spin" this issue but in reality you're doing the most "spinning".

Do you really believe this? You are attempting to sell the idea that there is a minimal difference between catches and runs since the defense needs to account for them either way? Haha...
Ok then here is why you are absolutely wrong. It's 2nd and 7 and you hand the ball to your running back. How many defensive players are assigned to account for this running back? How about all of them!
Now it's 3rd and 9 and you are in the shotgun with Dunbar in the backfield..how many defensive players are assigned to account for him? Probably 1.

Being productive running the ball sets up short yardage and play action success in a big way.
Being productive out of the backfield catching the ball just means the defensive coordinator may have to play an extra CB in place of a slower LB.

This is football 101.

Now keep spinning.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Do you really believe this? You are attempting to sell the idea that there is a minimal difference between catches and runs since the defense needs to account for them either way? Haha...
Ok then here is why you are absolutely wrong. It's 2nd and 7 and you hand the ball to your running back. How many defensive players are assigned to account for this running back? How about all of them!
Now it's 3rd and 9 and you are in the shotgun with Dunbar in the backfield..how many defensive players are assigned to account for him? Probably 1.

Being productive running the ball sets up short yardage and play action success in a big way.
Being productive out of the backfield catching the ball just means the defensive coordinator may have to play an extra CB in place of a slower LB.

This is football 101.

Now keep spinning.

Well, duh. If you just handed the ball off to a RB.... Of course all eyes are on him at that point. He has the ball.

Would be no different than your shotgun scenario. If the pass was thrown to the back. Again, he would have the ball and all eyes would be on him.

Instead, you decided to compare a scenario after a play has started to one where it hasn't and proclaimed it to be different. Of course it is. The play in your second scenario hasn't started, therefore, the defense isn't as focused on one player.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I don't know how much of the RB receiving yards last night was by design or more about Romo taking what the defense gives. If you drop back to pass and see the defense rolling thick coverage downfield on the WR's then the safe play is the dump off to the RB's. Just so happens our RB's are pretty good at catching the ball....I guess when your RB's are built like WR's and kick returners more than RB's then you have that ability.

Yep, and if that is the way defenses want to play us, we should take those dump offs all day long. Although with Dez out, I have a feeling they will play us a lot tighter now until at least one of our WR start burning them down the field.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
We're finally using Dunbar! He was big for us vs Seattle last year and seemed to drop off from the game plan as the season went along.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
None of this is really surprising to me. I was actually surprised last year when we didn't use the backs in the passing game as much. Linehan is a believer in it. He has used the backs in the passing game everywhere he's been.

Deep_South

Reaction score
I love the idea of throwing to the running backs. The Eagles and the Commanders used to beat us to death throwing to Brian Westbrook and Clinton Portis year after year, and we never seemed to have an answer for it. It was fantastic watching us do it to the Giants, and Dunbar looked every bit as good as those two guys.

Swanny

Reaction score

??? In 9 seasons Barry Sanders has 760 total yds from scrimmage more than Curtis Martin in his 10 year career. Thats a major difference. Dont see the comparison you are trying to spin here. I would say total yards from scrimmage is more important that rushing yards. To me there is no difference in an RB who avgs 100 yds receiving/ rushing than an RB who runs for 100 yards and has 0 yards receiving. At the end of the day what is the difference?

superonyx

Reaction score
Well, duh. If you just handed the ball off to a RB.... Of course all eyes are on him at that point. He has the ball.

Would be no different than your shotgun scenario. If the pass was thrown to the back. Again, he would have the ball and all eyes would be on him.

Instead, you decided to compare a scenario after a play has started to one where it hasn't and proclaimed it to be different. Of course it is. The play in your second scenario hasn't started, therefore, the defense isn't as focused on one player.

Ok....You are lined up getting ready to snap the ball. The entire defensive front is watching the RB so they are ready to make a play in case the ball is handed to him.

The point is still spot on....An effective dangerous run game requires most of the defense to be on high alert watching for the run. A dump off from a passing formation only requires the attentions of one defender.

superonyx

Reaction score
??? In 9 seasons Barry Sanders has 760 total yds from scrimmage more than Curtis Martin in his 10 year career. Thats a major difference. Dont see the comparison you are trying to spin here. I would say total yards from scrimmage is more important that rushing yards. To me there is no difference in an RB who avgs 100 yds receiving/ rushing than an RB who runs for 100 yards and has 0 yards receiving. At the end of the day what is the difference?

Really? You mean to tell me that a whopping 760 yards from scrimmage over 9 years is "Major".....
Lets do some quick math...that equals 5.2 Yards Per GAME..

You may not see the difference but obviously the NFL coaches and front offices do. Otherwise just put WR's back as RB's and just throw the passes all day. Hey its the same to you. I guess you don't know why the Eagles paid Murray, or the Vikings pay Peterson. Why are the seahawks paying Lynch when they can just pass the ball to that new kick returner they drafted. Whats the difference right?