Re-signing Randy Gregory will be yet another FA mistake by the Front-Office

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They should look at keeping 2 to 3 players but spreading out that money to them. Then to keep one player.
They have many holes to fill. Gregory was not playing at such a high level to be a difference maker to warrant a huge contract.

I would like for them to keep him, but not at a huge price.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If we can get him on the cheap, re-sign him. But I've soured on him after his bonehead penalty against the 49ers. That was simply a horrible penalty to make. It's equivalent to deliberately kicking an MMA opponent in the family during a match. That play negated a fourth-down stop and likely would have given the Cowboys more time in their failed comeback attempt.

More than that, there's a culture here that has engulfed these players. We need to clear our roster of comfortable, cupcake players. We need to replace them with guys with the fire of Micah Parsons.

So, as much as I've supported RG, if he leaves, I won't be hurt.

Last edited:

HungryLion

Reaction score
I never understood some fans thinking he is going to get a massive guaranteed contract.

Say what you want about the NFL’s old marijuana policy. I never agreed with it. That being said the dude has spent years and years being suspended.

He has had multiple injuries.

when healthy and eligible to play he has been good. But he isn’t some all pro level player even at that. He is just good to very good….. when he can play.

I dont see the demand for him being very high. The cowboys should be able to get him for a reasonable contract or something heavily incentive laden. I would imagine most other teams wouldn’t want to even bother with him, to be honest.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Re-signing this guy to a market value contract will be a huge mistake. Dude is too inconsistent, commits boneheaded penalties, and is totally unreliable.

Unless he wants to come back for the minimum, move on. Giving him a big contract would be along the lines of the Jaylon Smith, Demarcus Lawerence, and Nolan Caroll.

Dude has been in the league for 7 years and has 16.5 sacks (yes i know he has missed some seasons). Id much rather give whatever he is slated to make to Von Miller, but we know this FO doesnt believe in bringing in high priced FAs, just to turn around and overpay our overrated players.

Move on
I agree. Great talent. Totally unreliable. Can’t give him big money.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think what they choose to do with DLaw will play a part in signing Gregory or not. If DLaw stays and has contract restructured I think Gregory will be gone but DLaw is lost to save money then I think Gregory remains. I don't see Dallas losing both starting DE

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Then you're letting him walk. I'm ok with that, but there are a lot of teams with a ton of cap and GMs are infatuated with the splash plays Gregory gives you every other game. He'll get at least 12M, probably 15.
if that much, its a hard pass. but that would mean we go into FA and Draft with desparate needs at DE, OL

JustChip

Reaction score
I think what they choose to do with DLaw will play a part in signing Gregory or not. If DLaw stays and has contract restructured I think Gregory will be gone but if is lost to save money then I think Gregory remains. I don't see Dallas losing both starting DE
Or they restructure D Law and use the money to keep Gregory and don’t lose either starting DE.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Dallas stuck by his side through all these seasons while he was maturing and finding his way through life. You think he would repay the organization with a team friendly deal, but I get it, money talks. He definitely is a bit inconsistent and has great flashes, but yeah, I agree that I would not overpay for his services.

There there is just the idea of starting over at the position. With who? I'm not sure, but a fresh start can sometimes do good.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Or they restructure D Law and use the money to keep Gregory and don’t lose either starting DE.

possible but I think other areas must be addressed so in my view we lose one of the DE but are able to sign say Kearse to a longer term deal. I think Kearse play this year should be rewarded with a longer term deal.

JustChip

Reaction score
Dallas stuck by his side through all these seasons while he was maturing and finding his way through life. You think he would repay the organization with a team friendly deal, but I get it, money talks. He definitely is a bit inconsistent and has great flashes, but yeah, I agree that I would not overpay for his services.

There there is just the idea of starting over at the position. With who? I'm not sure, but a fresh start can sometimes do good.
One would hope that would be the case. So much depends on Gregory’s agent. I think someone line Lee Steinberg would guide him to a win-win contract; someone like Scott Boras wouldn’t.

CWR

Reaction score
Re-signing this guy to a market value contract will be a huge mistake. Dude is too inconsistent, commits boneheaded penalties, and is totally unreliable.

Unless he wants to come back for the minimum, move on. Giving him a big contract would be along the lines of the Jaylon Smith, Demarcus Lawerence, and Nolan Caroll.

Dude has been in the league for 7 years and has 16.5 sacks (yes i know he has missed some seasons). Id much rather give whatever he is slated to make to Von Miller, but we know this FO doesnt believe in bringing in high priced FAs, just to turn around and overpay our overrated players.

Move on

I wanted him back, but I've flipped on that idea. As much as Ive pulled for him he really screwed us vs 9ers.

On top of that, and more importantly he is way older than I initially thought.

If he wants to play for a team friendly deal I'd be thrilled. He won't though. Let him walk.

My #1 priority is Kearse.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I think what they choose to do with DLaw will play a part in signing Gregory or not. If DLaw stays and has contract restructured I think Gregory will be gone but DLaw is lost to save money then I think Gregory remains. I don't see Dallas losing both starting DE

Agree ........don't see BOTH returning

quickccc

Reaction score

Move on

Huh ? ... Nolan Carroll ? :huh:

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Disagree. The man is a menace & dual threat at DE (can rush the passer and stop the run), and those are hard to find. Randy Gregory is a better overall player than Quinn.
If you think Gregory is good against the run then I don't know what to tell you. Robert Quinn has over 100 career sacks. Gregory is a JAG compared to Quinn.

Gaede

Reaction score
Randy reminds me of Anthony Spencer. Always almost there, never quite.

With his skill level, he should get more sacks than he does. I would also move on, except we don't have any replacement, so it'd be one more hole to fill with the draft

shabazz

Reaction score
I never understood some fans thinking he is going to get a massive guaranteed contract.

I dont see the demand for him being very high. The cowboys should be able to get him for a reasonable contract or something heavily incentive laden. I would imagine most other teams wouldn’t want to even bother with him, to be honest.

couple things here. With the history of Jerry giving bloated contracts, I don’t understand how some fans DONT think he will get a massive guaranteed contract

As to demand, it doesn’t matter if demand is high as no owner bids against himself better than Jerry

……it’s just what they do

Doomsday101

Reaction score
couple things here. With the history of Jerry giving bloated contracts, I don’t understand how some fans DONT think he will get a massive guaranteed contract

As to demand, it doesn’t matter if demand is high as no owner bids against himself better than Jerry

……it’s just what they do

Jerry is dealing with a slimmer cap margin than in past seasons. I don't see him throwing big money around.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Randy reminds me of Anthony Spencer. Always almost there, never quite.
Pass rush wise they are similar players. Decent amount of pressure with a handful of sacks. Anthony Spencer was 10x the run defender than Randy is. When Anthony was good (2009-2012) he averaged 68 tackles per year. Randy is no where even close to this level of run defender. Although some people on this board would have you believe that a DE is not supposed to get tackles.

btcutter

Reaction score

Move on

Incentive laden deal would be appropriate for him.

DEs are a rare breed that's why they are overpaid in FA.