Re-signing Randy Gregory will be yet another FA mistake by the Front-Office

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Randy is a dumb fb player. His stupidity wipes out any talent or upside he may have. Let him walk.

so you keep DLaw? I think it is easy to say let them both walk but hard to replace given cap situation. Dallas is not going to hit the market looking for top DE the cost is too much so that leaves the draft and at pick 24 you likely will not find an OLB or DE pass rusher that late in rd 1.

khiladi

Reaction score
We are assuming most folks want to stay here.

even Jerry seemed to be resigned to the fact, in his post-game interview, the team was about to get ransacked this FA.

Rayman70

Reaction score
so you keep DLaw? I think it is easy to say let them both walk but hard to replace given cap situation. Dallas is not going to hit the market looking for top DE the cost is too much so that leaves the draft and at pick 24 you likely will not find an OLB or DE pass rusher that late in rd 1.
Micah can fill the void. We can resign Basham and others. We can draft a guy as well. DLAW and Randy can walk.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Micah can fill the void. We can resign Basham and others. We can draft a guy as well. DLAW and Randy can walk.

I think Basham make a good rotation player but not one I would put in as a starter. I think Cowboys can get Gregory signed and I don't think it will take top dollar to get it done. I would look to sign Dorance Armstrong before I would go with Basham as a starting DE.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Re-signing this guy to a market value contract will be a huge mistake. Dude is too inconsistent, commits boneheaded penalties, and is totally unreliable.

Unless he wants to come back for the minimum, move on. Giving him a big contract would be along the lines of the Jaylon Smith, Demarcus Lawerence, and Nolan Caroll.

Dude has been in the league for 7 years and has 16.5 sacks (yes i know he has missed some seasons). Id much rather give whatever he is slated to make to Von Miller, but we know this FO doesnt believe in bringing in high priced FAs, just to turn around and overpay our overrated players.

Move on

the minimum.... get a clue

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think Basham make a good rotation player but not one I would put in as a starter. I think Cowboys can get Gregory signed and I don't think it will take top dollar to get it done. I would look to sign Dorance Armstrong before I would go with Basham as a starting DE.
I wish that was true, but we cant pay him what he wants. Hes simply not worth it. I expect he walks.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
sure, get rid of the reson we actually finally have a pass rush that we have been crying about for a decade. Makes lots of sense. Sure, just draft a guy, im sure we should easily be able to draft a guy with the 20 something pick in the first rd that can easily notch us 12 sacks. Its that easy... make it so Jerry.
While your at it, get us a mahomes in the 4th rd. We dont want to waste any draft capital on a QB.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Trim the fat. Bye Randy. Bye DLaw. Its time we let the other guys get their chance.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He's gonna be paid according to Market value around the league- and based off how the Cowboys value him as well..
i tend to think it's gonna be the 11-12 mill area, its not gonna be this "hometown discount.

- And i don't see the Cowboys having standing by his side and supporting him both of field and on field since he's entering the NFL
thru the substance suspensions and even insisting the right coach support around him (ala firing ex-DL coach Jim Tomsula)
..only just to let him go in FA off to a Philly team.

- The age status (age 30 next Nov) and long term projection years is likely gonna be a negotiation challenge. and Gregory camp likely gonna point that he does not have the
wear toll that most players his age has during their career.
But off physical ability and projection off a productive re-start year - (and he's already been slated as a Pro Bowl alternate) the notice around the league is already definitely there

i don't see Cowboys Not re-signing Gregory. The franchise tag would prove challenging to a team already over the team cap.
But usually when the Cowboys want to re-sign their priority core players - it gets done.
there are almost no hometown discounts in NFL, so I agree its not going to be significant...

I would be happy with a performance based contract for a 30 year old who only had 6 sacks this past year with a good defense around him.

the challenge is what he will get in open market.

elcowboi

Reaction score
They've made a whole bunch of mistakes thus far. Let's keep the streak going!!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I wish that was true, but we cant pay him what he wants. Hes simply not worth it. I expect he walks.

I have yet to hear what he wants. I don't think the market value on Gregory will be as much as some think. We will see but I sure as heck do not see Dallas losing both starting DE. Dallas does not have the means to sign a top FA DE and again unless you move up in the draft you will not likely find an impact player at DE at 24.

Rayman70

Reaction score
sure, get rid of the reson we actually finally have a pass rush that we have been crying about for a decade. Makes lots of sense. Sure, just draft a guy, im sure we should easily be able to draft a guy with the 20 something pick in the first rd that can easily notch us 12 sacks. Its that easy... make it so Jerry.
While your at it, get us a mahomes in the 4th rd. We dont want to waste any draft capital on a QB.
What have we won with Dlaw? 0. Their have been multiple games where hes invisible. Same with Randy. Micah is the reason...NOT THEM.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I have yet to hear what he wants. I don't think the market value on Gregory will be as much as some think. We will see but I sure as heck do not see Dallas losing both starting DE. Dallas does not have the means to sign a top FA DE and again unless you move up in the draft you will not likely find an impact player at DE at 24.
WE DRAFTED GHOLSTON. Use him. We will resign Urban D/E.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
What have we won with Dlaw? 0. Their have been multiple games where hes invisible. Same with Randy. Micah is the reason...NOT THEM.
Dlaw was by himself..... easy to take him out. Gregory had to deal with pot tests that kept him from being anything.

Get rid of Dlaw and Micah and watch teams work on negating Micah. They cant do that with gregory on one side Dlaw on the other and Micah going wherever he wants.

Bottom line is all our picks came from pass rush being present. Yout hink all those years of no interceptions and no pass rush was a coincidence? You think it was a coincidence that as soon as we got a pass rush, we got lots of interceptions?

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'd pick him up in a heartbeat. Less holding on a more respected team. Better coaching, and a winning culture awaits him if he leaves. Those ignorant posters that call him dumb and stupid, while you may have your opinion, may not be able to match his intelligence.

Praxit

Reaction score
Someone else will pay him big money. We all thought Robert Quinn wasn’t leaving and bam Chicago paid him a fortune. At least he backed it up as he had 18 sacks this year
...I saw that, and thought wow! 18 sacks. Jerry paid the wrong guy, with Dlaw.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Jerry's been like a father to Randy giving him so many chances. This was the first season Randy stayed out of trouble. Seems as though many have suggested that Jerry should be able to retain Randy on a team-friendly deal, but that seems a little optimistic.

He’s already signed two different one-year extensions for a bargain price, so one could argue he’s already given the team enough of a discount. With his one true chance to cash in on some money, you have to figure Randy & his agent will maximize this opportunity, & there stands a good chance that it won’t fall within the amount that Stephen is willing to pay for his services. Say good-bye once & for all!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dlaw was by himself..... easy to take him out. Gregory had to deal with pot tests that kept him from being anything.

Get rid of Dlaw and Micah and watch teams work on negating Micah. They cant do that with gregory on one side Dlaw on the other and Micah going wherever he wants.

Bottom line is all our picks came from pass rush being present. Yout hink all those years of no interceptions and no pass rush was a coincidence? You think it was a coincidence that as soon as we got a pass rush, we got lots of interceptions?
I think its DQ.