Re-signing Randy Gregory will be yet another FA mistake by the Front-Office

Creeper

Reaction score
As always, it depends on the contract. If Gregory is willing to take $12 million for 3 years, why not re-sign him? He is not perfect, but he can be disruptive if used correctly. That's not a lot of money for a DE like Gregory. Unfortunately, I think Gregory gets an offer closer to $16 million which is probably too much for the type of player he is. If he could get himself under control he would be a better player.

If he was more disciplined, I might be willing to pay him something like that. But he isn't and I have no idea if he can be. The sacks and pressures are great but when he makes dumb penalties or doesn't stay in his position yielding a big play it is maddening. The Cowboys are in a bind at DE, thanks to Jerry. They have Lawrence making way more than he is worth. Then they have Gregory and Armstrong who are free agents. So who do they have left? Basham and Golston? That would be a really bad situation if that is all the Cowboys have as starters for 2023.

That's why I would try to sign Gregory, keep Lawrence, and see what is available in the draft. The CAP is going to hurt the Cowboys this year but maybe strengthening the defense will keep them competitive.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That would make no sense losing both DE, we would be in trouble and getting a top DE in the draft that late in the 1st rd I doubt happens. So in my view the choice comes down to Gregory or DLaw.

Exactly but if it's Gregory, how much you willing to pay. Just me but lets look at the same template Stephen used for DLaw long-term deal. He was injured and missed most of 2016 season. Only had 1 sack but 14.5 in 2017 the final year of his deal. Stephen tagged him and according to DLaw, promised a long-term if he had another season with double-digit sacks, he had 10 and got his deal. Gregory doesn't have near as much skin on the wall. My point, I don't see Stephen even offering him a market value long-term deal. I'm guessing he will offer either a low ball cheap long-term or a decent one year offer.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarcus-lawrence-14443/stats-valuation/

quickccc

Reaction score
we can resign him, but not over pay. anything more than 8-10M per year is too much

He's gonna be paid according to Market value around the league- and based off how the Cowboys value him as well..
i tend to think it's gonna be the 11-12 mill area, its not gonna be this "hometown discount.

- And i don't see the Cowboys having standing by his side and supporting him both of field and on field since he's entering the NFL
thru the substance suspensions and even insisting the right coach support around him (ala firing ex-DL coach Jim Tomsula)
..only just to let him go in FA off to a Philly team.

- The age status (age 30 next Nov) and long term projection years is likely gonna be a negotiation challenge. and Gregory camp likely gonna point that he does not have the
wear toll that most players his age has during their career.
But off physical ability and projection off a productive re-start year - (and he's already been slated as a Pro Bowl alternate) the notice around the league is already definitely there

i don't see Cowboys Not re-signing Gregory. The franchise tag would prove challenging to a team already over the team cap.
But usually when the Cowboys want to re-sign their priority core players - it gets done.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Josh sweat had 6 sacks last year. He got 3 years 40 mil with 26 guaranteed. Must be nice to be a decent pass rusher.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
e1e71f43cd3adf51aac03132d7c1adbd970a0985f40cb3b01efd05ff2af40ee3_c62a2bf3-a0d5-4228-92e2-e48a019349a3_2048x2048.jpg

ShortRound

Reaction score
Re-signing this guy to a market value contract will be a huge mistake. Dude is too inconsistent, commits boneheaded penalties, and is totally unreliable.

Unless he wants to come back for the minimum, move on. Giving him a big contract would be along the lines of the Jaylon Smith, Demarcus Lawerence, and Nolan Caroll.

Dude has been in the league for 7 years and has 16.5 sacks (yes i know he has missed some seasons). Id much rather give whatever he is slated to make to Von Miller, but we know this FO doesnt believe in bringing in high priced FAs, just to turn around and overpay our overrated players.

Move on

Guaranteed his production will drop off once he gets that deal.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
To me it is nothing personal about Gregory because he did play well at times this year.

Instead it is more about experience of paying defensive players that did not work out or live up to their contract.

As much as we would like to have great players at every position, this is one of those situations where it is time to move on if Gregory gets high offers from other teams.

Totally agree, the Jones are in a tough position when it comes to DLmen. Gregory will get a good offer in FA, but DLAW counts crazy money towards the cap and makes 20mil per year (get rid of DLAW). They cant afford to lose both of them and will have to figure who to keep and how to replace the other one.

IMO - you just can afford to keep a declining DLAW at 20mil a year and 27mil CAP hit.... I would try and keep Gregory and look to find a FA to replace DLAW... someone like a Robert Quinn type who will come in a decent value.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Exactly but if it's Gregory, how much you willing to pay. Just me but lets look at the same template Stephen used for DLaw long-term deal. He was injured and missed most of 2016 season. Only had 1 sack but 14.5 in 2017 the final year of his deal. Stephen tagged him and according to DLaw, promised a long-term if he had another season with double-digit sacks, he had 10 and got his deal. Gregory doesn't have near as much skin on the wall. My point, I don't see Stephen even offering him a market value long-term deal. I'm guessing he will offer either a low ball cheap long-term or a decent one year offer.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/demarcus-lawrence-14443/stats-valuation/

With Gregory, not sure the market value is, he is the same age as DLaw had a good season not great. Thing that hurts DLaw is the 2nd highest paid player on the team. In the end as I said I think Dallas keeps 1 of the starting DE but not both. Pros and cons on both.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Last year was Randy Gregory's greatest effort to date as a professional and in all honesty it was pretty underwhelming. It was also the most important season for him personally that he will ever have. There is a very good chance that it will be the best season of football he will ever have. He will only get older and have less reason to play. If that is the type of player you want to reward and lock in with a long term guaranteed deal then have at it.

Sydla

Reaction score
Re-signing this guy to a market value contract will be a huge mistake. Dude is too inconsistent, commits boneheaded penalties, and is totally unreliable.

Unless he wants to come back for the minimum, move on. Giving him a big contract would be along the lines of the Jaylon Smith, Demarcus Lawerence, and Nolan Caroll.

Dude has been in the league for 7 years and has 16.5 sacks (yes i know he has missed some seasons). Id much rather give whatever he is slated to make to Von Miller, but we know this FO doesnt believe in bringing in high priced FAs, just to turn around and overpay our overrated players.

Move on

I am curious to what his actual market value is. He's not going to get Robert Quinn type money but I am curious to see what kind of market develops for him. I honestly have no idea how he's viewed around the league.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Randy is a dumb fb player. His stupidity wipes out any talent or upside he may have. Let him walk.

dware94

Reaction score
I see a lot of the cons to signing Gregory but i dont see any solutions. Are we good with Gholston/Basham/Draft pick? Name the pass rusher we can sign in FA at a decent price without much production drop off. It's a pretty ugly list of guys we cant afford and has-beens.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I agree re: Gregory, but if you're Von Miller why would you leave the Rams to join Jerry's circus? I could see him taking a discount to stay with them. I would.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
That is too much for a stupid player
Randy can't help but be Randy. Had a player on my Highschool team that was very gifted. Coach gave him 6th and 7th chances because of the potential he possessed.

we still call him "Can't get right" to this day. At 54 years old he still runs a 4.5 40. Both of his nephews got drafted this year. Suratt brothers. one played at North Carolina and the other at Pitt I think, not sure.

kskboys

Reaction score

Move on
Agree. At this point, any GM w/ a farthing of sense would consider Ganjory nothing more than a decent rotational guy. Offer him up 3 or 4 mill, and move on if he wants a monster contract.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Someone else will pay him big money. We all thought Robert Quinn wasn’t leaving and bam Chicago paid him a fortune. At least he backed it up as he had 18 sacks this year

Yep, it only takes one team. Notice it wasn't a well-run team, though. They paid him big money, like their big move for Mack, and where did it get them?