Reaching for Draft picks and excuses

Kwyn

Reaction score
I cant follow your need list.

We already had Tyler for LT, so i cant see LT as a real need. And we needed a NT also.
Sure we have Mazi but he couldnt beat out Hankins in two years and he has health concerns where you dont know what to expect in the future from him. So essentially you have no starting NT.

My need list was (in that priority):

Center
NT
LB
LG
Tyler is going to play LG. He’s better there. People need to get over it.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Tyler is going to play LG. He’s better there. People need to get over it.
I dont know what people have troubles with. I for myself just said LT wasnt a real need.
Try to understand what i write please. Else its hard to communicate.

csirl

Reaction score
Everyone who needs a QB gets one.......except us.

The lack of draft investment in the QB position is a joke. I accept the top 6 were out of reach, but we should have taken one in the mid rounds.

Brooksey

Reaction score
When exactly are we going to hear "well there was noise behind us that several teams wanted the guy we drafted?" They like to sell us really hard on this excuse. Several of the players we got we could have gotten later on in the draft. I'm not ready to write off any of these players who haven't even played yet, I wish them all the best! I just think the Cowboys reached a bit when they may have not had to,, please give your thoughts
Most all the picks were value picks, what are you even you talking about? We moved early on Liafu because he is the future MLB for Kendricks in 2025 and that was our only shot at him.
I have no problem with that move at all.

This was the best draft we have had in some time in the trenches.

KevinHickey22

Reaction score
I like the first 3 picks. Liufua is the one pick I would change. I would have taken the RB, LLoyd there, and if not LLoyd then Trotter. I don't understand this pick - unless they think he can add 10 lbs effectively. Maybe he was a Zimmer pick.

They have so many holes it is impossible to fill them all with one draft. I suspect they have their eyes on a few RBs in the 6th and 7th round.

Also, remember what Jerry said. They are expecting some younger players on their roster to step up this year. They think they may have what they need already on the roster so the urgency to draft certain guys is not there for them. I disagree but they are doing the picking, not me.
I think they loved the way he plays and with no fourth round selection; they didn’t want to miss him.

starfan1

Reaction score

The lack of draft investment in the QB position is a joke. I accept the top 6 were out of reach, but we should have taken one in the mid rounds.
we did 4th round

rambo2

Reaction score
When exactly are we going to hear "well there was noise behind us that several teams wanted the guy we drafted?" They like to sell us really hard on this excuse. Several of the players we got we could have gotten later on in the draft. I'm not ready to write off any of these players who haven't even played yet, I wish them all the best! I just think the Cowboys reached a bit when they may have not had to,, please give your thoughts
Several? They actually got very good value on their picks. The only reach was at 87 with the linebacker that they wanted.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
I dont know what people have troubles with. I for myself just said LT wasnt a real need.
Try to understand what i write please. Else its hard to communicate.
Well it is a need because Smith's a (All-Pro) Guard.
Trying to 'understand' what you've written over the weekend, you don't like Smith as a Guard and that we should of made do with Bass at LG.
What we've do is created a strong and flexible O-Line. Even with injuries we could maintain a good line (which also helps 2025, with whichever QB we have....especially helping a rookie, if we choose that route).

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
One thing I think the Cowboys have earned over the years is trust in their scouting and drafting due to McClay and his management.
:laugh:......They are the problem. They can't identify what this team is lacking. Look @ this roster right now. You take away Lamb....no one on that offense scares anyone

Creeper

Reaction score
I think they loved the way he plays and with no fourth round selection; they didn’t want to miss him.
I do not understand this logic, if this is fact what they were thinking. I mean I understand the lack of a 4th round pick but that would have driven me more in the direction of a RB, not a LB. Did they really believe Liufau is so good they absolutely had to have him on the team? If they didn't take him, and took Lloyd, for example, would they really miss Liufau?

I guess a lesson to be learned here is don't trade away your draft picks for player who will not contribute. Trading their 4th round pick for Trey Lance came back to bite them. And Lance may never play a down for them.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Beebe is going to play Center

Also, how did you leave off Tackle as a need?
Beebe has no experience playing Center, so there is that.

As for leaving Tackle out, it's because it already was addressed in the 1st round.

rambo2

Reaction score

They have 3 qbs. They tool a qb in the 4th round.

conner01

Reaction score
We may have reached on one pick. Overal considering the number and place of picks it was a solid draft. Nothing like reaching for Mazi in the first lol

rambo2

Reaction score
It’s nauseating watching the Cowboys war room. So smug despite years of post season failure. It’s so hard remaining a Cowboys fan but it’s so entrenched in my being I can’t shake it lol
They draft very well. They know they are good at it.