Reactionary phase over. this pick makes a lot of sense

MoistMayonnaise

Devil's Advocate
Reaction score
I hope Smith and all of our draft picks play well, but I think there were better players available and we could have gotten him in the second round.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Wonder if Jerry makes him wear #54 so he can peddle off those extra jerseys at full price.....the ones Jaylon already paid for that is.

Flamma

Reaction score
After a night of shaking my head, I've looked into this Tyson Smith pick further, and it's really not that bad of a reach pick.

He's not the traditional "project player" that we all tend to hate in early rounds.

Smith is big enough, strong enough, quick enough, and nasty enough to play in the league RIGHT NOW. I get so tired of waiting for guys to spend 2 years in the weight room before they can stand up to NFL defensive linemen. Not the case with this kid. He's ready in that regard.

Technique isn't hard to teach if the player has the athletic and physical tools already. Smith will require coaching, but he's also got Tyron right next to him, and he has very much the same frame.

Smith is a natural left tackle, so he can immediately play at guard, then slide over when Tyron retires. That alone makes a ton of sense to pick a guy like this.

At that point in the draft with what was left, I would have preferred one of the two linebackers there so Parsons could run free. However, this offensive line issue is looming large, and so I get it.

Plus, I do trust McClay, and apparently he like this guy a lot even if it wasn't his preferred pick to fall to Dallas.

Tonight has to make this pick make perfect sense however.

I agree it's a good pick. A good pick to maintain the status quo. Nothing in this offseason leads me to believe the goal is a championship. This pick confirms that. Even though it's a good pick.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
The pro ready size and weight is a very good point. His technique will get him trouble but he won’t be walked back into the QB like Connor Williams

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don't agree.

He was holding in space. When he could get his hands inside defenders pads, he was solid. Limiting him in space should limit his penalties

I strongly agree. Having him in tighter quarters at guard means far less reaching and IMHO far less holding. I think he has the power to maul and that's what we're getting and more importantly it's what we need. If he develops into a tackle level athlete then move him to tackle when Tyron retires..

Creeper

Reaction score
After a night of shaking my head, I've looked into this Tyson Smith pick further, and it's really not that bad of a reach pick.

He's not the traditional "project player" that we all tend to hate in early rounds.

Smith is big enough, strong enough, quick enough, and nasty enough to play in the league RIGHT NOW. I get so tired of waiting for guys to spend 2 years in the weight room before they can stand up to NFL defensive linemen. Not the case with this kid. He's ready in that regard.

Technique isn't hard to teach if the player has the athletic and physical tools already. Smith will require coaching, but he's also got Tyron right next to him, and he has very much the same frame.

Smith is a natural left tackle, so he can immediately play at guard, then slide over when Tyron retires. That alone makes a ton of sense to pick a guy like this.

At that point in the draft with what was left, I would have preferred one of the two linebackers there so Parsons could run free. However, this offensive line issue is looming large, and so I get it.

Plus, I do trust McClay, and apparently he like this guy a lot even if it wasn't his preferred pick to fall to Dallas.

Tonight has to make this pick make perfect sense however.

I agree with some of this but there is no guarantee he learns technique right away or ever. His problem is he get his arms up late and outside allowing DEs to get inside where they win the leverage battle. Smith then resorts to grabbing and throwing. In the NFL he will get penalized on every play he does that. My question is, if he did not learn from playing in college why do we think he will get it right away in the pros.

If he is not ready by September, who is playing LG? McGovern most likely. Who knows, maybe he learned from his first real experience last year.

On the plus side, Smith keeps his legs moving into his blocks which make him very effecting in the running game. He is naturally strong, as you say so he does have some skills. But what if in his first game he gets flagged for holding 3 times? Then what?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I strongly agree. Having him in tighter quarters at guard means far less reaching and IMHO far less holding. I think he has the power to maul and that's what we're getting and more importantly it's what we need. If he develops into a tackle level athlete then move him to tackle when Tyron retires..
I DO like the possible upside as an LT, and he has time on that.

Also his good plays are pretty impressive.

Things I wonder....

He sounds coachable, but if he is playing with poor technique, will he still be the same guy once he no longer has the crutch, and has to think and play at the same time?

Also is Philbin the guy to learn from? He is very tied to MM and Smith may very well have two OL coaches in his first two years.

For a team that needed immediate help, I'm not sure that was answered with this pick.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm definitely rooting for this guy!! I hope he becomes a great lineman. My biggest concern since last season, is our o-line coach. I'm not impressed with him. Will he be able to coach T. Smith up enough to make him a good/great lineman? That is the million dollar question.

Machete

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
My biggest concern about this pick is not the player...but the OLine coach. Don't trust Philbin to coach him up and clear the footwork and hand issues to avoid all those costly penalties.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
My only problem with the pick is there is another guy with the same frame as Tyler Smith, that plays very similar. Marquis Hayes. And we could get Hayes in the third round. That means, when Dallas falls in love with a guy they aren't looking around in the draft to find similar players. You know a guy is a stand out in his draft class when there is nobody you can compare him too. That's how you find the real studs in every draft. Using comparisons.
Correct. This FO absolutely stinks at using comparisons and making the better and wiser picks in each round. It's their way or the highway, and over the years, their way has stunk.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm definitely rooting for this guy!! I hope he becomes a great lineman. My biggest concern since last season, is our o-line coach. I'm not impressed with him. Will he be able to coach T. Smith up enough to make him a good/great lineman? That is the million dollar question.

My biggest concern about this pick is not the player...but the OLine coach. Don't trust Philbin to coach him up and clear the footwork and hand issues to avoid all those costly penalties.

You guys both touch on my main fear as well. Philbin gets credit for Steele taking a huge step forward but pretty much everybody else regressed on his watch. Knight, McGovern, Williams, and Collins all played below replacement level IMHO and even Tyron and Zack have not played up to their usual all world level under him. And the biggest change in Steele was just his ridiculous dedication to the offseason program reworking his body. I don't think Philbin gets much credit for that. Then there is the specter of Moore not wanting to maul people running the ball in the first place. The coaching issues definite worry me more than the player here.

kskboys

Reaction score
Really, this simply comes down to whether we can fix what ails him. If the holding continues, terrible pick. If he can be fixed, great pick.

I do like that he is a big powerful mauler whose strength is NFL ready.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Tyler Smith's hand technique is about as rough as you'll find for a 1st round pick. He has only played offensive line for 2 seasons in high school and 2 seasons in college, and it shows.

The hope is that Philbin can give him the teaching he's never really got to date, but my worry is that Fletcher Cox and Jon Allen are going to smoke him well before he learns and kill his confidence.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Of course we are all rooting for the guy (aside from the probable few that would rather be right).

If you want to focus on his upside there's a lot to like.

I wouldn't call it the safest pick though, and interior OL in round one ought to be more of a sure thing, especially when there's a gaping hole in the starting lineup.

But....the safe dudes were gone. That what happens when you win 12 games lol.

Prime21

Reaction score
The pick does make sense. Smith is a road grader with a mean streak. Getting our offenses physical identity back is priority one. Plugging this guy in at LG helps with that. He also has the body and athleticism to move to LT when Tyron retires.

His mean streak and tenacity remind me of Trent Williams. The penalties are concerning but he is young and smart and I believe in his ability to improve. I think playing inside early in his career will help.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We obviously picked for need as the DE from Fl St and Center from Iowa were the BPA as following picks illustrated.

We will be watching how those players career develop versus our guy.
Linderbaum is undersized and not much different than what we have. Johnson has some weaknesses as well.

BobSacamano

Reaction score
I agree with all you said,
My issue is, is that the front office refused to address Oline in free agency whatsoever and put us in a position to pick for need over BPA.
That is not a long term winning strategy in the NFL.
Dallas didn’t address DE and LB properly in free agency either. Those two positions had good players available at 24 as well. Would you consider those selections as drafting for need?