1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Reactionary phase over. this pick makes a lot of sense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by erod, Apr 29, 2022.

1. G2

G2 Taco Engineer

21,374 Messages
    23,024 Likes Received
    When you have a player there on your board, waiting 32 picks is almost a certainty he wouldn't be there. There were other teams interested in him.

Runwildboys likes this.
  2. G2

G2 Taco Engineer

21,374 Messages
    23,024 Likes Received
    I was hoping they'd pick Dean. And, he's still there. I'd move up to pick him.

3. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

24,788 Messages
    13,301 Likes Received
    every scouting report had one thing in common. his technique is bad, he is just big and strong, having played against inferior competition and even then he got 16 flags last year...IN COLLEGE!!!!!!

essentially we drafted a project with the first round pick.

fivetwos and CowboyChris like this.
  4. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

12,830 Messages
    12,389 Likes Received
    Williams held because he was getting overpowered. This kid held bc of technique ...i think that is a big difference.

5. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

12,830 Messages
    12,389 Likes Received
    I saw enough film of him dominating a projected 2nd rnd pick in this draft to feel comfortable that level of comp won't be an issue.

blueblood70 likes this.
  6. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    18,570 Messages
    34,323 Likes Received
    Never heard this Tea, but it sounds good (lol)

7. Hawkeye0202

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    18,570 Messages
    34,323 Likes Received
    Excellent point......in other words, fixable

Runwildboys and Ken like this.
  8. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

22,108 Messages
    16,960 Likes Received
    I don't care what position they took, because we have needs pretty much across the board. I worry about the player's talent level. So how is that?

9. phildadon86

phildadon86 Well-Known Member

18,306 Messages
    25,153 Likes Received
    I’m more mad that they didn’t draft the defensive end. Getting a guard like Salyer later would have been just fine if they grabbed Jermaine Johnson. They also passed on the best center prospect in the past decade because they are comfortable with Biasasz. It’s an absolute joke especially after their lack of FA spending

10. Hawkeye0202

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    18,570 Messages
    34,323 Likes Received
    Love it but don't be surprised if he makes a home at LG. I keep saying, he couldn't have any better mentorship playing Zack Martin's position next the Tyron Smith.

Typhus likes this.
  11. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

45,283 Messages
    23,846 Likes Received
    The Cowboys say he has position flex and we need a replacement at LT when Tyron misses games. His availability certainly can’t be depended on. We can analyze the pick all we want but no one will know what we have until the games start.

Typhus likes this.
  12. Typhus

Typhus Captain Catfish

15,827 Messages
    17,947 Likes Received
    TS will miss 6 games, and we can plug him for experience and eventual replacement.
    TS has been a hero, and finding a starting LT is usually a top 5 choice.
    We get TS understudy at 24 with no trade up, which is not a bad deal considering our position with draft capital.

MichaelWinicki likes this.
  13. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

12,830 Messages
    12,389 Likes Received
    Here is one that I came across around the Senior Bowl....

Smith went under the radar during the 2021 season, but area scouts who cover Tulsa raved about him.Here's what one area scout texted me about Smith, "If Tyler Smith blows up his combine and workouts, he could go top 10. He's more gifted than the other offensive tackles in this class besides the N.C. State kid. Smith is 6-foot-5, 325 pounds with 34-plus-inch arms. As violent as he plays and the fact he can play guard also, I could see someone pushing him up because he's only 20 and smart also. He'll hover bottom 1/early 2 until workouts and then we'll see how he handles process.

https://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Senior-Bowl-2022-Rumors-Monday

Also worth noting what they said about Drake London lol

NotForLong likes this.
  14. atlantacowboy

atlantacowboy Well-Known Member

CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
    15,145 Messages
    20,643 Likes Received
    Its a need pick that fills a hole rather than upgrade a position. The Jones boys put the team in that position by sleeping through free agency and being overly concerned about future cap space.

Unlike last year when you knew the defense got better as soon as they announced the first round pick, can we really say the OL is better now than it was last year? Nope.

I just hope we get more talent today that can step in sooner and help.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  15. Typhus

Typhus Captain Catfish

15,827 Messages
    17,947 Likes Received
    I dont believe we are done addressing the OL in this draft.
    Smith pick will look totally different as far as projection when we draft our 2nd OL in this draft.
    OL is getting addressed one way or the other, doesnt matter if any of us bystanders approve or not.

Mark likes this.
  16. Grenic

Grenic Well-Known Member

694 Messages
    709 Likes Received
    Probably won't play at all of he does get ready for holdapalozza

17. Typhus

Typhus Captain Catfish

15,827 Messages
    17,947 Likes Received
    He will start immediately day 1.

18. America's Cowboy

America's Cowboy Well-Known Member

CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
    23,606 Messages
    35,086 Likes Received
    You forgot to mention, the Eagles added monster and super aggressive & athletic DT Jordan Davis. Tyler Smith is definitely going to get exposed early and often while getting any confidence destroyed. Result: another terrible pick!

Should and could have waited until the 3rd & 4th rounds to pickup someone proven at LG from a big school and conference like LSU's Ed Ingram or OSU's Marquis Hayes. But, hey, we have to keep cheering for these fools' terrible draft decisions!!!
    :facepalm:

19. cowboyec

cowboyec Well-Known Member

31,940 Messages
    38,604 Likes Received
    he's a good player with a chance to be even better.
    excellent run blocker.
    love the traits.
    love the physicality.
    this was a solid pick.
    :starspin:PROTECT OUR QB:starspin:

NotForLong and blueblood70 like this.
  20. MaineBoy

MaineBoy Well-Known Member

1,768 Messages
    1,650 Likes Received
    Context: there were much better players and values on the board and you missed them for this guy. Plus, he needs to be coached up by our OL coach who everyone except MM thinks is awful ? It’s definitely uncertain how this is going to turn out. How about they had gotten a good vet in free agency and were able to use this pick on a potentially great defender.