Real GMs

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I never said Jimmy should get all the credit I'm saying Jerry changed after the media gave Jimmy credit and has not done things the same....thats from Jerry's own mouth not mine...he will never let a coach be the center of it again..even BP got a little rope for a new stadium then Jerry took the center stage back as soon as he could...
I never said that you claimed that. I said "you guys boil it down into the pissing match between Jerry and Jimmy where Jimmy acted like he did it all." After all you wrote "While Jimmy was here who was selecting players and saying who played and what was the result."

I as just pointing out that Brandt and Ciskowski were there. They were Landry holdovers and scouted and drafted Irvin and Aikman. Jimmy preferred Walsh. When Jimmy's guy Francis was not there, they settled for Brandt's board and Emmitt Smith. They also selected Lett and Allen out of small schools.

Jimmy had plenty of great picks like Williams and Stepnoski too.

Even Jerry picked his spots with getting the Rooney and DeBartolos to talk on the Everett and Haley trades.

Jerry was part of that success.

I have no idea what you are talking about with Jerry changing. Jerry had always been a credit seeking personality.

Jimmy got pissed when Jerry got credit for the Haley and Everett trades. I don't know that he changed but eh did pretty famously bash Jerry's football chops to anyone who would listen while he forced his way out of town.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wg1SkP7.gif

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From a organizational standpoint, how is Jerry as GM, Brandt as McClay, and Jimmy as HC any different than what they are doing today?
In my opinion, overall player evaluation, from scout to Gil Brandt, was more independent and separate from Jerry Jones. Likewise, Jones was more filtered from player assessment and designation within the roster acquisition processes between Brandt and Jimmy Johnson.

My perspective (and perhaps solely my own on the site) does not appraise the franchise's front office structure and/or hierarchy statically but dynamically in regard to what they actually do. Management level personnel changes have always been a business reality. Case in point: Boeing had a transition in chief executive officer--from Dennis Muilenburg to David Calhoun. Organizationally, CEO remained the same. How each executive performed their duties, whether better or worse than their successor or predecessor, changed.

As such, my answer is there has not been any *extreme* differences in organizational structure from then until now positionally for the three you specified. My stance (and numerous postings) has been the general manager should be upgraded from Jones to a more qualified football executive.

Jones named himself as GM upon purchasing the franchise. His lack of qualification was primarily offset by Johnson and Brandt's. I do believe a similar situation could possibly be dynamically the same presently *if* Will McClay and Mike McCarthy were as independent, separate and filtered from Jones as their two counterparts had been.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
From a organizational standpoint, how is Jerry as GM, Brandt as McClay, and Jimmy as HC any different than what they are doing today?
Because Jerry for the first 4 years was only working on the failing business side of the organization ...... and Jimmy was making all football decisions ...... Jerry was told Curvin Richards was cut after the fact, later in the afternoon, and he was a 4th round pick.

Do you think McCarthy would cut someone without asking Jerry?

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Real GM's dont look at a players team Championships while with a team when deciding if the player can play and/or improve their team.

Reggie Miller would be highly sought after in todays NBA...but has no Championships under his belt.

A GM would be unqualified to look at him as not being worth acquiring assuming they were willing and able.

Why is this board over-run with team stats defining a player?

Does this hurt the boards narrative?

What is this scrambled eggs post trying to tell us?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jerry doesn’t actually do GM work and I think most around here know that.

He just keeps the title so he can pull off his little lie should they happen to win. Meanwhile that’s exactly what keeps them from winning, but carry on Jerry.

Many of us jumped on the bus when Coach, a genuine class act, was running things. Now that we can’t get off that bus, we are stuck watching your ego show up front and close.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Because Jerry for the first 4 years was only working on the failing business side of the organization ...... and Jimmy was making all football decisions ...... Jerry was told Curvin Richards was cut after the fact, later in the afternoon, and he was a 4th round pick.

You are grasping.

You have no idea who Jimmy did or did not talk to back then.

I like how you assume the answer to your question but know you cannot prove it so just put the onus on me.

FWIW, I think MM can cut the 79th man on the roster and get no pushback. Jimmy could not have just cut Aikman or Emmitt either.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Like saying the Pope could have been a Catholic and just vote a certain group. This is a sport and well evaluated for a long time with top sport minds.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
You are grasping.
No ...... that would be you.

It is a well known fact that Jimmy was completely in charge of Football operations ........ when Jerry wanted to start being involved is when it turned bad between them.

He started interfering with football operations by bringing guys like Prince Bandar bin Sultan into team meetings.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No ...... that would be you.

It is a well known fact that Jimmy was completely in charge of Football operations ........ when Jerry wanted to start being involved is when it turned bad between them.

He started interfering with football operations by bringing guys like Prince Bandar bin Sultan into team meetings.
The Prince as brought to the sideline.

Jerry always had executive authority as owner. Never relinquished it. Cannot really.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
The Prince as brought to the sideline.
He was brought into the locker room ...... when Jimmy was having a team meeting

"At least twice, Bandar was the subject of explosions between the two. On December 27, 1992, a 27-14 victory over the Chicago Bears, Johnson turned around and noticed the prince standing on the sideline with his 20-member entourage. Johnson was irate and even more so after the game when Jones brought them into the Cowboys’ locker room. And something similar transpired on December 26, 1993, a 38-3 defeat of the Washington Commanders. This time, Johnson closed the locker room and left both Jones and Bandar outside waiting. When the doors opened and they were able to enter, Johnson breezed by them and left."

https://richardpennington.com/2023/06/jerry-jones-jimmy-johnson-and-prince-bandar/

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
In my opinion, overall player evaluation, from scout to Gil Brandt, was more independent and separate from Jerry Jones. Likewise, Jones was more filtered from player assessment and designation within the roster acquisition processes between Brandt and Jimmy Johnson.

My perspective (and perhaps solely my own on the site) does not appraise the franchise's front office structure and/or hierarchy statically but dynamically in regard to what they actually do. Management level personnel changes have always been a business reality. Case in point: Boeing had a transition in chief executive officer--from Dennis Muilenburg to David Calhoun. Organizationally, CEO remained the same. How each executive performed their duties, whether better or worse than their successor or predecessor, changed.

As such, my answer is there has not been any *extreme* differences in organizational structure from then until now positionally for the three you specified. My stance (and numerous postings) has been the general manager should be upgraded from Jones to a more qualified football executive.

Jones named himself as GM upon purchasing the franchise. His lack of qualification was primarily offset by Johnson and Brandt's. I do believe a similar situation could possibly be dynamically the same presently *if* Will McClay and Mike McCarthy were as independent, separate and filtered from Jones as their two counterparts had been.
Brandt had more power to act independently than McClay? Not buying it.

The CEO didn't change. In fact if Jerry changed his title to CEO and gave McClay the GM title changing nothing else you would have what you want and nothing would functionally change.

CCBoy

Reaction score
He was brought into the locker room ...... when Jimmy was having a team meeting

"At least twice, Bandar was the subject of explosions between the two. On December 27, 1992, a 27-14 victory over the Chicago Bears, Johnson turned around and noticed the prince standing on the sideline with his 20-member entourage. Johnson was irate and even more so after the game when Jones brought them into the Cowboys’ locker room. And something similar transpired on December 26, 1993, a 38-3 defeat of the Washington Commanders. This time, Johnson closed the locker room and left both Jones and Bandar outside waiting. When the doors opened and they were able to enter, Johnson breezed by them and left."

https://richardpennington.com/2023/06/jerry-jones-jimmy-johnson-and-prince-bandar/
Who signed the pay checks...:thumbdown: