Realistically, what record do you see the Cowboys finishing this season?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You really think it's unheard of for a bad team to go on a winning streak?

Anything could happen. Argue about two sides of a found, but if you look at it from any angle..there's 360 sides.

Folks will argue any way you spin it. Literally any way possible.

I never argued against this. I addressed someone suggesting it's impossible. Maybe get context?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We lost to the Jets and this place thinks we can't lose to a team like the Bears. LOL unreal. The short term memory is like a week here.

Been watching the Cowboys for over 50 years now, if there's one thing I've learned through the years it's that the Cowboys nearly always have at least one game a year they play down to the level of their opponents. Methinks the Jets game was that, so I'd throw out that game, they just didn't take the Jets seriously imho.

As far as the "tough schedule" goes, teams like the Lions and others get lauded when they play well a game or two, and their sorry history gets ignored. I don't see the Bears, Lions, Vikings and Bills are more than average teams, same as the Cowboys currently.

I'm going with 9-7 myself, penciling in an obvious loss to the Pats just due to the certainty of being out-coached, and I agree the Eagles is a probable loss, last game and I don't see the Eagles being in the playoffs, they'll be gunning to ruin our season, either knocking us out of the playoffs or putting us down in the seeding. The rest are winnable in my view. Now will they win the others? That depends on player health, weather, the other teams' health and whether or not they are playing for a high draft choice, etc. Just too far ahead to know that....

GenoT

Reaction score
I’m on record for a preseason prediction of 11-5, and still believe that’s doable. But it would be tough.

NE is probably a L, and we’ll likely lose at least 2 of Vikes, Rams, and/or Eagles. So 10-6 is probably more realistic.

The big question is, which team is gonna show up for which games?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Been watching the Cowboys for over 50 years now, if there's one thing I've learned through the years it's that the Cowboys nearly always have at least one game a year they play down to the level of their opponents. Methinks the Jets game was that, so I'd throw out that game, they just didn't take the Jets seriously imho.

As far as the "tough schedule" goes, teams like the Lions and others get lauded when they play well a game or two, and their sorry history gets ignored. I don't see the Bears, Lions, Vikings and Bills are more than average teams, same as the Cowboys currently.

I'm going with 9-7 myself, penciling in an obvious loss to the Pats just due to the certainty of being out-coached, and I agree the Eagles is a probable loss, last game and I don't see the Eagles being in the playoffs, they'll be gunning to ruin our season, either knocking us out of the playoffs or putting us down in the seeding. The rest are winnable in my view. Now will they win the others? That depends on player health, weather, the other teams' health and whether or not they are playing for a high draft choice, etc. Just too far ahead to know that....

The Lions, Bears, Vikings, and Bills are hardly just "average". They may not be great on both sides of the ball, but they are teams that either have dangerous offenses or good/great defenses. 2 of those teams will probably be in the playoffs, the other 2 will be fighting for a spot at the end, so at most you have Lions and Bears as being average, but still dangerous. However you spin it, this a tough stretch of games.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
I say 6-10. It sucks to say this but I haven't seen enough from this team to say they will be above 10 wins. They dominated against a .500 team that was Philly in Week 7, however, Dallas has a problem with consistency and they likely won't dominate like this for the rest of the season. We really messed up by losing to the freaking Jets as well, and I have a feeling that that loss is going to come back to bite us in the arse.

Just by looking at the schedule, I say:
NYG: W. They look way better with "Danny Dimes", but I think we can still come up with a W on this one. I know our defense can be pretty horrendous sometimes, but that Giants D is rough. I forgot who they got added to their D, but we have a new weapon as well so it will be nice to see how these new additions work out.

Vikings: L. Good WR duo, Kirk is getting better and better, good running game, good defense and a competent coach. This is not a good match up. Being at home doesn't really help either like it would for other teams in the league.

Lions: L. They're better than their record says they are. Their defense is average, but Stafford does work some magic with that offense. He's had a lot of 20-30+ point games this season. They almost won against the Chiefs and got cheated against the Packers. I can't see Dallas beating them. Not with the mentality they currently have.

Patriots: L. Nuff said. Belichick and that now historically good defense. You could make the argument that they haven't played anyone "great" but never doubt the Patriots. Doesn't help that we'll be away in a cold environment. This Dallas team won't be prepared mentally or physically for this game.

Bills: L. I know a lot will say that their record looks better than what they actually are, but teams tend to turn it up before they play Dallas. That defense is still pretty good. The offense leaves a lot to be desired however. This will also be a short week game. We are coming from the Pats game, where we got our butts kicked. Our team will not be physically or mentally ready.

Bears: L. Same for the Bills. Good D, bad offense, Probably going to turn it up before they play Dallas like every team does. We'll be more rest for this game, actually. Once again, this Dallas coaching will NOT scheme or plan for the Bears, and the team once again will not be mentally prepared.

Rams: L. We got our butts whooped by their running game in the playoffs, and they'll likely do it again unless our run D improves. Rams have been up and down this season, but they will still likely outcoach us. This could be a revenge game, but I doubt this Dallas team has enough fire to seek revenge against this team. It is true that Gurley nor Goff has looked GREAT this season, but once again, they will likely turn it up for this game. They are also fighting for a wild card spot since the 49ers or Seahawks will win that division, so a lot of their games are important.

Eagles: L. Eagles are coming off easy wins this late in the schedule, they will be home, and they will be hungry for revenge after their embarrassing loss against us earlier in the season. By this time, it will likely be too late for the Cowboys to resurge, so they'll likely try to win (Why? because mediocrity.) Why not just try to lose to go ahead and get a better draft pick? Either way, Dallas will try to win, but Philly may try to come out on top to better their record for the playoffs

Commanders: W. They want that lower draft pick more than anything. They're a 1-3 win team right now, so this game will mean nothing for either team except how low do you want your draft pick be? Dallas, being the smart team they are, is going to win this game and get an even higher draft pick and a worthless win.

So, that's 6-10. Thoughts? What are your predictions?
I would say you don't know what you are talking about. I think its time for you to be a frequent flier on Commanders.com

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
They may not be great on both sides of the ball

Average isn't a single point, it's a range. You take a few teams the Pats for example, at the top, and a few teams like Dolphins for example at the bottom, the rest are average.

That's what I mean by average, not that they don't have some good areas of the team, but if you mean they're "above average", I can understand where you're coming from, just don't see them in that light....

phildadon86

Reaction score
Why do you always come for me when I'm trying to instill realism into this fanbase and team?
Realism? You just had us going on a 7 game losing streak. Coming out of the bye. Healthy. Realism? The only thing real here is that you are a troll looking for reactions off this board and I am done helping you achieve your goal.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
10-6 or 9-7

Division round exit at best

Dallas ruined their season this last month. Homefield advantage and s bye has shown to be crucial in recent years and they destroyed their chances of having that.

Plus they still have no answer for Rodgers or a equal team with a great coaching staff.

This group of Cowboys are frauds and I’m not buying their stock. Talent is there but mentality and coaching is weak.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Average isn't a single point, it's a range. You take a few teams the Pats for example, at the top, and a few teams like Dolphins for example at the bottom, the rest are average.

That's what I mean by average, not that they don't have some good areas of the team, but if you mean they're "above average", I can understand where you're coming from, just don't see them in that light....

Vikings have no been average for weeks now, the Bills have only 2 losses with one coming this week. They aren't average man. They are most likely going to be playoff teams, and the other 2 will be fighting for a spot.

But like I said, any way you spin it, these teams aren't cakewalks. We aren't facing the Dolphins here, they are tough opponents because one side of ball for each team are either elite or playing at a high level. And no one should be pretending we MUST be confident with the Cowboys since we just came off a 3 week losing streak and one coming to the then winless Jets.

This team has given us no reason to feel confident in them week to week.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Realism? You just had us going on a 7 game losing streak. Coming out of the bye. Healthy. Realism? The only thing real here is that you are a troll looking for reactions off this board and I am done helping you achieve your goal.

So everyone here that agrees that this team is going 7-9 or 9-7 at best is a troll too? I fail to understand your reasoning. I'm not "trolling", I'm looking for answers. Reasons to believe in this team.

Just curious, you never answered my question. How do you see this team finishing?

mattjames2010

Reaction score

It doesn't matter if we got on a "7 game losing streak" - does it make a difference if we win a couple of the games he said we'd lose and lose a couple he said we won't? That's till 7 losses there, man. It's a prediction.

I mean, imagine getting so caught up in a prediction loss streak and missing the fact that there is a chance we end the season with a losing record.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
He's a Dak-Groupie there like a pack of wild dogs and expect more attacks!

Honestly Dak is not the problem here IMO. You could consider me a Dak-Groupie myself. However, this does not keep me from believing that this team is not as good as we once believed.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Lets see, the Gnats on Sunday. A home game against a Vikings team firmly in the hunt for a playoff spot follows, before trips to Detroit and New England in the next two weeks. Home games against Buffalo and Rams come either way of a potentially very difficult trip to Chicago on Thursday Night Football in Week 14.

Week 15 our Boys travel to Philthy for a match up that could have huge implications for the NFCE, before closing the season at home against the Skins. Philthy & Wintzie are going to want revenge. Aside from the 'Skins, the Giants in Week 9 are arguably the only team left on Dallas' schedule that does not have postseason aspirations.

Bottom line, with that loss to the Jets, not even a crystal ball will know what kind of a record this team will end up with.
baby-running-away-gif-5.gif