Reality with Daks contract

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Smith last season in KC they were 9-6. Frankly I don't know that Dallas would not have looked to get a QB seeing the age and injury history that Alex Smith had.
What they did the following season has nothing at all to do with them going 12-5, trading up, and drafting Mahomes.

It doesn't even matter if it's Alex Smith or not. It's the fact that you're willing to actually try to get better and take chances.

The Rams did it last year with Goff. The Browns did it with Baker. Those 2 guys are youngsters like Dak.

You have to try at least. You have to know when a guys not cutting it and be willing to move on and stop wasting time on him.

Flamma

Reaction score
Our offense didnt have trouble scoring against good teams. They scored against some very good teams.

Good teams beat the teams they are supposed to beat and thats what we did. Now the better defenses will hold you down, but thats why they are good defenses.

Really it was a tail of 2 seasons. First half we could score against anyone. Once the Oline went into the toilet they were inconsistent, but still had some great weeks.

Run D is still a big issue.

I didn't see much of a difference in the two halves. Just less crap teams in the second half.

This wasn't unique to 2021. We've had the same pattern of slow starts or no starts since 2019. The only major difference was our defense. You put that 2019 defense on our team last year, and not get all the turnovers, we go 8-9 or 9-8.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
What they did the following season has nothing at all to do with them going 12-5, trading up, and drafting Mahomes.

It doesn't even matter if it's Alex Smith or not. It's the fact that you're willing to actually try to get better and take chances.

The Rams did it last year with Goff. The Browns did it with Baker. Those 2 guys are youngsters like Dak.

You have to try at least. You have to know when a guys not cutting it and be willing to move on and stop wasting time on him.

Baker Mayfield for now has cost the Browns 4 1st round picks..I would not use him as an example of that going well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

The Rams did it last year with Goff. The Browns did it with Baker. T se 2 guys are youngsters like Dak.

Because they knew Alex Smith was not going to get any younger, he has already played 13 season up to that points. Not sure what the point of Goff and Mayfield have to do with anything, those teams drafted a QB because they lost faith in their current QB.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score

What makes you believe Dak's not cutting it?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I didn't see much of a difference in the two halves. Just less crap teams in the second half.

This wasn't unique to 2021. We've had the same pattern of slow starts or no starts since 2019. The only major difference was our defense. You put that 2019 defense on our team last year, and not get all the turnovers, we go 8-9 or 9-8.
C’mon now . Even some of Daks harshest critics noted a huge difference in Dak and our offense not only after Eliiott was hurt along with OL issues but when Dak was hurt as well. Big difference from 1st half of season to second half.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If they have success nobody will care.

Huge if, I mean are your sure Watson is the same, probably going to sit another year, What if it happens again and Watson is out? Its a huge risk again, draft a QB high if there is one that is 80% "Hit factor" but Baker as of right now is a horrible pick and has cost the browns 4 1st round picks And if we are honest more QB's drafted end with heart Break than with "Mahommes" glory.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Because they knew Alex Smith was not going to get any younger, he has already played 13 season up to that points. Not sure what the point of Goff and Mayfield have to do with anything, those teams drafted a QB because they lost faith in their current QB.
The point is that you are acting like it was because Smith was old so I provided examples of teams doing it with young guys to.

Those teams are making an effort to get better at the most important position while we waste away with 4th round/undrafted talent at it.

You gotta keep up. It's not complicated.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Huge if, I mean are your sure Watson is the same, probably going to sit another year, What if it happens again and Watson is out? Its a huge risk again, draft a QB high if there is one that is 80% "Hit factor" but Baker as of right now is a horrible pick and has cost the browns 4 1st round picks And if we are honest more QB's drafted end with heart Break than with "Mahommes" glory.
If I was a Browns fan I would be encouraged seeing my organization actively trying to get better.

That's the whole point to me. At least they are making an effort.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The way i see it is if they see a QB comming out that they see as "Cant miss" do everything you can to get him while you have Dak, you know have 2 very tradable pieces ...assuming they dont have success this year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree. Huge risk for Watson. But Browns haven’t made many good decisions this era. Baker had them looking pretty good a couple years ago.

Im not sold on Watson at all. Not sure how much better than Dak he is.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If I was a Browns fan I would be encouraged seeing my organization actively trying to get better.

That's the whole point to me. At least they are making an effort.

Most Franchises are not trading up for another QB when they have a young one who they see as working (again I know opinios vary on this) so you would only be happy if your Franchise did not like the position they were in at QB. Chiefs knew they needed a replcement for a 35 yr old QB and went and got who Ried wanted...Ried didnt do this in Philly with McNubb though so its not his norm.

basel90

Reaction score
Jerry is invested in Dak for the near future. the fact the team is hovering around 8-10 wins a season will guarantee no top 3-4 picks to go get an elite QB.
This is the problem with Dak's latest contract , it will keep the cowboys mediocre for 4-6 years. many fans are not ok with a wild card win every few years or so , and having a nice guy like Dak as the QB. It won't work folks. This franchise needs an elite QB who can make a difference , even demand certain trades form Jerry ,in order to make will the team to win another SB. Dak is not that QB.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Exactly...
Some hate him but have no other options they can think of. They just want betterm to your point he is not elite and all these pundits complain about him not being elite as if you can dial 1-800-EliteQB and just get one.

Even these pundits agree he is in the 10-15 range. Which is fine. I want better. I want a Superbowl. I know we have many needs. So do we go down this path and build a stronger team or do we destroy everything and rebuild.

But doesn't mean we can't win with him, but again to your point he needs the right team.around him.

Should we draft one? Perhaps. But there are so many needs and so many picks. Or do we throw it all out bottom out and rebuild as I mentioned above
Here's a common misperception.....

If we were paying Prescott 30m instead of 40 that we would sign a 10m free agent that would make all the difference.

No we would not. They would end up overpaying another draftee or two, or pocketing the delta. Doesn't matter what he makes up against being in a spot that MANY other teams are in.

They blew those negotiations with their mouths, and now want to justify the contract by making him something he isnt.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Not just a clown but a Dak Troll with only one purpose in this forum. Most likely posing as Cowboy fans .
I know. He only posts on Dak threads. He is obsessed. Not sure what he will do with himself.once Dak is gone .... He was a huge Romo crush so he can never forgive Dak..it's personal with him

Flamma

Reaction score
C’mon now . Even some of Daks harshest critics noted a huge difference in Dak and our offense not only after Eliiott was hurt along with OL issues but when Dak was hurt as well. Big difference from 1st half of season to second half.

How come no one notes that with Baker Mayfield? Baker sucks, right? He played with an injury all season. Not some phantom calf injury either. I don't want to hear about dak's injury, don't play. No excuses. Dallas didn't seem to have trouble against the weaker teams in the second half, did they? No, after we got wiped out by the Broncos, we slaughtered the Falcons, Commanders, Giants, and Eagles. This first half second half is only in the mind of homers.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You don't even have to suck.

The Chiefs went 12-4 and then drafted Mahomes with the 10th pick because they traded up. They went 12-4 and STILL knew their QB wasn't the answer. The Cowboys would NEVER.

You just have to be willing to actually try a little bit.
That's one example. But again they hit on Mahomes and at the time it was called a reach. Turbiskey was rated higher than Mahomes. So it could more easily back fire. But I get the point one needs to try.

However, I don't see Cowboys as such an organization. I don't see Jerry has visionary.

So minimally it will give you somet to post about for next few years