RECAP: Sean Salisbury on Vince Young's workout...

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Big D said:
I'll get slammed but I'm gonna come out and say it:

The big, black, fast, strongarmed, unstoppable QB will not succeed at the NFL level over the white, slower, stiffer, less exciting QB because he is DUMB!

:lmao:

Sounds stupid doesn't it? While it may or may not be intentional, I think this is the underlying sentiment.

Every QB coming out of college is a total unknown. Anyone who says they can accurately predict who will dominate at the next level is lying.

If you can ball you can ball. If not, it will show. I think ppl are getting too caught up with VY's diction than anything and the mystery wonderlic score just adds fuel to their fire. How else do you explain Marino, kelly etc. with equally poor wonderlic scores being better QB's because 'they speak well'?

:rolleyes:

Congrats on the most asinine post of all time.

ZB9

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Maybe reading is not your long suit. I said Texas is my second favorite College team. I like them almost as much as Penn State. Read a little before Posting.:rolleyes:

lol yea right. If you were such a big Texas fan, then you probably would have WATCHED THEM PLAY. Some of your posts about him make it obvious to me that you didnt watch VY play very much.

anyway, i dont care. My Landry comment was intended to be tongue n cheek.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
JIGGYFLY said:
The offense that he ran is fairly new to college football so what is this history you speak of, name 3 other qb,s who have run it that did not succeed in the NFL.

This is the same offense that Alex Smith ran. I have yet to hear one Nfl person say that he ran a sandlot O yet you continue to beat that drum, do you know something everybody else does not?

sure its the same offense that Alex Smith ran, and look how truly pathetic he was last yr when he got to play...Norv Turner has his work really cut out for him there

but plenty of QB's have come from spread/shotgun type offenses, there were also plenty of "option" style QB's well before Vince Young...not many of those, if any ever amounted to anything as an NFL starting QB...even Byron Leftwich, who was regarded as a "Dan Marino" type passer talent has been nothing more than average so far in 3 seasons because he is STILL trying to adjust to being in a prostyle offense

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
LOL..... crawfish much?

Sorry db, but this statement's simply a bold-faced lie, because that is PRECISELY what you've been saying in post after post. You can spin it however you like, but up until just this thread, youve made NO bones about your opinion Young.

Here's an idea kenny...... PICK A STANCE, AND STICK W/ IT!

I've said all along that he's a major project, a major risk and IMO a player with high bust potential, especially if he goes in the top-10...alot might depend on how patient somebody is with him, because if he is expected to play from day one he WILL be a major failure because he isnt anywhere near ready

I would put him right there with 5 or 6 other prominent guys that I think will bust eventually...

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
topper2929 said:
How about all of the coverages USC and Pete Carroll (an NFL DC) threw at him in the Rose Bowl? The guy is a playmaker! Cowhead on ESPN has been picking him apart since the RB about how all his throws were short in the game. Of course he never mentions that the D wouldn't give Texas anything deep the whole game and forced UT to throw underneath.
VY will be a player in the NFL. McNair will be a perfect mentor for him if he goes to Tenn.

hey memo to you...ALOT of QB's and other teams offenses made USC's defense look pedestrian or bad this yr...not really much to get overwhelmed about, they had lost alot of talent off their defense from the past two seasons

David

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
ZB9 said:
lol yea right. If you were such a big Texas fan, then you probably would have WATCHED THEM PLAY. Some of your posts about him make it obvious to me that you didnt watch VY play very much.

anyway, i dont care. My Landry comment was intended to be tongue n cheek.

Again reading is a problem for you.

I also said that I would consider drafting him at 18 if he fell. I also said I hope he does well in the NFL.

Were you Vince Young's tutor for the Wonderlic test?

marchetta

Reaction score
An interesting Drew Boylhart observation...

Some members have been e-mailing me lately to ask how I do my profiles. They want to know if I do them from edited tapes, from highlight films or what? So I thought I would take a few minutes just to tell you how I come to my conclusions of a player for the draft.

I think the reason I am asked this question is because a lot of times, I am not in step with other draft sites and/or media on a player. Let’s take, for example, two players in this year’s draft: Chad Greenway (LB – Iowa) and Vince Young (QB – Texas). When I first profiled Chad and Vince, my profiles did not agree with what was being said all over the world about these two players. In my profile of Chad, I questioned his tackling ability and said that he was not a top ten player. I did say that I thought he would be a solid player, but not an impact player at the next level. At that time, Chad was being listed in most places as a top ten pick.

When Vince declared for the draft, I questioned his ability to impact as quickly as a top ten player should be able to impact. I have taken a lot of heat over those profiles, but as I’ve always said, “bring the heat” -- I can take it, because I have confidence in what I see on the film to back me up. Slowly, but surely, Chad has dropped out of the top ten and in my opinion, the only reason Vince is still in the top ten is because the Oakland Raiders have professed an interest in him.

I think I’ve figured out why I am not in agreement with most everyone else about players that are considered top picks in a draft. I think it’s because I watch the entire game. I don’t watch edited film or highlight tapes -– I watch the entire game film. When I see a player make one great play, I don’t react until I see that player in the same game make more than one great play.

For example, I have on film Dave Thomas (TE/H-Back – Texas) calling out the blitzes for the O-line so that his offensive center knows what side of the line the potential blitz is coming from - so that the center can then make his calls. The QB usually makes this call to keep the RB and O-line on the same page to block the potential blitz. When I saw this, it made me realize that Vince was not even up to speed on the basics of the QB position at the college level. I didn’t need a Wonderlic test or a combine workout to know that old Vince is nowhere near a finished project at the college level, much less ready to be a QB at the next level. I just bet there is no highlight or edited film that shows this little incident.

Regarding Chad, I have him on film most of the time making tackles after the RB has passed the line of scrimmage and with the player falling forward. The only time I’ve seen him put a player on his back is if the player is standing still. Now, at the college level, that might be all right; however, at the next level, if you can’t meet your man, cut off the angle and drive him onto his back at least once in a game, you will not be an impact LB at the next level. You might be a solid LB, but not an impact LB.

So, to answer those of you out there wondering why I’m not in step with the media and other sites on my player evaluations, here are my ten personal rules for profiling players.

Drew’s Rules:

1) Do not copy other people’s opinions about players in the draft.

2) Watch as many full games as possible to evaluate the player’s character and heart.

3) When watching a game, look for the little details that tell you about a player’s true character, heart and passion (sideline situations, interaction with coaches and teammates, reaction to losing and winning, etc).

4) Watch edited or portions of game film to evaluate how far along a player’s technical skills are only.

5) Do not listen to “inside” information when profiling a player. (Inside information are rumors, innuendos and, in most cases, feelers put out by agents and team officials to gauge or entice a reaction.)

6) If you are surprised by a player’s combine numbers or pro day workout reports, then you didn’t see enough film on that player. Go back and look at the film.

7) Be truthful, informative and entertaining in your profiles to make the reader react and remember.

8) Make sure the player you are profiling earns a good profile.

9) Make sure the player you are profiling earns a bad profile.

10) Always be honest and true to what you see on film. Film is the first and the last impression of a player and his abilities for the next level.

This list is over my computer and whenever I start to have trouble profiling a player, I read the rules. It helps me to stay focused and to keep my head out of my hindquarters when all the rumors start to fly about how great a player is or isn’t!

jay cee

Reaction score
BHendri5 said:
LOL, you can tell you are a VY person.
You can tell that you are totally biased against Young.
BHendri5 said:
It is not just that USC was not giving them anything deep, those short passes is what VY threw mostly all season long, his TE was his first and only read, (meaning he is still at the high school level as far as looking for receivers).
The longhorns top 4 Wideouts had 103 receptions, and the lowest yards per catch was 14.6. And that is not counting Ramonce Taylor's receptions from the WR position. (He also played RB.) Thomas was the leading Receiver with 50 catches, but I think that's still enough to prove your statement totally biased and wrong.
BHendri5 said:
UT will go back to running their real offense now that they have some real
QBs that can pass. They changed the offense because VY could not get it done in their regular offense, I live right here in Austin, so I can get all the info, that is not reported on the radio waves and television waves.

That was the talk before the season started how they switched to fit VY's talent as a playmaker and he is that, but he is not a QB for the NFL right now ans it will take 3 or 4 yrs maybe longer and maybe he will not cut it at all.
But if he were to switch to WR, he would take the NFL by storm immediately!!!

You will see UT QBs go back under center this season, yes they will still use the shotgun but they will be under center mostly.
That's what you do when you have a special player, you tailor the game to their strengths, not like the Falcons who actually have Vick playing to his weakness in the West Coast offense.

BHendri5 said:
As far as his pro day went, I know you read Salisbury quotes, (he is an idiot) he was a sorry pro QB, (but he made it to the NFL) he gets props for that.

I have found that whatever he says believe the opposite and you will come out ahead 90% of the time.
Especially when it does not fit with your agenda.

BHendri5 said:
No, on to the pro day, Salisbury said one thing, but I just heard this morning on the radio that they played it safe with VY, he threw 54 passes, 48 were 10 yards or shorter, the dropped passes were over throws on long passes..
The person that said that on the radio is a liar (I hope you aren't, and you actually did hear that crap on the radio). I have heard several different reports say that Young made all the throws. No one would have a pro day and throw 48 of 54 passes 10 yards or less. What would be the point?
No one else has said anything like this. And no one with any intelligence would believe that crap, unless they have an agenda.
BHendri5 said:
Yes he had some snap on the ball, and he can get the ball down field,but his footwork was not good, on 3 steps, 5 steps and 7 steps, the scouts were concerned about his waiter carrying a tray like throwing motion, he could not hit the receivers coming out of their breaks, he always waited until they came out of their breaks.
I did hear that Young threw to most of the receivers after they came out of their breaks. The reports that I have heard said that his footwork was anywhere from good to excellent. You are the only source that I have heard report the rest of that info. Given the source, I have my doubts about the validity.
BHendri5 said:
How could he not know that the wonderlic test was not a timed test, and how did he not know that when you go to the combine even if you are not going to work out you still have to take the test.

He is a high profile college athlete, he had to know this, I'm sure his fellow college athlete friends told him that.

The NFL, showed him some favor by letting him test again and not submitting the score of 6 that he made.
I would like to know how you get all this inside info. It sounds like an agenda to me.

jay cee

Reaction score
marchetta said:
For example, I have on film Dave Thomas (TE/H-Back – Texas) calling out the blitzes for the O-line so that his offensive center knows what side of the line the potential blitz is coming from - so that the center can then make his calls. The QB usually makes this call to keep the RB and O-line on the same page to block the potential blitz. When I saw this, it made me realize that Vince was not even up to speed on the basics of the QB position at the college level. I didn’t need a Wonderlic test or a combine workout to know that old Vince is nowhere near a finished project at the college level, much less ready to be a QB at the next level. I just bet there is no highlight or edited film that shows this little incident.
Now I had never heard that before. If that is true, that is indeed a major red flag in my opinion.

If it is true, I would like to know if that was a one time thing, or if that was consistently the job of Thomas.