RECAP: Sean Salisbury on Vince Young's workout...

ghst187

Reaction score
The argument seems to be that the VY supporters argue that VY WAS the best player in college football and the detractors argue that VY WON'T BE a great pro. apples and oranges.
Secondly, I'm not sure why people are taking it so personally that VY is being graded as a 8-15 pick.
Also about 90% of the people here taking it personally that VY isn't going to go in the top 3 of the draft are UT homers.
I think he's a great football player and mediocre as a drop-back QB. We've seen that Mike Vick's game has only translated to feast or famine (game to game) in the NFL plus a ton of injuries.
Frankly I don't really care though because I don't think he'll be a 'Boy. That's about all the matters to me.

gbrittain

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Those two things are somewhat tied together.

I looked up Dan Marino's and Jim Kelly's Wonderlic score and they both had a 15. Nobody really accused them of not being able to read an NFL defense.

Brian Griese scored a 39 and I would not say he is a football genius on the field.

I look at the results on the field first and Wonderlic score as just another useful tidbit of info that does not tell the whole story.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
J-DOG said:
I hear what you're saying.
But once again I respectfully disagree.
Yo, all you doubters out there...Anyone remember where Michael Vick was selected????
Vince Young is miles ahead of Vick.
He has more poise in crunch time than Vick did in college.
He's much more accurate than Vick was in college...probably more accurate right now.
Leadership...the guy was 30-2 in college and his team won the national championship while he completed 30 of 40 passes and ran for over 200yds.
Oh yeah he didn't even look tired after the game!
Sometimes you can look at something too much and find a reason not to like a guy.
I'll go by what my eyes tell me and how his teammates played for him.
The dude is for real and anyone who doesn't draft this guy will be second guessing themselves for a long time.
The Portland Trailblazers would like to take back that Sam Bowie pick...Oh hell yeah they would!

Well, I actually hope you are right. Outside of Penn State, Texas is my second favorite college team. I am just basing my opinion on a combination of history and observations. That's all.

Again, it's worth repeating. If he's there at 18 I would consider taking him. I think he would be better than Romo or Henson anyway. And I hate saying that about Henson.

DizzG

Reaction score
I never saw consistent accuracy or arm strength in the games I saw him play vs real opponents...there were flashes, but it wasnt consistent

I read this crap and sometimes I just amazed people actually think they know what they are talking about when they post this stuff. Vince was one of the most accurate QB's in the country last year and led the entire nation in passing efficency as I mentioned earlier...even over Matt Leinart. He has a very strong arm and people watching him today noticed that. He has displayed it in real game time too

He threw for over 3000 yards and ran for over a 1000..I mean Jesus do people realize how crazy insane that is?????

Its just sad some keep throwing up roadblocks for this guy to downgrade him.

"The big 12 wasnt good enough, his teammates were too good, USC wasnt as good (despite being called one of the greatest teams ever with a NFL coach on the sidelines calling the defense)...Vince just ran all the time...yadda..yadda"

Vince was consistantly good last year and has gotten better every year

SALADIN

Jumper
Reaction score
adbutcher said:
:hammer:

People here are amazing! I think there are more then a few kettles calling the pot black with the stupid comments.

And probably an appropriate play on words by you my friend...unintentional or not ;)

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
SALADIN said:
And probably an appropriate play on words by you my friend...unintentional or not ;)

I would love to know what you are talking about.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
How many coverages did he see today? How many times did he have to check down to another play or make some decisions on the fly.

Geez, these guys get all warm and fuzzy over a guy whith great "zip" on the ball. Well, Ryan Leaf had great Zip on the ball as well. How'd that work out?

If the guy doesn't have it upstairs he ain't gonna cut it in today's NFL at QB. Pure and simple.

You know, you can bash him all you want, and even though Leaf led his team to the Rose Bowl, he didn't DOMINATE like that. The guy has always been doubted, and he always comes back and proves everyone wrong. I agree, the mental aspect of his game doesn's seem to favor him, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I for one am not willing to write "Vince Young cannot play QB in the NFL" in stone just yet.

gbrittain

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
You know, you can bash him all you want, and even though Leaf led his team to the Rose Bowl, he didn't DOMINATE like that. The guy has always been doubted, and he always comes back and proves everyone wrong. I agree, the mental aspect of his game doesn's seem to favor him, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I for one am not willing to write "Vince Young cannot play QB in the NFL" in stone just yet.

In fairness, unless I missed something I would not say CajunCowboy was bashing Vince Young. There is a difference between doubting a guy will make it in the NFL and bashing him.

I think Cajun hopes he does well, but has his reservations. I hate speaking for someone else, but usually the bashing term has a very negative connotation and I dont think it is deserved for Cajun.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
How many coverages did he see today? How many times did he have to check down to another play or make some decisions on the fly.

Geez, these guys get all warm and fuzzy over a guy whith great "zip" on the ball. Well, Ryan Leaf had great Zip on the ball as well. How'd that work out?

If the guy doesn't have it upstairs he ain't gonna cut it in today's NFL at QB. Pure and simple.

Articles about the workout state he took "simulated snaps" from center and wasn't even slated to run.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
According to Lance Zeirline of 610am:

"Being an untrained eye, I thought he did really well. However, when I spoke with 4 or 5 pro scouts they all said the same thing - UNIMPRESSIVE. STATUS QUO. He didn't make ANY hard throws that tested his accuracy. Maybe one crossing route that he attempted to hit the receiver in stride. Way too protective and nothing difficult. Very average."

The reason Kubiak is all over VY/6's jock is that he wants other teams to trade up to get him. Some sucker of a team will.

DizzG

Reaction score
DanTanna said:
According to Lance Zeirline of 610am:

"Being an untrained eye, I thought he did really well. However, when I spoke with 4 or 5 pro scouts they all said the same thing - UNIMPRESSIVE. STATUS QUO. He didn't make ANY hard throws that tested his accuracy. Maybe one crossing route that he attempted to hit the receiver in stride. Way too protective and nothing difficult. Very average."

The reason Kubiak is all over VY/6's jock is that he wants other teams to trade up to get him. Some sucker of a team will.

and when did he say that? I heard him on 610 today saying the TOTAL opposite of that and it wasnt even close

John McClain was on and said scouts he talked too were blown away..he said one deep pass Vince threw had them wowed and some saying it was a pass on Farve or Elway would have made

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
Lance was harsh on Vince. Well, Lance was not, he said the scouts he spoke with scratched their heads and said ***?

DizzG

Reaction score
DanTanna said:
Lance was harsh on Vince. Well, Lance was not, he said the scouts he spoke with scratched their heads and said ***?

Yeah and John McClain said Scouts he talked too thought Vince looked great

Sean Salisbury has never been sold on Vince Young till today..and now claims he was blown away

Gil Brandt said Vince did eveything he needed to do to solidify his draft position

other NFL people have been quoted Vince displayed great touch, arm strength, accuracy, and work under the center. who knows? maybe those he talked too just dont care for vince?

98% of the reports out there right now have Vince looking very good

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Its not all that much of a calculus equation.

Did the kid succeed at the college level?
Was he a leader?
Did he show toughness, ability to take big hits and stay in games?
Did he demonstrate enough raw measurables to perform at the next level?

If you apply his numbers to nay player in the draft they would simply sparkle. He has great size, speed, strength, accuracy, arm strength, leadership, college success.

What does the kid need to prove that any draftee has ever not proven coming into the NFL?

Vince Young is simply the best player in this draft class.
I understand many won't agree but they didn't week 4 when I said he was the best player in college football either and most didn't buy in til he was holding his Rose Bowl MVP trophy for the 2nd time in 2 seasons.

BluMen

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
First of all I don't hate the guy.

Second I am on record as saying I hope the guy does well.

My concern is in conjuction with making the giant leap to the NFL, he he has not displayed the apptitude to absoarb an NFL playbook along with the ability, mentally, to disect an NFL defense. Especially on the fly. Now with all that said, if he were available at 18 I would think about taking him. But there is no way you burn a top 5 or possibly a top 10 pick on a guy with question marks. (Mental accumen, throwing mechanics).

The mistake that so many coaches make is that they see raw talent, and no doubt VY has tons of talent, they think they can "coach them up". The Cowboys are a good example of that with Hutch, Henson and QC. I don't think anyone here wants to go through that again.

Why do you question is mental abilities? Some of you need to get real. As it has been stated he picked Pete Carroll's Defense apart. Some things I see never change.

Alexander

Reaction score
DanTanna said:

Correct.

It wouldn't make sense for Coach Kubiak to say anything else. If he has designs on moving down, it makes no sense to do anything but lavish praise upon him.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:

Holy Cow! Do you only read a part of a post then start typing willy nilly? I was really clear, several times that I hope he does well and EVEN said I would consider him at 18. I even said that Texas was my second favorite college team.How the heck is that Bashing him? I just said I need to see more than I do from a mental aspect before I would invest a high ( meaning 1-5) draft pick on him.

Geez, it seems that some people protest too much about things. Read all the posts before you start talking like I'm bashing the guy.

Cajuncowboy

Reaction score
BluMen said:
Why do you question is mental abilities? Some of you need to get real. As it has been stated he picked Pete Carroll's Defense apart. Some things I see never change.

First of all what do you mean "Some things never change"?

Second Pete Carroll's Defense is not an NFL Defense. IT was good but not Elite by NFL standards.

I question his mental abilities because he did poorly on a mental accumen test. That would be reason enough to doubt it. And before you come up with the Marino comparison, please. Ever watch Marino on CBS? The guy is about as bright as a cave.

Again, I would love for you to elaborate on the Things never change crack.

Alexander

Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
Holy Cow! Do you only read a part of a post then start typing willy nilly? I was really clear, several times that I hope he does well and EVEN said I would consider him at 18. I even said that Texas was my second favorite college team.How the heck is that Bashing him? I just said I need to see more than I do from a mental aspect before I would invest a high ( meaning 1-5) draft pick on him.

Geez, it seems that some people protest too much about things. Read all the posts before you start talking like I'm bashing the guy.

People are too quick to whip out the "bashing" label. Doubting a player (and in this case, very legitimately) is not "bashing".

It is the damsel in distress syndrome. Many of his fans feel that Young has been unfairly targeted. Thus, they respond rabidly.

DizzG

Reaction score
I question his mental abilities because he did poorly on a mental accumen test.

:lmao2:

anyone that would make such a judgement on one test like the wonderlic is insane..and NFL teams dont do so. Bobby Bethard was on ESPN radio the other day and said that most GM's including himself (when he was a GM) put a very SMALL part in that test and teams do their OWN testing that goes way beyond the wonderlic.

I've taken the test and its hilarious that some think it proves how smart someone is or not

Do you question McNabbs mental ability since he didnt do well on the test..or how about Steve McNairs? I mean how did he manage to be a MVP of the league with that Test score??