Twitter: Refs missed a safety call on Arizona

MarcusRock

Reaction score
And I totally disagree. DLaw is not a small dude and for him to not be able to turn toward Murray when the grab happens, that was a significant grab and push. Also OL is not allowed to push the defender from the back which he clearly does on this play.

Go watch it in slow mo and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Yeah, sorry, but the OL is allowed to kick him out wide, which he did when Lawrence used his rip move which again affords an exception to holding even if it looks like holding (see the rule). It was not a push (or block "from behind" as the rule states). His hand on the shoulder was on him the whole time and let go once Lawrence turned the corner. The other hand did press on Lawrence's back but again, put in that position due to Lawrence's rip move. This was clearly not material restriction. Again, compare to Schultz. Night and day. No one addresses it.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
OF COURSE the video makes it look less blatant than the still shot you posted because a video actually depicts what happened.

A still shot provides no context.

Do you know Cardinal fans really tried claiming Santonio Holmes didn’t have two feet inbounds on that crucial touchdown in the Super Bowl. And guess what they tried showing as proof? A still shot (see below).

BD2966-B3-4803-40-A4-BEED-48-ADACEA808-C.jpg

Problem was, just a few frames before the actual proof was there in plain sight (see below).

50-CC2-D27-1-A35-4-BEE-A51-A-0-D4-BA8150-F8-E.jpg

Refs gave the stealers that sb and the one vs the Seahawks. But he was in on that td.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Yes, and again, for the 10th time, my question is WHAT do you think Jones' hand was doing on his shoulder pad? You actually still haven't answered. Was it just resting there? Was it grazing his shoulder pad? Or was he possibly gripping a hold of his jersey/pad?

His hand was there as part of his block he was making. Was it grabbing? Yes. But he's allowed to grab as part of his blocking so long as he doesn't "materially restrict or alter the defender’s path or angle of pursuit." He blocked, Lawrence did a rip move and put the OL in that side position (that's why the exception exists). His hand was still on the shoulder and after kicking Lawrence out wide as Lawrence turned, let go. You can pretend the Schultz hold doesn't exist all you want but it shows the huge difference in degrees of restriction and how much less restriction was on Lawrence. That's why one was a hold and the other wasn't.

DOUBLE WING

Reaction score
His hand was there as part of his block he was making. Was it grabbing? Yes. But he's allowed to grab as part of his blocking so long as he doesn't "materially restrict or alter the defender’s path or angle of pursuit." He blocked, Lawrence did a rip move and put the OL in that side position (that's why the exception exists). His hand was still on the shoulder and after kicking Lawrence out wide as Lawrence turned, let go. You can pretend the Schultz hold doesn't exist all you want but it shows the huge difference in degrees of restriction and how much less restriction was on Lawrence. That's why one was a hold and the other wasn't.

Material restriction is, apparently, in the eye of the beholder.

If you agree that Lawrence was grabbed, then the only real question left is what constitutes a material restriction.

The play in this video (coincidentally, Cory Proctor - I believe) is a similar "material restriction" to what Lawrence appeared to experience here. Set aside the much more blatant tug of the jersey in this clip, but the point is the material restriction of the pass rusher's path to the quarterback is the same. "It takes a step away from the defender in pursuing the quarterback."

Zman5

Reaction score
Yeah, sorry, but the OL is allowed to kick him out wide, which he did when Lawrence used his rip move which again affords an exception to holding even if it looks like holding (see the rule). It was not a push (or block "from behind" as the rule states). His hand on the shoulder was on him the whole time and let go once Lawrence turned the corner. The other hand did press on Lawrence's back but again, put in that position due to Lawrence's rip move. This was clearly not material restriction. Again, compare to Schultz. Night and day. No one addresses it.

Olinemen’s hand is clearly on DLaws back. And a push from the back isn’t allowed.

Also, DLaw’s whole right shoulder jerks when the grab and push happens. Unless that Olineman has super humans hand strength,there’s no way you can jerk back a 270LB person running full speed without a significant grab. It is clear that grab and push affected and materially restricted the pursuit.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Material restriction is, apparently, in the eye of the beholder.

If you agree that Lawrence was grabbed, then the only real question left is what constitutes a material restriction.

The play in this video (coincidentally, Cory Proctor - I believe) is a similar "material restriction" to what Lawrence appeared to experience here. Set aside the much more blatant tug of the jersey in this clip, but the point is the material restriction of the pass rusher's path to the quarterback is the same. "It takes a step away from the defender in pursuing the quarterback."

Come on. That is in no way similar. We've reached the point of reaching for things now. What you continue to ignore along with the Schultz clear hold is that Lawrence used a rip technique. There's an exception in the holding rule for a reason when that is used. If the OL pulled back on Lawrence then it would be a hold but he keeps the same grip he had in the initial block and kept it through Lawrence's rip and let go after a shove, not a pull back. He wasn't beat from jump like your video and let go after Lawrence used the rip. Not a material restriction in any way, shape, or form. I knew there'd be a few after I posted the videos and CZ never disappoints.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Olinemen’s hand is clearly on DLaws back. And a push from the back isn’t allowed.

Also, DLaw’s whole right shoulder jerks when the grab and push happens. Unless that Olineman has super humans hand strength,there’s no way you can jerk back a 270LB person running full speed without a significant grab. It is clear that grab and push affected and materially restricted the pursuit.

No. A block from behind is not allowed. That wasn't a block from behind. Again, what you ignore along with the Schultz hold is Lawrence did a rip move. When that happens, "holding will not be called" as it "puts an offensive player in a position that would normally be holding." Those are words from the rule. That's what put the OL in that position and it clearly says that holding will not be called when it's done. Again, you can push as part of a block. Show me where pushing is not allowed. The Schultz hold shows you what material restriction looks like. This was clearly nowhere near it and why no one wants to talk about that one. Because it proves my point about material restriction.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I can’t believe you all argue with that idiot over this call. It’s very clear. The dude is pulling his jersey and or his pad even after DLAW Is 4ft passed him, but he didn’t impede him. Think how stupid that sounds.

He gets off on arguing this type of stuff because he’s a sicko.

Flamma

Reaction score
Yep. I was screaming to my son "that's a safety" Not looking forward to the NFL playoffs. I "guarantee" it'll be some horrible calls coming from the worst refs in any sports followed by the NBA......:facepalm:

That was one of several holds I saw. I'm not someone that notices that either. Has to be blatant.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Two refs staring at a blatant hold (more blatant than ours) in the endzone...safety.

Great pics.. 2 refs looking right at it. If he wasn’t held he may have had him. But that was a easy holding call. It’s like you can tell when this crap is gonna happen all game long..

Sydla

Reaction score
Anyone have a clip of the Collins hold on Elliott's run in the first half?

glimmerman

Reaction score
That was one of several holds I saw. I'm not someone that notices that either. Has to be blatant.
They were held all night but that was 2 points. Add it with the missed FG. Or the missed fumble call at the end. Don’t get me wrong we played vanilla D all day and just let our front 4 go but never went man coverage and took away the middle. They ate us all day with an little hold and gave him time to dump it off in the middle. Frustrating.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I saw Demarcus complaining to the refs after that but they never showed a replay and Buck and Aikman never commented.....they were too busy praising Murray.

But somehow some fans believe that the players are suppose to be quiet and calm, when they actually step up to make potential huge momentum game turning plays like this and the Refs refuse to call a valid penalty against the opposing team or when they actually even force a turnover, just for the Refs to step in and intervene to take it away.

The players do have a right to be frustrated when they actual accomplish making a huge play that could win the game for their team and horrible officiating negates it. It's okay for both players to be criticized and held accountable for losing games and for the Refs to get called out for horrible officiating.

But, some believe that losing teams are suppose to remain quiet, even when the Refs intervene and make huge impacts on big games when their incompetent officiating and decision making.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Fair is calling holding penalties fairly throughout the course of the game.

Do you understand or do I need to break it down more?

I guess some want us to believe that opposing Offensive line's always manage to play flawlessly against the Cowboys defense, to the point where they never commit holds against our DL. :facepalm:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I really some fans are getting duped by D-Law’s exaggerated flailing trying to get the holding call. This happens on almost every snap across the league. Imagine if one our offensive linemen got called for a “hold” like this in the endzone. These same people would crying and lamenting that it wasn’t a hold. This doesn’t even pass the barstool test.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I can’t believe you all argue with that idiot over this call. It’s very clear. The dude is pulling his jersey and or his pad even after DLAW Is 4ft passed him, but he didn’t impede him. Think how stupid that sounds.

He gets off on arguing this type of stuff because he’s a sicko.
I'm not sure who you're talking about but I probably have them on ignore which would support your post, lol.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I really some fans are getting duped by D-Law’s exaggerated flailing trying to get the holding call. This happens on almost every snap across the league. Imagine if one our offensive linemen got called for a “hold” like this in the endzone. These same people would crying and lamenting that it wasn’t a hold. This doesn’t even pass the barstool test.
Kinda like Ramseys exaggerated flailing against Gallup last season in the first game? Seemed to work for him. Cost us the game.

Aven8

Reaction score
Greg’s and Parsons are held multiple times per game. It’s ridiculous