Regarding the new forum changes *** MERGED ***

Discussion in 'CZ Support Zone' started by BigDFan5, Jan 2, 2007.

1. theogt

theogt Surrealist

45,848 Messages
    5,911 Likes Received
    Remember when Coke tried a new formula?

2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl U.N.I.T.Y Staff Member

75,066 Messages
    25,922 Likes Received
    What do you mean by good ol boys club? Just curious. I'm not sure how the new setup creates that.

3. theogt

theogt Surrealist

45,848 Messages
    5,911 Likes Received
    In all the time I've been here on CZ, I think I've click on the other zones maybe 3 or 4 times. I'm sure many people are just the same.

I've also tried my best to explain it to you.

I know you care. I'm not saying you don't.

4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

72,802 Messages
    27,058 Likes Received
    If that mentality existed in the worlds history the world would be very different than it is today.

Old Black and White TVs...hey it worked, if it ain't broke don't fix it...no color tv, no hdtv and so on.

Antennas for TV...hey we get channels and the news, it if ain't broke don't fix it...no cable or dish tv.

On the second part...

As a site grows there will be changes, that is just the nature in many cases.

Yahoo is not the same as it was when it became popular, IMDB is not the same as it was when it first became popular, Fark.com is not the same as it was when it first became popular, Google is not the same as it was when it first became popular, Amazon is not the same as it was when it became popular and so on and so on.

5. goshan

goshan Well-Known Member

2,355 Messages
    487 Likes Received

Mods, this is definitely the way to go. I don't know vBulletin that well, but can't you just mark certain threads as 'high quality' and make them show up in another Forum in addition to the current one?

I know you guys have thought this through but it is a big deal and pain for us regular users to have to go to two forums.

6. BrAinPaiNt

72,802 Messages
    27,058 Likes Received
    Which time...

When it was initially made as a medicine?

When it was originally called French Wine Cola?

When they quit putting cocaine into the forumla?

Or the last one that did not work?

I know you meant the last one, but you failed to take into account the other things prior to that which were changed.

7. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,279 Messages
    124 Likes Received

Yeah, I remember what happened with Coke. They gained a TON of market share that they wouldn't have if the had not introduced the new formula and then switched back to the old. That is what happened. Many in the business world, myself included, felt it was orchestrated by Coke intentionally. They BLEW away Pepsi after the reintroduction of the old formula. So, bad example.

But to the question at hand...I guarantee you'll find more businesses that went OUT of business by not changing. Guaranteed.

8. theogt

theogt Surrealist

45,848 Messages
    5,911 Likes Received
    Was readership declining on the site? Were you guys "going out of business?"

9. WoodysGirl

75,066 Messages
    25,922 Likes Received
    :laugh2: Not hardly...

10. BigDFan5

BigDFan5 Cowboys Make me Drink

15,078 Messages
    459 Likes Received

you can talk bad about my wife or kids

you can kick my dog

but dont you DARE talk bad about Boston

11. BrAinPaiNt

72,802 Messages
    27,058 Likes Received
    Guy had a great tone on guitar and made almost all of his own guitar effects...man was a genius in that area.

12. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,197 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    See, this is what I was referring to earlier in the post. Your problem is low quality post crowding the main forum. Your intentions are good, it isn’t a bad idea. However, you must face it, your going to have a lot of upset individuals who think their threads should be moved to your new zone.

If you made it so an individual could only post around 6 new threads a day in the main area you’ll find you have more quality threads. But in all other area’s they could post til their hearts content. I am sure that most individuals would find it difficult to think of say six quality threads in a day. But it would eliminate the “TO wore green socks today” threads.

When you first started, the main thread was for Cowboys news and topics only. Today we have threads about portis bashing the skins threads. For me, this is the stuff I really don’t want to sift through. If I wanted news about other teams I could visit their teams sites.

I do have another idea though; don’t know if it’s possible. You could create a favorite posters zone. It would be private to each individual. Let’s say I mark Hos, Reality, BrainPaint as my favorite posters. When I log in, they would show up in my favorite posters zone.

13. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,279 Messages
    124 Likes Received

If you don't change, in business or anywhere else, you're doomed.

That's simply a fact.

You made your point. You'd prefer a board with only one forum for every topic. That's the framework from within which your opinion emanates. I think you're in a very small minority.

We, the mod group, have taken a LOT of time trying to explain.

My nickel says the site will be just fine.

14. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,279 Messages
    124 Likes Received

They were great.

For one album.

:D

15. BrAinPaiNt

72,802 Messages
    27,058 Likes Received
    I am not sure if both of your ideas will work in the Vbull software.

I know you can prevent users from creating new threads in designated sections but I am not sure about limiting the number of threads they can start per day.

I am also not sure about the favorite posters situation. I know there is a "buddy list" function with Vbull but I have never used it so I really don't know much about it.

Maybe someone else who has used it, the buddy list option, could provide details.

16. BigDFan5

15,078 Messages
    459 Likes Received

Tom Scholz was great but reports had him down as a jerk and almost divaish

17. Munchis

Munchis New Member

245 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not sure I like this new setup.....can we get a forum for political flaming? Or what about a smack talk forum?

Munchis.....Out!!!

18. Viper

Viper Active Member

2,197 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    yeah, didn't know if it was possible. I was just thinking outloud, notice I don't do that often...see my post count?

19. BigDFan5

15,078 Messages
    459 Likes Received

the second one wasnt THAT bad lol

20. WoodysGirl

75,066 Messages
    25,922 Likes Received
    I use the buddy list. At most, it just puts a plus sign next to the member's name in the member list. And they show up in the User CP.

and this one happens to be 666. You should hurry and post another one quick. :eek: :p: