Relationship advice

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Best advice I can give you or anybody, don't go to a message board to get advice on relationships. The best you can hope for with that kind of method is to further piss your Wife off.

Good luck.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just a warning.

Those inclined to cheat tend to be the most suspicious of others cheating.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
DFWJC;5092559 said:
Just a warning.

Those inclined to cheat tend to be the most suspicious of others cheating.

maybe, but s/he could be controlling, or been burned by a cheater in the past, or a friend/family told him/her that his/her partner may be cheating, etc etc. There are a lot of reasons why someone would do that. You just can't just make an assumption on the behavior.

a_minimalist

Reaction score
VietCowboy;5092589 said:
maybe, but s/he could be controlling, or been burned by a cheater in the past, or a friend/family told him/her that his/her partner may be cheating, etc etc. There are a lot of reasons why someone would do that. You just can't just make an assumption on the behavior.

But you can hold them accountable for their actions. Especially since they are an ADULT.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;5092484 said:
Sounds like to me that there is a major communication barrier in this relationship. IMO, properly communicating is they key to any relationship. It's also the reason why most relationships fail, because they communicate poorly.

If you are serious about fixing this problem, and if she is serious about fixing this problem, it will be dependent on the two of you discovering a way to communicate better.

Communication requires listening also. Communication "failure" is not always because there is a LACK of communication. The failure is often the result of not being willing to listen and apply what is being communicated.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Tricked;5092508 said:
We've been together 4 years now. The only major difference I've noticed since having the baby is her anxiety has gone through the freaking roof and she's afraid to be alone. For example, she wanted to talk a shower in the night cause the baby threw up on her or something, and she bawled until I would go sit on the toilet while she did because she was afraid someone would come kill her or something.

In all seriousness, she needs to get some help from a professional. You arent the answer, and nothing advised here is the answer. She needs some real help to deal with anxiety issues. Most likely she will get worse w/o some real help. The sooner she deals with it the better off all of you will be. It may take some time, and may even take some medication, but just living with it will do nothing but frustrate you both.

Get her some help. I wish you the best in dealing with this.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Sounds to me like this relationship is going into the ol calcutta crapper no matter what.

So what do you have to lose from drawing a line in the sand:

FROM now ON I check your phone like you do mine. If you password protect I will do the same. I demand equal rights.

If she refuses then what good is continuing this? Tell her its time to end it

Staying together because of a child is about the WORST reason there is. Does no one any good in the end.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
burmafrd;5092609 said:
Sounds to me like this relationship is going into the ol calcutta crapper no matter what.

FROM now ON I check your phone like you do mine. If you password protect I will do the same. I demand equal rights.

Staying together because of a child is about the WORST reason there is. Does no one any good in the end.

Tell that to the little girl crying at night.

DFWJC

Reaction score
VietCowboy;5092589 said:
That's why I said "inclined".
No assumptions made whatsoever about this particular case. For all we know, that controlling spouse may other reasons entirely for her actions.
Just stating the facts.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
burmafrd;5092609 said:

Burm's relationship advice is awful. Tit for tat is a dumb way to have a relationship. If anything, try couples counseling. Make a real effort to improve your relationship.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AbeBeta;5092640 said:
Burm's relationship advice is awful. Tit for tat is a dumb way to have a relationship. If anything, try couples counseling. Make a real effort to improve your relationship.

Completely disagree.

When you don't have equality in a relationship, you don't have a relationship.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;5092607 said:
In all seriousness, she needs to get some help from a professional. You arent the answer, and nothing advised here is the answer. She needs some real help to deal with anxiety issues. Most likely she will get worse w/o some real help. The sooner she deals with it the better off all of you will be. It may take some time, and may even take some medication, but just living with it will do nothing but frustrate you both.

Get her some help. I wish you the best in dealing with this.

That sounds like postpartum depression -- however, the OP should also be getting help. Treating your partner the way he did, knowing that she is having a tough time, is not a reasonable response. It is cruel and people who love each other and want to stay in a relationship do not behave that way.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
stasheroo;5092641 said:
Completely disagree.

When you don't have equality in a relationship, you don't have a relationship.

Right. Husband makes rules and wife has to follow them. You really miss that equality is about how you make decisions. Both sides need a say.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
AbeBeta;5092644 said:
Right. Husband makes rules and wife has to follow them. You really miss that equality is about how you make decisions. Both sides need a say.

No, sometimes Wife's make rules and Husbands have to follow them. It's not always like they show it on Lifetime.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
AbeBeta;5092642 said:
Treating your partner the way he did, knowing that she is having a tough time, is not a reasonable response. It is cruel and people who love each other and want to stay in a relationship do not behave that way.

He's frustration saturated. I would not call it cruel. A person gets to the end of the line and just trys something/anything to get the other's attention. Maybe not a great move, but hardly cruel. Its just frustration manifested.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;5092645 said:
No, sometimes Wife's make rules and Husbands have to follow them. It's not always like they show it on Lifetime.

Sure -- but in most of those sort of situations, you deal with the "is this worth fighting over" factor. Here is a clear case of conflict over a particular issue (one that likely is just a symptom of a bigger problem). Freaking discuss the problem! That is how healthy relationships work. This is his wife, not his child.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;5092649 said:
He's frustration saturated. I would not call it cruel. A person gets to the end of the line and just trys something/anything to get the other's attention. Maybe not a great move, but hardly cruel. Its just frustration manifested.

Fine. It is remarkably selfish then. She's clearly having some major issues. Responding with behaviors that will obviously make the situation worse is a clear indication that the OP is more focused on his own needs than helping his wife in this difficult period.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
a_minimalist;5092630 said:
Ever been called wildly dramatic before?

Uh...let's see. A newborn baby. Maybe having both parents isn't important in your life, but I'm guessing that kid's life it is.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
AbeBeta;5092662 said:
Fine. It is remarkably selfish then. She's clearly having some major issues. Responding with behaviors that will obviously make the situation worse is a clear indication that the OP is more focused on his own needs than helping his wife in this difficult period.

While I dont disagree with you, there are still 2 people involved in this relationship. What he has been putting up with has made his situation difficult as well. It might be accurate to say he is ignorant of the seriousness of her condition and didnt help things with his frustrated attempt, but not fair to classify it as cruel, or even selfish at this point.

The best thing he can do at this point is get her some professional help. See where it goes.