Twitter: Remaining quarterbacks in the playoffs were 1st round picks except Brock Purdy

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The bigger argument is what percentage of Super Bowls are won by 1st round picks .

If you’re looking for exceptions there are several but I’d prefer to go with higher odds.
I think it just depends on the guy. I would never mortgage my future and assume Mac Jones and Daniel Jones types would win a SB. That’s not a hindsight view either. I’ll say the same about JJ McCarthy too.

1942willys

Reaction score
The deeper you go into the draft the less likely you are to get a franchise QB.
Now to me a franchise QB is a guy who can get it done with a solid team and make it to the promised land
Both Romo and Dak are that kind of QBs;
I mean is anyone here saying that Flacco and Dilger and Brad Johnson and Stafford and Foles are really better than our last two?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’d call it a long shot. But with such a premium in QB’s often reach on 1st rounds. And so many of these picks go to crappy teams which doesn’t help. The bust rate is high.

I’d argue and the odds are certainly greater winning a SB with a 1st round pick. It’s really not close. But there are several exceptions.

I think with all the risks taken for a 1st round pick it’s fairly obvious how franchises see it.
I think the error comes in assuming these guys are winning because their quarterbacks are first rounders. If CJ Stroud and Bryce Young switched spots would they be the same team? Would they be in the playoffs?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think it just depends on the guy. I would never mortgage my future and assume Mac Jones and Daniel Jones types would win a SB. That’s not a hindsight view either. I’ll say the same about JJ McCarthy too.
For every bust there are success stories. No one is saying it’s a guarantee but it’s a proven method as most SB’s are won with 1st round picks.

jwitten82

Reaction score
Yea, I'm not sure about JJ McCarthy or Caleb Williams. McCarthy already has a sports therapist doing some queer meditating on the field, and Williams is a grown ahh man crying to his mom like a sucka, he'd crack under pressure

1942willys

Reaction score
I’m not sure I’d call it a long shot. But with such a premium in QB’s often reach on 1st rounds. And so many of these picks go to crappy teams which doesn’t help. The bust rate is high.

I’d argue and the odds are certainly greater winning a SB with a 1st round pick. It’s really not close. But there are several exceptions.

I think with all the risks taken for a 1st round pick it’s fairly obvious how franchises see it.
When you are like one out of three or four to win that is a long shot

I absolutely say that you have the best chance of getting a franchise drafting one high in the first rd
But its still a big risk

1942willys

Reaction score
For every bust there are success stories. No one is saying it’s a guarantee but it’s a proven method as most SB’s are won with 1st round picks.
The numbers say that there is pretty much one winner vs about three busts

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The deeper you go into the draft the less likely you are to get a franchise QB.
Now to me a franchise QB is a guy who can get it done with a solid team and make it to the promised land
Both Romo and Dak are that kind of QBs;
I mean is anyone here saying that Flacco and Dilger and Brad Johnson and Stafford and Foles are really better than our last two?
I agree. Ultimately it comes down to the best coached teams. I see more of a trend of well coached teams winning rings then I do simply guys being first rounders.

1942willys

Reaction score
The days when a QB like Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer can get a ring are gone; the rule changes have so hamstrung the defenses now you cannot build one great enough to do it anymore
Even Seahawks had a very good QB when they won it (and would have won two if not for Pete Carrols ego)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the error comes in assuming these guys are winning because their quarterbacks are first rounders. If CJ Stroud and Bryce Young switched spots would they be the same team? Would they be in the playoffs?
We can dissect it however we want but the bottomline is 1st round picks provide an opportunity for higher success rate and why franchises continue taking the risk on draft day.

The fact there are the Strouds out there is why teams will continue placing a high premium on QB’s in first round.

And the bust will continue but franchises will continue swinging for the fences.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ok if Penix fell that’s different. I was under the impression he was a top 5 pick. I’d rather draft a offensive tackle personally and not have to pray and hope Smith stays healthy.
Top 5 QB. It's kind of all over the board with him as far as where he's projected. I've seen him as high as 11th to Minnesota. Others have him slipping to the 2nd-4th. I don't see that last part happening.

1942willys

Reaction score
We can dissect it however we want but the bottomline is 1st round picks provide an opportunity for higher success rate and why franchises continue taking the risk on draft day.

The fact there are the Strouds out there is why teams will continue placing a high premium on QB’s in first round.

And the bust will continue but franchises will continue swinging for the fences.
exactly and bluntly speaking it is the best shot you have got
A lot of the worst QB busts were obvious to a lot of people; but GMs and others fall in love with a guy with a rocket arm or whatever and do not look hard enough at the PERSON

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

But the point I think is being missed is thre Texans have good coaches and a good team. The experts and analysts didn’t see it so now they want to solely credit Stroud. And he is great. No doubt. But Stroud doesn’t play defense and he doesn’t run routes. A Stroud or a Burrow happens when you have good coaching. It’s why Herbert has had a trash career despite stats. He’s had horrendous coaching. But I’m suppose to believe he’s inferior to Tua? I don’t see it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Regardless the numbers franchises continue taking the risks because the potential of hitting.
Because it’s all they know. Sometimes you have to do it. I would keep Fields and build around him but taking a quarterback at 1 isn’t stupid it’s the right thing to do because stats show it. But stats also show 1st overall picks don’t go to the SB….but whos going to argue against that stupid claim? Who’s going to say don’t take Caleb Williams because 1st overall picks don’t win Super Bowls?

1942willys

Reaction score
Because it’s all they know. Sometimes you have to do it. I would keep Fields and build around him but taking a quarterback at 1 isn’t stupid it’s the right thing to do because stats show it. But stats also show 1st overall picks don’t go to the SB….but whos going to argue against that stupid claim? Who’s going to say don’t take Caleb Williams because 1st overall picks don’t win Super Bowls?
Its interesting the rate of busts for the first overall pick as regards QBs. Aikman and Elway I think trying to remember are the only absolute HOF's I can remember

EDIT
Peyton Manning as well

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Top 5 QB. It's kind of all over the board with him as far as where he's projected. I've seen him as high as 11th to Minnesota. Others have him slipping to the 2nd-4th. I don't see that last part happening.
Yeah I don’t understand that. Steelers, Broncos, Bears, Commanders,Pats,Vikings….man they are bold.