Twitter: Remember Jerry's fascination with Paxton Lynch?

zekecowboy

Reaction score
:laugh:

20230221-234158.jpg

jerry-jones-gotime.jpg

Oh Jerry was a sly one.

Pentagruel

Reaction score
Revisionist history. Jerry Jones did not get Romo. That was Sean Payton and Parcells. Jerry did not want Dak. That was Wade Wilson (RIP), Scott Linehan, and convincing Garrett.

He is the only GM that traded for a franchise tag player that never made a Pro Bowl giving up 2 no.1 draft picks, he would not give a contract to the leading rusher in the NFL after the 1992 season who became the leading rusher in NFL history, he passed on Randy Moss (with a scout in Rand VA with plane tickets to Dallas), he fired 2 Hall of Fame Head Coaches, one after winning back to back Super bowls, and ran off another Hall of Fame Head Coach. He traded a no.1 pick for a WR the 0-16 Lions were going to cut, traded away a top five draft pick WR that got them to the 2018 playoffs, multiple Pro Bowls, and let the team in playoff TDs and catches for swap of 5th round picks, and without Parcells or Will McClay he has had some of the worst drafts in Cowboys history (see 1997-2001, and 2009). Did I say he passed on RANDY Moss?

To say Jerry Jones hits on drafting players is incredulous.
As I mentioned, he put the people in place that made those decisions and ultimately listened to them, as is a GM’s job. So yeah, I do give him credit for getting two pretty good QB’s with limited resources just like I would blame him for drafting a Taco Charlton even if Jerry wasn’t really that into the pick. He is the GM and he is ultimately responsible. That includes putting the right people in charge. You people just cherry pick what Jerry is responsible for and what he isn’t and it really detracts from your own arguments.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Here's the deal.

I have a problem with any fan, long-term or otherwise, who minimizes the effect Jones has had on the team for 28 years. His ego has paralyzed the organization for decades and set us back years. Maybe you remember him stepping into the draft room and overruling everyone in order to draft Quincy because he thought he was the next Donavan McNabb. Maybe you don't, but there is so much wrong with that on so many levels.

He finally acquiesced with Parcells but only to get the stadium built.

He got lucky with Romo and Dak and they have kept us relevant but that's all. It's like he's waterboarding us. We do just enough to make things interesting. I don't doubt for a second he doesn't want to win but he won't do what we all know it takes to it so it becomes a disingenuous statement that fans buy into.

So...you can bet your *** I will be up his every day because he's earned it. If Charlotte takes over and Stephen would somehow agrees to a GM then I'll change but until then they get everything they deserve. My standards haven't lowered enough to tolerate him. I can't summon a false premise of "the team is run by committee" like that's okay when you and I know both know when it comes right down to it's not. I think you are better than that.

Lastly, I don't like being like this. I would much rather talk about depth at linebacker and next year's schedule. In fact, I used to hate people like me now who were so negative towards the team but I've hit the wall. He has taken the love of my life when I cried as a little kid at the Ice Bowl and who missed school after The Catch because I was so distraught and who has spent thousands of dollars on tickets, travel, and merch over decades and made it an acquaintance. I cannot forgive him for that.

But hey nobody cares. It's my cross to bear. It's a shame but there are worse tragedies happening every day.
I totally agree with you there are worse things in life that being a fan of a team that nearly over the past 30 years can't seem to reach and sustain greatness again. I also get tired of hearing the same old song, from key players, the coaches and particularly upper management. I don't dismiss that Jerry Jones has had a substantial hand in our lack of post season success. Just that he has had dysfunctional help along the way.
Is he chiefly responsible, yes. I am not giving 80 year old Jerry a free pass or feel sorry for him. Just trying to look at things objectively. I don't have it in me to hate him, let alone to the degree that you do. Changes will come and some of us hope we will still be around when they do.

Every long term or die hard fan has had their unique, intense experience identifying with and emotionally investing in this team. I became a football fan in the 80s and when I moved to Texas I used to play a lot of amateur competitive racquetball. I lived in Mesquite and Irving Texas and became a life long Cowboys fan when I used to work out and play racquetball at what was then the Irving Athletic Club. The Cowboys and other NFL teams had their own racquetball league going on during the offseason so I got to play with some of these athletes (ref matches), particularly Cowboys who hung out at the sandwich job upstairs. Great, exciting times back then through the 90s. As you, I will remain an unwavering Dallas Cowboys fan to my very last breath.

Haimerej

Reaction score
That's my point my man, that's you. I'm not casting dispersions at you my dude. I'm pointing out a difference in how people see things. You say it was more fun when they're champions, ok fine, nobody can fault you for that.

It's just not how I see things. I don't even disagree with your take. I'm stating my position and that is , it's always fun to be a Cowboys fan. It was fun when we were 1-15, Less fun then Super Bowl Years, hell yeah but still fun. That made

winning Super Bowls even more fun, the s@# I talked to the Commander fans (This place is littered with them) when we won the Super Bowl was crazy. But I get your point, you want a Super Bowl. But it doesn't mean I'm less of a Cowboys fan

because winning a Super Bowl is not my ultimate goal.
I never said you were less of a fan. I was initially responding to a whiner telling people what they should be talking about with a little levity.

You've dragged out a simple joke into a way to cast aspersions about being sad unless we win a ring. My happiness isn't tied to a sports team's success. Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy them winning. Doesn't mean not expecting them to win makes me sad.

ESisback

Reaction score
I never said you were less of a fan. I was initially responding to a whiner telling people what they should be talking about with a little levity.

You've dragged out a simple joke into a way to cast aspersions about being sad unless we win a ring. My happiness isn't tied to a sports team's success. Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy them winning. Doesn't mean not expecting them to win makes me sad.
Whiner?!? Isn’t that what you’re doing right now?

Haimerej

Reaction score
You complained good naturedly about my good natured complaint when you told the other guy you were only replying to a whiner. No malice, relax.
I thought it was more of a description than a complaint.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Semantics
Entering a thread to question the necessity of the topic seems like a complaint. Not sure how pointing that out is also a complaint, but whatever. I mean, if I said something like, "why waste time on this crap?" you might have a point. But I get it, you're rubber, I'm glue, nanny nanny boo boo and all that.

ESisback

Reaction score
Entering a thread to question the necessity of the topic seems like a complaint. Not sure how pointing that out is also a complaint, but whatever. I mean, if I said something like, "why waste time on this crap?" you might have a point. But I get it, you're rubber, I'm glue, nanny nanny boo boo and all that.
If that rationalizes it for you, cool! But you DON’T think we waste too much time stressing over old mistakes?!?

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score

Cool then. Mis communication on my part, my bad

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Paxton just needed a new offensive coordinator, offensive line, wide receivers, running back, and a stout defense that gave up no points.

Haimerej

Reaction score
If that rationalizes it for you, cool! But you DON’T think we waste too much time stressing over old mistakes?!?
I don't. This entire place is a waste of time. Far be it for me to tell anyone how to spend it.

Haimerej

Reaction score
I’m the “whiner”, because I dared to suggest we spend too much time stressing over past failures, like Jerry coveting Paxton Lynch. Hell, lots of people did!
Are people stressing over it or has it become a source of comedy? I mean, part of what brings me back here is seeing all the crazy rationalizations and getting a chuckle. This seemed like a comic relief/dodged a bullet thread moreso than a lamentation.