Video: Remembering Sept 11th

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
If you find yourself in NYC and haven't done so, I urge you to visit the 9-11 Museum. I was working in the Bronx on that fateful morning and from 9/13 on through the next couple of months worked shifts for my agency near ground zero and subsequently pier 96 where the search, rescue and logistics operations center was moved.

I was stunned at the artifacts on display within the incredible archive. The museum was built within the deep foundation of the towers with the bathtub standing tall and still leeching water from the Hudson river. The now cut steel columns and their footings that once held the Towers erect are visible inside as is the untouched remains of a concrete staircase that ascended from the Path Rail in the basement of the Towers. Too many incredible artifacts and documented experiences to list. After visiting, I understood why it took over a decade to build.

This hallowed ground will leave you speechless and provide a perspective from that day that most people will never experience.

Peace.

quickccc

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the thread. I could only shake my head at a few people I told 'Do not forget today' and they basically all replied, "What's today?"

yeh East, I guess I could understand if people just somehow missed the actual date of the week, but I could really be confused if they did not understand what we meant by saying
".. don't forget, today is it's Sept.11th .." and they still happen to said "what is that ?"

I never forget the sheer panic and hysteria at my work place. the internet was freezing and shutting down, of course virtually every job place (except law enforcement, hospitals, fire stations I assume)
allowed workers to go home. some people were crying with fear and wanting to get home to their family and to be safe, and they were screaming for immediate information.
And the traffic was so ridiculously bad, that I had to catch a public city bus from my workplace, ride it half way as close to my house as possible and walk the rest of the long way home.

and as I watched the TV news, many people in various cities were hitting the grocery stores for food, water and household goods as they thought they may be forced to stay in their houses.

quickccc

Reaction score
what are the best September 11th documentaries, movies or video tubes around ?

aria

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread, it’s crazy to think how long ago it was, still seems like yesterday to me. Coincidentally I was in the fire academy taking a test when they told us what happened. We had to finish our day but it was rough, I think all of us were just going through the motions in a shocked daze.

Here’s my personal tribute to the victims and first responders on my American history sleeve. It’s cool that a lot of kids are interested in tattoos (I’ll give them a little history lesson about the different objects) but most, even the “older” ones have no idea what the towers looked like.

uWSMfwT.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score
When I was a professor, I would always show this Academy Award winning Doc. I still remember and I'm still pissed.

thanks, i'll check this one out.
I've been wondering if there are some 9/11 docs or movies that I may have missed, unaware of them.

aria

Reaction score
And my favorite tribute song and very fitting considering NY is where they all hailed from and they’re one of my favorite bands. RIP MCA

yimyammer

Reaction score
If you find yourself in NYC and haven't done so, I urge you to visit the 9-11 Museum. I was working in the Bronx on that fateful morning and from 9/13 on through the next couple of months worked shifts for my agency near ground zero and subsequently pier 96 where the search, rescue and logistics operations center was moved.

I was stunned at the artifacts on display within the incredible archive. The museum was built within the deep foundation of the towers with the bathtub standing tall and still leeching water from the Hudson river. The now cut steel columns and their footings that once held the Towers erect are visible inside as is the untouched remains of a concrete staircase that ascended from the Path Rail in the basement of the Towers. Too many incredible artifacts and documented experiences to list. After visiting, I understood why it took over a decade to build.

This hallowed ground will leave you speechless and provide a perspective from that day that most people will never experience.

Peace.

agreed, my girlfriend and I went last year. Its very well done and honestly too much to digest in one visit

Last edited:

Big_D

Reaction score
I think they usually do it for several days before and after, but I could be mistaken. It's also possible they were up this morning but obscured by clouds.

I took a walk down there on the night of 9/11. I was thinking I would get a nice pic of the lights. They were lit that night, but they aren't coming from the footprints of the towers. I'm guessing battery park? Seemed weird. I don't know if they always do it like that? Can't tell at all from the Jersey side.

Big_D

Reaction score
Two guys that work with in Dallas were in NYC for a meeting that day.

They were in the 2nd tower on about the 4th floor when the first tower was hit
We were on a conference call with them at the time.
The building intercom was telling everyone to stay put even after the 2nd one was hit.
We were saying get out of there.

They all hit the stairs--which were filling up fast--and went all the way down.
On the way down, they kept passing fire fighters on the way UP.

Both men made it out and ducked into the subway below ground, but were covered in white dust as the building was coming down while they were running on the street toward the subway.

Obviously the first responders that they saw were buried.

Surreal and life-changing stuff.

still pisses me off that they didn't clear out the 2nd tower the second the first got hit. Could've really saved a lot of people. Stay put? That's ridiculous and sad.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I took a walk down there on the night of 9/11. I was thinking I would get a nice pic of the lights. They were lit that night, but they aren't coming from the footprints of the towers. I'm guessing battery park? Seemed weird. I don't know if they always do it like that? Can't tell at all from the Jersey side.
I come in via the BQE, from CT, so from that angle, if it was in Battery Park, it would look like it was at Ground Zero. It also makes sense that as bright as those lights have to be, they'd want to put them where people wouldn't be looking down at them.

Big_D

Reaction score
I come in via the BQE, from CT, so from that angle, if it was in Battery Park, it would look like it was at Ground Zero. It also makes sense that as bright as those lights have to be, they'd want to put them where people wouldn't be looking down at them.

Plus it's very busy during the anniversary. So it makes sense.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I think we will never forget that morning and where we were when it happened
Yes, I was laying in bed with a cup of coffee & the ol' lady ,needing to get up&ready to go to work ,with the t.v. on,,,well, needless to say ,we we're sitting there in dismay watching this one tower smoking &starting to burn& then the camera panned away & picked up this jumbo jet making a slight port side banking maneuver, squaring up & impacting into the second tower,,,we both were in slack jawed stunned disbelief of what we'd just seen unfolding,,, work was ringing in wanting to know what's up with my absence & I told the supervisor to get to a t.v. a check it out,my foreman called me an hour later& told me I still needed to come in to work& attend to the scheduled bizness up on the board, I was there in 10 minutes, in a continuous fog pretty much that whole day.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
I went to hs in newark. I was in workshop class at the time I was a senior. Our teacher would listen to the radio and we heard everything over the radio then the school went on lockdown. Kids freaking out who's parents or family was in nyc at the time. Then parents that could were darting over to the school to pick up the kids. I was able to drive outta there. Then just went home and watched the craziness. OP is right tho the museum and the memorial really hits home.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Good call, Men.

https://www.911memorial.org/tribute-light