Report: Commanders will release Robert Griffin III

rpntex

Reaction score
So if he can't function in a pro style scheme, yes, it is a terrible idea to bring him in as a backup. What do we do when Romo goes down, install the read option midstream?

That's what Broaddus was joking about last week. RGknee is not a fit for this offense, and there's no way Garrett/Linehan are going to change the scheme to some sort of hybrid that is friendly to both Romo and Griffin. I'll be real surprised to see him in Dallas.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
So just because he is on a bad team and not the right fit you think this guys career is over? He didn't forget how to play. Change of scenery sometimes is a blessing.

I and Vince Young endorse this message.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I and Vince Young endorse this message.

Vince Young had a combination of performance and social issues...?

The offense, at Washington, was built around the strengths of RGIII. Then he was hurt, so, which is he when nourished and healthy...a Seattle or San Francisco version?

I think that if Dez Bryant had another quality receiver to work with, with the rest of the receiver group, RGIII would be a strong backup. He could be coached up and given reps in a Dallas setting.

I learned in the Service, that not all training environments are a joke.

Frozen700

Reaction score
A QB that struggles to read a defense and doesn't nearly have the mobility that he had in 2012 and likely never will. If you think Romo is a demon, wait until you get the devil in there. The next QB for this team should come via the draft.

Well if we can get one in the draft I'll take it as a W also. Along as we are looking to replace Romo

CCBoy

Reaction score
Well if we can get one in the draft I'll take it as a W also. Along as we are looking to replace Romo

My waivering element, is that this needs to fully compliment a short span of years for the benefit of a Romo led team. To me, a blue chip is needed most on the defensive box area. For this lineman desiring machine, make it the very top defensive tackle.

Fredd

Reaction score
My waivering element, is that this needs to fully compliment a short span of years for the benefit of a Romo led team. To me, a blue chip is needed most on the defensive box area. For this lineman desiring machine, make it the very top defensive tackle.

I am ok with a DL in round #1, but I am not sure if there is a DT worthy of #4....I said in another post, getting Bosa in rd 1, Jaylon smith in Rd 2 and then possibly a move with the 3rd rd pick (trade up a little if necessary) to get a QB like Cook (I can't see him in rd 1, but who knows)...then I am a happy camper

LittleD

Reaction score
Yeah but the thing is... how many QBs taken in the top 10 range in recent years have been busts? Quite a few. Matt Lineart, Vince Young, JaMarcus Russell, Sam Bradford, Brady Quinn, Blaine Gabbert, Jake Locker, Christan Ponder and many more. Of course any player at any position can be a bust, but QB tends to be either hit or miss. Pus we'd have to wait 3-4 years to even find that out with Romo still in the fold. If the Cowboys are serious about going all out to win it all during Romo's last couple seasons, getting a guy like RG3 or even drafting a Cardale Jones or Kevin Hogan in later rounds would be the way to go. Getting a guy at #4 that can contribute right away would be huge.

I agree with you that picking the "right" franchise QB in any round is a crapshoot. The statistics hold that you have the best chance
by picking one in the first two rounds though. I do agree that with our scouting department and coaching staff, that opportunity is
suspect at best. You roll the dice and takes your chances though I still feel that if you have an opportunity to select a QB for the
next 10 years at #4 you have to grab it cause we don't pick that high very often. The Cowboys may well screw up the pick but you
just have to try and set the team up for the years after Romo.

DakotaReign

JaBoy
Reaction score
Makes sense, I wouldn't mind him coming to Dallas if he is willing to sit and learn and work on his craft. He is not a starter right now but he appears bright and smart and could turn his career around.

This is all true. I just question his humility to realize that its true.

LittleD

Reaction score

There is no use to debate some of these guys. There is no way Garrett is going to change his pattern/timing based
offense to fit someone like RG3. As long as Romo can play they are going to keep the current system in place.
RG3 could only succeed in a west coast run & gun type system and I'm not
sure he can manage the run any longer. We just have to quit grasping at every straw in the wind and try and
select a QB in the draft who can be taught to run Garrett's system. Manziel and RG3 aren't them fellows.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
He had equivalent of nuclear meltdown and is shell of his former self. He is far from just needing to work on his craft.

How so?? He is just like any other player that was drafted and hasn't worked out and will be looking for a new team.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score

I don't know the kid at all, but here locally he has been quiet as a mouse, you almost forget he was on the team. The Cowboys are not gonna know his mental state unless they bring him in and talk to him just like any other FA.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There is no use to debate some of these guys. There is no way Garrett is going to change his pattern/timing based
offense to fit someone like RG3. As long as Romo can play they are going to keep the current system in place.
RG3 could only succeed in a west coast run & gun type system and I'm not
sure he can manage the run any longer. We just have to quit grasping at every straw in the wind and try and
select a QB in the draft who can be taught to run Garrett's system. Manziel and RG3 aren't them fellows.

This could well be true. Often the first players discussed on site, are the ones that no one really is expecting, yet there are intensely followed discussions. Hey, at least those fall into a discussion venue.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
There is no use to debate some of these guys. There is no way Garrett is going to change his pattern/timing based offense to fit someone like RG3. As long as Romo can play they are going to keep the current system in place. RG3 could only succeed in a west coast run & gun type system and I'm notVsure he can manage the run any longer. We just have to quit grasping at every straw in the wind and try and select a QB in the draft who can be taught to run Garrett's system. Manziel and RG3 aren't them fellows.

Exactly, your post should be a sticky thread on the home page. Unfortunately the RG3 an Manziel fans will continue to push their agenda.

conner01

Reaction score
If either of these walking distractions were signed, we will not draft a top QB prospect. They will view addressing the backup situation as mission accomplished and move on to other things.

Opinions are not facts. In fact they have said they are considering both a vet and a rookie and I think we need both
Whether or not either little Johnny or RGIII are viable backups is the question
I don't see anyway we go into the season with romo and a rookie as the only options at QB

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Opinions are not facts. In fact they have said they are considering both a vet and a rookie and I think we need both
Whether or not either little Johnny or RGIII are viable backups is the question
I don't see anyway we go into the season with romo and a rookie as the only options at QB

If you read what I wrote specifically, I stated simply getting a veteran eliminates a "top QB" prospect.

I can guarantee you that if they acquired Griffin or Manziel, that eliminates any chance of drafting Goff, Lynch, Wentz, practically any of the top QB prospects likely to go in premium rounds. They could take a rookie late, but there is no way they commit that many resources at QB.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
0ZPKX0e.jpg

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I don't see how either RGIII or Manziel do not end up in Dallas. From a JJ perspective, RGIII is still really young and Gives Dallas a potential starting QB when Romo retires that could be had at a decent price.

Seems like a Jerry Jones move all the way.

lol. Pretty sure the potential Romo successor isn't RGBUST. Either Goff or Lynch, or a qb in the 2nd round potential successors as of today.