Report: Cowboys' Mazi Smith may be dealing with struggles beyond field

eromeopolk

Reaction score
It wasn’t a great rookie season for Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Mazi Smith, and his sophomore year isn’t starting off any better. Smith’s shoulder surgery could be hampering his ability to make any drastic improvement before Year 2, and now it appears other factors are at play in his developmental curve.

In a recent podcast, former Cowboys scout and current media personality Bryan Broaddus hinted there may be some mental health angles to Smith’s struggles in his rookie season.

Full Article
I remember when Lin Elliott told Coach Jimmy Johnson that he lost his confidence. Jimmy cut him and got a kicker full of confidence in Eddie Murray. Same for DT. I hope Mazi gets healthy and get right in the head quick.

Eddie Murray replaced 4 former Cowboy kickers in Ken Willis, Lin Elliott, Roger Ruzek, and Richie Cunningham. Willis and Cunningham were with the Cowboys.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I remember when Lin Elliott told Coach Jimmy Johnson that he lost his confidence. Jimmy cut him and got a kicker full of confidence in Eddie Murray. Same for DT. I hope Mazi gets healthy and get right in the head quick.
extremely quick

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean i wish him well and hope he gets better but isn't that something our front office should have picked up before they drafted him,?
Jerral Wayne Jones, MD, Dallas Cowboys chief medical officer, may have given Mazi Smith the green light.

ohP22N0.gif

Proof

Reaction score
Basically it sounded like Broaddus was hearing (hinting at) Mazi lacked the mental makeup to be a number one pick of the highest profile team in sports and play under the brightest of lights. Further the disappointing play led led to an emotional downward spiral that fed on itself as the season progressed. That is what it sounded like Broaddus was getting at to me.
sheesh

Mr_437

Reaction score
If true, why not sign or draft a NT instead of forcing Mazi when you know he has issues?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Great argument, you mind going into a little more detail

Can you at least wait until training camp before considering the season a bust . Rogers the 7th rounder plus OSA and Smith . Like I’ve said on other posts guys like Hankins Armstrong Pollard Biadasz are all replaceable and not worth over paying . Hankins in particular seemed out with injury more than he was in . Probably why he doesn’t stay in one place that long .

jwitten82

Reaction score
Can you at least wait until training camp before considering the season a bust . Rogers the 7th rounder plus OSA and Smith . Like I’ve said on other posts guys like Hankins Armstrong Pollard Biadasz are all replaceable and not worth over paying . Hankins in particular seemed out with injury more than he was in . Probably why he doesn’t stay in one place that long .
But Hankins was a proven run stopper. None of the guys you mentioned have proven they can do that consistently, im definitely not gonna rely on a 7th rounder

RonWashington

Reaction score
But Hankins was a proven run stopper. None of the guys you mentioned have proven they can do that consistently, im definitely not gonna rely on a 7th rounder

We shall see . I’ve warned up a little bit on the Zimmer hire . Anything is an improvement over the GB disaster . The 7th rounder may surprise .

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
None of these guys have proven they can stop the run UNDER QUINN’s defense.

jwitten82

Reaction score
None of these guys have proven they can stop the run UNDER QUINN’s defense.
Lol Quinn>Zimmer. You think a 68 year old who's been out the league for two seasons is some savior then you're crazy