Report: Dak Prescott counteroffer higher than Carson Wentz deal

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'm really curious to find out how Mahomes is going to play this season. The Patriots set the example. Middle pass-rush destruction destroys him. Will it continue I think so
Will be interesting to see if there is a fall off now there is tape to watch. Is there a sophomore slump.

Sydla

Reaction score
I think the market value will be higher next year. Of course this is only my opinion by looking at the trend that’s happening. If mahomes gets his contract then it will drive up values for starting QBs. Not that Dak is better or on the same level as mahomes. Not sure when goff is up for his next contract. If Dak goes to the playoffs again this year then your looking at a starting QB that helped lead his team to the playoffs 3 out of 4 years. It’s looking as though our team is going to be better than last year (fingers crossed). His agent is asking for Wilson type money which is around 34 per year and I don’t want to see JJ do that. But next year 34 maybe the going rate. Especially if mahomes gets what they are saying he will. If we could get Dak for about what wentz got then it will look like a deal in a few years.

Again it’s only my opinion and what I think is going to happen.

But if Dak doesn't play well or is just decent again and the team just spits out another 9-7ish type season, there's no chance he's going to get close to what Mahomes would get. Again, people just think QB contracts go up regardless of how good or bad the QB is.

Foles just signed a reasonable (by QB standards) contract in Jax and he won a SB. If Dak doesn't play well in 2019, he's not getting an even bigger contract than what he's asking for now.

Sydla

Reaction score
We had a quarterback in training for 3 Seasons. How many first-round quarterbacks are already out of the league trying to do it Prescott did. Jared Goff was horrible during the playoffs reading defenses. This is Prescott 4th season he's no longer in training. The confidence the knowledge should be through the roof. This is the year we will truly know what we have as a quarterback. Some people will still don't him I'm sure I'm already a fan I've been on the bandwagon since his first preseason game against Seattle. I think they were like 15 different starting quarterbacks after Troy Aikman before Tony. The kid is a winner in my opinion

Agreed. So make him play out his rookie contract and then see is he's progressed enough to warrant that truly elite QB contract.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Agreed. So make him play out his rookie contract and then see is he's progressed enough to warrant that truly elite QB contract.
I don't like the word elite. the doesn't work in this league any longer. For me it's about leadership camaraderie. That's why I pay Prescott right now. He has everything it takes in my opinion. You're only as good as your coaches and your teammates. Elite goes to only one guy the goat

erod

Reaction score
Dan Marino says hi.

Did Dan Marino inherit the best offensive line in football, the league's leading rusher, a Hall of Fame tight end, plus Dez Bryant and Cole Beasley?

No, he did not.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There really isn't less money as the cap will go up anyway. If they want to bring back Zeke they can do so whether Dak is averaging $33MM a year or $37MM a year.

People are coming up with some false choices here in order to justify signing Dak now, when in fact, the Cowboys really don't have to.

Yes the cap will go up, but what if some other running back gets a lot more money, then Zeke's value will go up, and your additional cap money would be eaten up by that possibly.

No, the Cowboys don't have to sign Dak, nobody is saying that. But he won't sign a 1 or 2 more year deal, it'll be at least 4, and even if you sign him for like $35 mil a year, in 3-4 years that will likely be a bargain, as long as he and/or the team improves.

If you think there's zero reason to sign Dak now, fine, but it's not a black and white decision...
He has won more Primetime games at any other quarterback in the last 3 Seasons. More fourth-quarter wins that any other quarterback last three seasons. Took the franchise to the playoffs two of the last three seasons. Homerism has nothing to do with it. We know a winner when we see it

At the least, if the Cowboys go away from Dak, then there's no guarantee the new guy will be any better. No guarantee he won't of course, again, nobody knows, you pays your money and takes your chance;)

glimmerman

Reaction score
But if Dak doesn't play well or is just decent again and the team just spits out another 9-7ish type season, there's no chance he's going to get close to what Mahomes would get. Again, people just think QB contracts go up regardless of how good or bad the QB is.

Foles just signed a reasonable (by QB standards) contract in Jax and he won a SB. If Dak doesn't play well in 2019, he's not getting an even bigger contract than what he's asking for now.
I can’t disagree with you. I don’t want us to cave and pay him what he wants right now. 34 million isn’t a fair deal for our team. That’s what a SB winning QB got. At first I thought the wentz contract was a good thing for us because I figure Daks will be along the same lines. But seeing that he is actually getting 32 I realize it wasn’t that good of a thing for us. Lol.

As far as foles contract I never thought he was gonna get a bundle. I know he won a SB but that team got him there, he made a few plays when he needed to but nothing like a brady or rogers.

I am only siding with the fact that this team is healthy and seems to be posed to be better than even last year. Lots of things can happen over the course of the season. I just don’t think Dak has hit his ceiling yet. He may not be far from it but not yet. Reads should get easier and the game will slow down for him. He has Cooper for a full year and Gallup with more experience. Apparently what we are hearing so far is that Cobb and Dak are coming along very quickly. Cobb maybe a upgrade over beez.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes the cap will go up, but what if some other running back gets a lot more money, then Zeke's value will go up, and your additional cap money would be eaten up by that possibly.

No, the Cowboys don't have to sign Dak, nobody is saying that. But he won't sign a 1 or 2 more year deal, it'll be at least 4, and even if you sign him for like $35 mil a year, in 3-4 years that will likely be a bargain, as long as he and/or the team improves.

If you think there's zero reason to sign Dak now, fine, but it's not a black and white decision...

At the least, if the Cowboys go away from Dak, then there's no guarantee the new guy will be any better. No guarantee he won't of course, again, nobody knows, you pays your money and takes your chance;)

If in 4 years a $32MM contract will be a bargain, so will a $37MM a year contract.

Again, the difference between what Dak is demanding now and what he might get in a year isn't going to crush the cap. What will crush the cap is signing him now to a big deal and he ends up being a mediocre QB.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don't like the word elite. the doesn't work in this league any longer. For me it's about leadership camaraderie. That's why I pay Prescott right now. He has everything it takes in my opinion. You're only as good as your coaches and your teammates. Elite goes to only one guy the goat

So you want to pay a guy $34MM a year because you see him as a leader? That's absurd.

And sure, coaching is important but you still have to have talent to be a great QB. You, yourself, just said this coming year will show us what we have in Dak. Why in the world would you commit such a massive financial commitment to a QB that you are looking for this coming year to prove to you what kind of QB he is?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If in 4 years a $32MM contract will be a bargain, so will a $37MM a year contract.

Since when is there enough money to pay everybody you want, in any year?

You need everything you can get every year, spending an extra $5 million a year more than you have to isn't good business....

Sydla

Reaction score
There's enough money to sign your best players if you structure contracts right.

So again, signing Dak for $32MM now or $37MM next year won't mean we can't bring back Elliott if we want (granted, I don't think he should be back under a long term deal anyway but that's another discussion).

Birdgang

Reaction score
I can’t disagree with you. I don’t want us to cave and pay him what he wants right now. 34 million isn’t a fair deal for our team. That’s what a SB winning QB got. At first I thought the wentz contract was a good thing for us because I figure Daks will be along the same lines. But seeing that he is actually getting 32 I realize it wasn’t that good of a thing for us. Lol.

As far as foles contract I never thought he was gonna get a bundle. I know he won a SB but that team got him there, he made a few plays when he needed to but nothing like a brady or rogers.

I am only siding with the fact that this team is healthy and seems to be posed to be better than even last year. Lots of things can happen over the course of the season. I just don’t think Dak has hit his ceiling yet. He may not be far from it but not yet. Reads should get easier and the game will slow down for him. He has Cooper for a full year and Gallup with more experience. Apparently what we are hearing so far is that Cobb and Dak are coming along very quickly. Cobb maybe a upgrade over beez.

But Wentz won't be getting 32 Million for another 2 years because of having the 5th year option. So in 2 years it will be more like a Foles deal. Dak does not have the option of that so you cant really compare their contracts. Ive said many times I dont get all the comparisons between the 2 Qbs. Both situations have been 100% different since both came into the NFL. The only reason is hate for a team, because an honest evaluation has way too many variables for most to take in.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There's enough money to sign your best players if you structure contracts right.

So again, signing Dak for $32MM now or $37MM next year won't mean we can't bring back Elliott if we want (granted, I don't think he should be back under a long term deal anyway but that's another discussion).

There's never enough money to go around to pay everybody you want, no matter how you structure contracts. And there's no way to know if the extra $5 mil won't keep from signing Zeke, or any other player. We'll see how Jerry and Stephen work it out, hopefully they agree on things!

Obviously we view the matter differently, and that's cool...

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Did Dan Marino inherit the best offensive line in football, the league's leading rusher, a Hall of Fame tight end, plus Dez Bryant and Cole Beasley?

No, he did not.
Super Duper and Mark Clayton. The best head coach this side Bill Belichick, Shula. The best pass blocking offensive line of all time. See what they did to the mighty Bears. The killer Bs defense. They lost to the Skins in the Superbowl the year before Marino. Please stop it. Your embarrassing yourself. Let's not overrate Dez. He was great in 2014. Not much since then. Beasley? HA!HA!HA! Love our line but let's not overrate it.

csirl

Reaction score
Memo to Dak's Agent:

I read on another thread that the Jones' are on holidays in Greece. So who are you negotiating with?

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
We don't know that. It could happen, it could not.

What if Dak goes out and has another decent year and the team misses the playoffs or gets bounced early again? He's certainly not going to be in a position to ask for even more than he's asking for now.
If he plays decent again next season he costs more at the end of the season.

One less year of leverage for the Cowboys, and rising QB salaries.

glimmerman

Reaction score
But Wentz won't be getting 32 Million for another 2 years because of having the 5th year option. So in 2 years it will be more like a Foles deal. Dak does not have the option of that so you cant really compare their contracts. Ive said many times I dont get all the comparisons between the 2 Qbs. Both situations have been 100% different since both came into the NFL. The only reason is hate for a team, because an honest evaluation has way too many variables for most to take in.
And these are some things that I admit that I don't understand about these contracts. I know that they get the guaranteed money and a signing bonus that goes towards the guaranteed money and teams try to get that money paid in the first 3 or 4 years so the team will have a out.

erod

Reaction score
Super Duper and Mark Clayton. The best head coach this side Bill Belichick, Shula. The best pass blocking offensive line of all time. See what they did to the mighty Bears. The killer Bs defense. They lost to the Skins in the Superbowl the year before Marino. Please stop it. Your embarrassing yourself. Let's not overrate Dez. He was great in 2014. Not much since then. Beasley? HA!HA!HA! Love our line but let's not overrate it.
Duper and Clayton were overrated. Especially Duper. That thing crashed and burned over and over because Marino refused to adopt an offense with a true running game.

Dez was great because he had Romo. When he got hurt, Dez was exposed.

And are you actually comparing Dak to Marino.

Dak walked into a goldmine.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

And Dak didn't "inherit" the "leagues leading rusher", Zeke arrived at the same time as Dak, he wasn't there the year before Dak became the starter.

Though I do have to stick up a bit for Beasley, it's just possible he wasn't used as well as he could have been. We'll see how he does on a team that hasn't been that great lately...

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Duper and Clayton were overrated. Especially Duper. That thing crashed and burned over and over because Marino refused to adopt an offense with a true running game.

Dez was great because he had Romo. When he got hurt, Dez was exposed.

And are you actually comparing Dak to Marino.

Dak walked into a goldmine.
So did Marino. Give Dak credit. He saved us.