Report: Dak Prescott counteroffer higher than Carson Wentz deal

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If in 4 years a $32MM contract will be a bargain, so will a $37MM a year contract.

Again, the difference between what Dak is demanding now and what he might get in a year isn't going to crush the cap. What will crush the cap is signing him now to a big deal and he ends up being a mediocre QB.

Exactly right, And if they waited a year before lavishing a $34 million a year contract on him, guess what? You saved yourself $32 by paying him just $2 million in 2019, didn't you? Now spread that $32 million savings over the entirety of any contract he might sign in the future and you still come out ahead!

baltcowboy

Reaction score
And Dak didn't "inherit" the "leagues leading rusher", Zeke arrived at the same time as Dak, he wasn't there the year before Dak became the starter.

Though I do have to stick up a bit for Beasley, it's just possible he wasn't used as well as he could have been. We'll see how he does on a team that hasn't been that great lately...
I like Beasley. I just think the Mark's brothers was an all time duo. The 2016 Cowboys was picked to finish 3rd or 4th even with Romo. Dak saved us.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
they weren't wrong not to give Cousins the huge money. He's shown that he's not worth it, and the Vikings are now cap-strapped as a result.
Here's where the difference is. Washington didn't believe in Cousins. Dallas believes in Dak. Of course Washington wasn't going to pay Kirk Cousins, they thought they saw his ceiling already. They ended up being right, so far, but they Cowboys feel like Dak has more potential, and you pay for that at the QB position.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Here's where the difference is. Washington didn't believe in Cousins. Dallas believes in Dak. Of course Washington wasn't going to pay Kirk Cousins, they thought they saw his ceiling already. They ended up being right, so far, but they Cowboys feel like Dak has more potential, and you pay for that at the QB position.
pretty much, if I had to guess I would say that JJ and SJ are sitting on the yacht finalizing the guaranteed money and signing bonus.. It will be done sooner than later..

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

And we don't yet know whether the Cowboys assessment is the right one or the wrong one.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
And we don't yet know whether the Cowboys assessment is the right one or the wrong one.
You're absolutely right. My point is that their view on the QB is the difference in how its being handled.

glimmerman

Reaction score
So how much longer and what does he have to do before we are sold on him. Another playoff appearance and division title. It’s a team game. Is it better stats we need. What does he need to show before he gets paid.

I am not a lover or hater. I totally back him like I would any of our players and team.

Sydla

Reaction score
So how much longer and what does he have to do before we are sold on him. Another playoff appearance and division title. It’s a team game. Is it better stats we need. What does he need to show before he gets paid.

I am not a lover or hater. I totally back him like I would any of our players and team.

I need him to build upon the upward trend we saw in 2018. He had a great 2016, a pretty "blah" 2017 and then 2018 started slowly but he improved after Cooper came on board.

Show me in 2019 that he's taken the next step and I'll be happy to pay him. Revert to early 2018 or 2017 inconsistency? Then he's not worth the money people think he deserves.

Sydla

Reaction score
If he plays decent again next season he costs more at the end of the season.

One less year of leverage for the Cowboys, and rising QB salaries.

Cowboys could just tag him and the tag would be roughly what he would get AAV.

If he just has an average to decent year in 2019, there is ZERO chance he's going to get more than he's asking for now. Zero.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If in 4 years a $32MM contract will be a bargain, so will a $37MM a year contract.

Again, the difference between what Dak is demanding now and what he might get in a year isn't going to crush the cap. What will crush the cap is signing him now to a big deal and he ends up being a mediocre QB.

I think too many are under the assumption that it will crush the cap if we don't sign him this year. That somehow not signing him this year will make it cost-prohibitive next year.

If he proves to be the player we saw in 2016 and the second half of 2018, then the few extra million he's going to cost is not going to be a big deal because he's shown himself to be worthy of that kind of money. If he's up and down or plays like he did in 2017, then you haven't committed $107 million in guaranteed money to him.

You also can take that cap hit that you save this year and apply it to another player to take a chunk of what you are paying him and lower his future hits or simply roll money over.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Ageed, Of the FO don’t sign him before season starts then after this season his value will only increase. His agent had to come down a little though. Dak shouldn’t make what a SB winning QB is getting. Needs to be something fair for both sides. If wentz got 32 then offer 32.5 if he just has to have more.. big bonus and get that yearly average down so we can sign the next player.
Ah um glimmerman, not to step in your pudding bro, but wasn't it Nick Foles who won a SB? Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe ole Wentz was on that stretcher I mentioned in my above post...:):muttley:

silvrNblue

Reaction score
Cowboys could just tag him and the tag would be roughly what he would get AAV.

If he just has an average to decent year in 2019, there is ZERO chance he's going to get more than he's asking for now. Zero.
Tell THAT to Kirk Cousin's and the foreskins sydla....and to add, Cousins is about as mediocre as it gets!

Sydla

Reaction score
Tell THAT to Kirk Cousin's and the foreskins sydla....and to add, Cousins is about as mediocre as it gets!

Well for starters, Cousins is better than people around here give him credit for. He has numbers over the last three years that are as good, if not better, than Dak's. So if Dak is worth $34MM or whatever people want to pay him now after what Wentz got, then Kirk Cousins is worth $28MM.

Shoot, at this point, I'd much rather have a Kirk Cousins type contract on our books than what some want to give Dak.

But I am still not sure what your point is. Cousins and Washington had a weird dynamic and a falling out essentially. Washington could have tagged him again and they chose not to. I am not sure how Cousins' situation in Washington fits with Dak and the Cowboys.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
`

IMO, it's not all about Cousins here. Cousins is playing in the wrong Offense right now and that's the biggest part of why he's not putting up numbers. Cousins, IMO, is a good QB but the Vikes need to change things up Offensively.

Sydla

Reaction score
`

IMO, it's not all about Cousins here. Cousins is playing in the wrong Offense right now and that's the biggest part of why he's not putting up numbers. Cousins, IMO, is a good QB but the Vikes need to change things up Offensively.

Well in fairness, its not like he played terribly last year.

99.7 rating, 70.1% completion percentage, 30 TDs, 10 interceptions, 4300 yards passing.

He wasn't the reason Minnesota had issues last year.

silvrNblue

Reaction score
This is just ridiculous.

Personally, I want him to play out his contract and then have the Cowboys make a decision. If he plays well and they have to pay more than they would today, so be it, that's the cost of business. I am simply about limiting downside risk here. What I don't want is the Cowboys to pay him a contract that averages, say $33MM a year, and then he goes out and plays decently, but not great and the team continues to scuttle along as a 9-7 team.

The Cowboys have the leverage here, so they should use it.
That's right cause that's all weve been now his 3 years as QB.... good grief Sydla, why don't you simply come out from under the rug and ADMIT, you simply dislike Dak Prescott, your always putting the cart before the horse as if you OWN the damn cart. PAY him what the league demands now ( which had we done this last year, then you could complain that the 18 mil he got paid was over the top, but that's for another conversation) just get him paid, like him, hate him, despise him, Dak Prescott is the QB of your Dallas Cowboys.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well in fairness, its not like he played terribly last year.

99.7 rating, 70.1% completion percentage, 30 TDs, 10 interceptions, 4300 yards passing.

He wasn't the reason Minnesota had issues last year.

No. Far from it. I'm just saying that if you want him to take you to the next level, the Offense has to change up a bit. I think he gets a bad rap but whatever.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's right cause that's all weve been now his 3 years as QB.... good grief Sydla, why don't you simply come out from under the rug and ADMIT, you simply dislike Dak Prescott, your always putting the cart before the horse as if you OWN the damn cart. PAY him what the league demands now ( which had we done this last year, then you could complain that the 18 mil he got paid was over the top, but that's for another conversation) just get him paid, like him, hate him, despise him, Dak Prescott is the QB of your Dallas Cowboys.

What exactly does the league demand because I don't see anybody offering 30 million to Dak. What am I missing?

silvrNblue

Reaction score
`

So, what was his excuse his time with the foreskins? How many playoff games did he take them to, or for that matter win? not comparing Dp to Cousins here, but there was a reason the skins wouldn't sign him to a long term deal....as for the vikes, well he took the money, now if he is THAT QB, then he should be able to make it work.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So, what was his excuse his time with the foreskins? How many playoff games did he take them to, or for that matter win? not comparing Dp to Cousins here, but there was a reason the skins wouldn't sign him to a long term deal....as for the vikes, well he took the money, now if he is THAT QB, then he should be able to make it work.

Exactly what makes you think I owe you an excuse for him? I don't. He is playing in the wrong offense in Minnesota, that's a fact. You can accept that nor not. Doesn't matter to me.