Report: Dak Prescott counteroffer higher than Carson Wentz deal

John813

Reaction score
The NFL gave the OK for what Brady has done with his team-connected side business. If other teams were smart they'd copy it.

Brady also got his "below market deal" when he was a jillion years old by NFL standards. There is no market in 40+ QBs so there's kind of nothing to compare it to, this isn't Mahomes or even Wilson were talking about here age-wise.

Seems like Brees is taking less too now. Of course he's been in the league since 2001.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Seems like Brees is taking less too now. Of course he's been in the league since 2001.
Even the Benevolent Brees set a then NFL record for guaranteed money at one time too.
It's a lot easier to be "team friendly" now when you're the 3rd in All Time NFL earnings.

John813

Reaction score
Even the Benevolent Brees set a then NFL record for guaranteed money at one time too.
It's a lot easier to be "team friendly" now when you're the 3rd in All Time NFL earnings.

Yup.

Which is why I don't have a "bone to pick" with Prescott asking for his market value.

PhillySpecial

Reaction score
I'm not here to debate whether or not he deserves the $, I think he should be paid very well, but I also think QB's need to wise up if they want to win rings. Teams can't afford to pay them such large portions of their budgets and still contend for very long.

Considering the igglets over paid Carson and did it a year earlier than necessary, indicates to me that they did so deliberately to hamper our negotiations with Dak. They know we were trying to get a fair, but team friendly deal done so that we could continue to sign good FA's and push for a ring. If Dak gets that kind of $, most of that stops and we will lose some of our good players as well.

It's somebody's else's fault.

The Eagles have been identifying young players they want to keep and signing them a year early ever since Banner was in the FO. Players will usually take a below market deal early to shift the injury risk from the player to the team. And for a boatload of guaranteed money. They didn't do anything to spite the Cowboys. What's next? The Falcons extend Julio Jones and the Saints sign Michael Thomas before the Cowboys sign Amari Cooper out of spite to make negotiations harder between Cooper and the Cowboys?

SJ and JJ have known they want Dak to be their franchise QB, at least since last season. With Dak's agent's cooperation, they could've been setting everything up over the course of 9-12 months leading up to the new league year of 2019. They couldn't have signed it and made it official until the new league year this season. But there's no rule against talking about it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Jerry Jones is purposely waiting until the talk of OTAs (predictions on final 53 rosters, winners and losers of OTAs, etc) dies down and media is searching for anything to talk about to sign Dak. He's a master marketer. And what better way to get all the media talking about the Cowboys than signing Dak during the lull between the end of OTAs and the start of TC?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I've seen that happened on the old form. A forum staff member would get thrown out and be worse than ever.

Well, if I ever got thrown off this forum, I'm fairly certain that it would be because I either deserved it or decided it was time to go. I know everybody on this staff and they are all good people. If they one day gave me what was coming to me, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is making Dak the highest paid QB in the NFL some kind of point of pride for cowboy fans? I'm baffled. Is it so bad in cowboy fandom land that we have to take pride in our player salaries? Does giving Dak a Russel Wilson like deal get this get this team one step closer to a super bowl? NO In fact, its 2 steps backward.

Wood

Reaction score
Prescott's should be exactly what Carson got. Maybe 1 million more per year.

Eagles greatly overpaid in my opinion.

Is this a joke. The Eagles have an MVP caliber QB in their back pocket for next 6 seasons with cap hit of $154M. That avg of $25 million year. If he stays on field this is possible the most team friendly contract in all of sports. Dak isn't close to Wentz talent level but is more durable. If Dak gets what Wentz got...he should kiss the ground everyday that football gods had such mercy on him.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Is this a joke. The Eagles have an MVP caliber QB in their back pocket for next 6 seasons with cap hit of $154M. That avg of $25 million year. If he stays on field this is possible the most team friendly contract in all of sports. Dak isn't close to Wentz talent level but is more durable. If Dak gets what Wentz got...he should kiss the ground everyday that football gods had such mercy on him.
I know I would.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, if I ever got thrown off this forum, I'm fairly certain that it would be because I either deserved it or decided it was time to go. I know everybody on this staff and they are all good people. If they one day gave me what was coming to me, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I've contemplated banning you for no reason whatsoever, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Pretty sure some of the other mods feel the same way.

Corso

Reaction score
I've contemplated banning you for no reason whatsoever, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Pretty sure some of the other mods feel the same way.
It's on the honey-do list.

Corso

Reaction score
I would boycott. And the site... wouldn't suffer a bit.
But Still!!!

nobody

Reaction score

You're just lucky I'm not a mod and you are. I'd bench you for a day just for being a McDonald's Fry guy. :grin:

Buzzbait

Reaction score
Somebody should remind Dak that if he hogs all the salary cap, they'll have to hire Chaz Green to come back and work for cheap.
See what that does for his counter offer.:omg:

cristglo

Reaction score
Whatever dak sign for will make a lot of fans angry Im at the point of lets just get it done and out of the way before TC starts. If the Cowboys win a SB with him then Im sure it would have been worth it.
I think QB get paid to much money to begin with but you cant blame Dak for wanting all he can get. Anyone here looking for a raise at his job say I will take one for the team? Most people want the most money they can get. Do I want Dak to get 30+ million a year? Not with the salary cap but thats from a fans view If Im Dak in his situation I want as much money as the boss will give me.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I've actually ordered those exact words. And just being a poster. It gets frustrating I'm sure. I don't believe my initial response was aimed at you. The names this early in the learning process get cross-referenced. Be good be safe my cowboy family

MyFairLady

Reaction score
It's a way to circumvent the cap. That's undeniable. If he were getting compensated in line with his ability then it wouldn't be a big deal. But he has a below market deal and has had one exactly the same year he went into business with the patriots.
It is a clear violation of the collective bargaining agreement and is yet another example of the Patriots willingness to do whatever it takes to win. They are light years ahead of our clown show front office. Why we do not copy what they do in every single way is beyond me.