Report: Dak Prescott counteroffer higher than Carson Wentz deal

Hadenough

Reaction score
Yet Romo had outstanding stats and the haters here hated him with a passion. Continuously posting his win loss record. Now because Dak has the wins/losses but not Romo's stats they're taking the opposite take.
I dont think that many people hate Dak they just dont want to see the team crippled by over paying him. I Believe he is a product of the team around him like most QBs but see the team as having to be really good to win..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Be that as it may, if you have no proof that an actual offer exists, then it is nothing more then speculation. Do you disagree with that?

No, but when nobody can make such a comment about being willing to pay $34 million, there's no way of knowing either way. Sort of like having to prove you didn't do something that didn't happen;)

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I dont think that many people hate Dak they just dont want to see the team crippled by over paying him. I Believe he is a product of the team around him like most QBs but see the team as having to be really good to win..
His contract isn't going to cripple the team. The Cowboys FO has prepared well.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Oh I agree, it's not a hate thing.

But if you say Dak's not worth $34 mil, and the team lets him walk, what do you do then? You have no draft pick for Dak, likely the team does well enough so that you don't have a high pick next year, and with Zeke and Cooper and others contracts looming, likely not nearly enough cap space to pick up a top free agent quarterback.

Unfortunately, the team is somewhat victim of it's own success, even if Dak is just a bit better than average, enormous risk of drafting somebody who's worse...

glimmerman

Reaction score
His contract isn't going to cripple the team. The Cowboys FO has prepared well.
That coupled with Coopers. Elliot we can wait a few years, if we sign him. SJ has said he was going to. We also have Jaylons. I believe we will let Byron walk.

Also every starting QB contract cripples. I do believe that a few million per year makes a difference in signing other players but they have people that have mastered working the salary cap. And they have the money.

glimmerman

Reaction score
And the cap goes up every year, it's not like if they have a lot tied up in Dak this year there's not more money coming up in future years....
Just others needing contracts very soon. If we wait till Julio gets his contract then Cooper will cost us a few million a year more. Jaylon is coming up. We have people to figure out how to make it work so I don’t worry a lot about it. Especially since we draft pretty well.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Oh I agree, it's not a hate thing.

But if you say Dak's not worth $34 mil, and the team lets him walk, what do you do then? You have no draft pick for Dak, likely the team does well enough so that you don't have a high pick next year, and with Zeke and Cooper and others contracts looming, likely not nearly enough cap space to pick up a top free agent quarterback.

Unfortunately, the team is somewhat victim of it's own success, even if Dak is just a bit better than average, enormous risk of drafting somebody who's worse...

It would be a gamble trying to replace Dak. But if they did I would definitely give up some draft picks and try to get Trevor Lawrence but for temporary immediate help maybe they could get a Fitzpatrick or Keenum.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I love the word but if you are going to use it, don't get your feelings hurt because of what the implications are. What I said is exactly true. You assume that there is a team out there who is willing to pay 34 mil per year. Show me one team that has made that known or accept that this entire line of thought is an assumption.

Can't have it both ways.
Both ways? I'm the one that said nobody posting here knows anything. So which way would I have it? I'm not suggesting anything, quite the contrary. You seem to be in love with the number 34 mil. I don't know where you got that or why it's relevant to Dak. Maybe its another of your assumptions you like to do.

jay94

Reaction score
Its a QB league era and by rules stats are going to pop off the chart. He is totally inept show me some progress on the money down and not just the empty stats that he loves to gobble up to punt the ball the next down

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Dak on a rookie deal is a great asset. Dak at 34M a year is a detriment to the team's success.
In 2016 the team went 13-3 with Dak as the starting QB, and our QB CAP allocation being 15.16%

Dak with a CAP hit of $34M(it'll be much lower than that), would be a 18% of CAP and would go lower(would never be 18% to start) every passing year of the contract.

I wouldn't consider 13-3 a detriment.

csirl

Reaction score
Didn't say you did, I was agreeing with you , just adding to what you said about csirl's comment....

New HC = New QB.

Like it or not, the fate of Garrett and Dak are joined at the hip. Cowboys underachieve and both are gone.

glimmerman

Reaction score
In 2016 the team went 13-3 with Dak as the starting QB, and our QB CAP allocation being 15.16%

Dak with a CAP hit of $34M(it'll be much lower than that), would be a 18% of CAP and would go lower(would never be 18% to start) every passing year of the contract.

I wouldn't consider 13-3 a detriment.
and every year that the cap goes up the % goes down. and the next CBA will change things also. in 3 years 34 million may be a deal. but like you said it will be lower than 34. likely closer to the 32 mil that wentz got.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
and every year that the cap goes up the % goes down. and the next CBA will change things also. in 3 years 34 million may be a deal. but like you said it will be lower than 34. likely closer to the 32 mil that wentz got.
Correct, that's what I was trying to paint with my "...and would go lower every passing year of the contracr" since CAP would rise.

glimmerman

Reaction score
After the results of this team in the last 3 years.. We have paid our punter more than our starting QB.. Lol.. That's a good deal.. Time to pay the man..