Report: Dak Prescott counteroffer higher than Carson Wentz deal

aikemirv

Reaction score
Daks under contract so dont see the rush.

Best way to market test his value is to put a transition tag on him. Lets see what others are willing to offer.
Yep, I hope he asks for more than the Cowboys are willing to pay him. That would be the best long term outcome for the Cowboys!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep, I hope he asks for more than the Cowboys are willing to pay him. That would be the best long term outcome for the Cowboys!
Do you hope he asks for more? Or do you hope he will not accept a smaller figure offered by the front office? I am almost willing to suggest practically all player side contract talks involve an amount that a sports franchise is unwilling to meet. However, I am also willing to speculate practically al player side contract demands are lowered at some point during negotiations.

There have been exceptions to my generalized assumption though. I sincerely doubt Prescott or his agent are unreasonable to the point of not flinching from a specific demand. That said, I do believe both parties will settle on a contractual amount that will unnerve some observers of the process.

Certain reactions would not be a new occurrence. Some minds were blown when Romo got paid as well. Still are.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Some takes are so dumb I can't tell if they're being serious or just trolling.

This is a league where NATHAN PETERMAN got to start games in 2017 AND 2018. Then he got signed by the Raiders.

You don't even have to like Dak to recognize that he's infinitely better than that dill-hole.

He'll get job offers for as long as he wants to play football.
He’s a well known troll.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Do you hope he asks for more? Or do you hope he will not accept a smaller figure offered by the front office? I am almost willing to suggest practically all player side contract talks involve an amount that a sports franchise is unwilling to meet. However, I am also willing to speculate practically al player side contract demands are lowered at some point during negotiations.

There have been exceptions to my generalized assumption though. I sincerely doubt Prescott or his agent are unreasonable to the point of not flinching from a specific demand. That said, I do believe both parties will settle on a contractual amount that will unnerve some observers of the process.

Certain reactions would not be a new occurrence. Some minds were blown when Romo got paid as well. Still are.

Yeah I do hope that he is unreasonable and forces then into a Franchise tag and they go in another direction in a couple years. I think that is long term best for the team. He is not a QB that warrants 30 million that will cripple your cap and team for the next decade.

John813

Reaction score
Daks under contract so dont see the rush.

Best way to market test his value is to put a transition tag on him. Lets see what others are willing to offer.

And if a team offers him a stupid amount we get no compensation in return . Terrible idea.

John813

Reaction score
Well worth the risk.

No it's not.

You're willing to lose a QB for zero comp, including no future compensation pick?
At least franchise him, non exclusive tag, and allow him to talk to other teams.
If they really want him, they hand over two firsts, or they can trade for him where we at least can get some compensation in return.

csirl

Reaction score
No it's not.

You're willing to lose a QB for zero comp, including no future compensation pick?
At least franchise him, non exclusive tag, and allow him to talk to other teams.
If they really want him, they hand over two firsts, or they can trade for him where we at least can get some compensation in return.

I agree with you on the trade. If I were the Cowboys GM I'd be shopping him around now to see if I can get 2 x 1sts. If he's genuinely worth 30m plus, then someone will trade. If there are no takers, why offer him the money?

I'd be in the camp where I'd rather take my chances with a high 1st rounder (with 3 x firsts in 2020, we can trade a couple to move up) than sign Dak for 30m plus.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I agree with you on the trade. If I were the Cowboys GM I'd be shopping him around now to see if I can get 2 x 1sts. If he's genuinely worth 30m plus, then someone will trade. If there are no takers, why offer him the money?

I'd be in the camp where I'd rather take my chances with a high 1st rounder (with 3 x firsts in 2020, we can trade a couple to move up) than sign Dak for 30m plus.

Yeah dismantling a team with the 2nd most wins in the NFC over the last three years, and hoping and praying to land a franchise QB who won't be ready to take you to the promised land until your team has aged is a brilliant idea.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah I do hope that he is unreasonable and forces then into a Franchise tag and they go in another direction in a couple years. I think that is long term best for the team. He is not a QB that warrants 30 million that will cripple your cap and team for the next decade.
Anything is possible but I have the feeling Prescott is the type who will press for every cent (literally) he can get but not to the point where his final demand will be judged as unreasonable by the front office. I do believe also whatever mutually agreed upon amount will blow the socks off some outside observers of the current negotiations because his ultimately decided upon market value has already been quantified as unreasonable.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Anything is possible but I have the feeling Prescott is the type who will press for every cent (literally) he can get but not to the point where his final demand will be judged as unreasonable by the front office. I do believe also whatever mutually agreed upon amount will blow the socks off some outside observers of the current negotiations because his ultimately decided upon market value has already been quantified as unreasonable.

Nice analysis. Still too early in the game for final positions...

Sevenup3000

Reaction score

Dear dear...bitter guy...cheer up...I hear the Eagles could always use some more fans.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Yeah dismantling a team with the 2nd most wins in the NFC over the last three years, and hoping and praying to land a franchise QB who won't be ready to take you to the promised land until your team has aged is a brilliant idea.

They are just bitter. Trust me... people like him will stand up and cheer if Dak tore his ACL tomorrow. He has no other point than just to sit here and figure out ways to get rid of Dak - that is his overriding desire - to get rid of Dak...and he care little or how much said move will hurt his "favorite" team.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Dear dear...bitter guy...cheer up...I hear the Eagles could always use some more fans.
folejef could be his nick.

aikemirv

Reaction score
So I am bitter because I don’t think Dak is worth 30 million-or should I say bring 30 million of value out of your cap-ok good to know-maybe that’s just realism and you are way overeating Dak!

HungryLion

Reaction score

So you have a team that is very talented and ready to try and win a Super Bowl now. And you are willing to just throw this upcoming season into the toilet by starting Cooper rush or Mike White?

The team has the cap space to sign Dak.

What they don’t have is an Adequate replacement for him, if you get rid of him.

Also remember that a rookie QB has NEVER won a Super Bowl.

So if you get rid of Dak now. And draft one next offseason. You aren’t winning a Super Bowl next year either. So that’s two seasons of trying to win a championship, that you are throwing in the trash.

If the team was devoid of other talent and in rebuild
Mode. I wouldn’t hate the prospect of trading Dak. But this team has a legit chance to try and win now.

I also don’t understand why some people are stressing the cap space so much. Yes cap space is a resource you have to use wisely to build a team. You know what else are incredibly important resources to building a team? Draft picks. But people seem to have no hesitation about using a whole bunch of them to try and replace Dak.

Point is, replacing Dak isn’t going to be nearly as easy as some make it out to be. It also is going to probably be very costly in either cap space or draft picks as well.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
I hate the eagles as much or more than the next guy and I’m down with Dak but Wentz doesn’t suck

Injury prone yes not lived up to his billing yes but sucks no.

They still got Jefferies and Jackson is back they’ll be a tall task and we beat them twice last year .

That said I expect at least a split

csirl

Reaction score
So you have a team that is very talented and ready to try and win a Super Bowl now. And you are willing to just throw this upcoming season into the toilet by starting Cooper rush or Mike White?

The team has the cap space to sign Dak.

What they don’t have is an Adequate replacement for him, if you get rid of him.

Also remember that a rookie QB has NEVER won a Super Bowl.

So if you get rid of Dak now. And draft one next offseason. .

I dont think the Garrett/Dak combination will ever win a SB. So prepare for 2020 anf beyond.