Report: Dak Prescott counteroffer higher than Carson Wentz deal

Hadenough

Reaction score
The way I look at the Cowboys is this team is they have a very good Oline, RB, WR, LBs, DE, CB. The defense was top 10 last year but they were just bad in the rams and colts game. The brought in players to help with the dline. The passing game was bottom 3rd in the league and they brought in some players and new offensive coordinator to help with that. They either need a very good coach that can get the best out of his players or they need an elite QB that is good enough to overcome the coaches deficiencies and elevate the players around him.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I think Bird is talking about Wentz' deal and not Daks. As of yet, I have seen nothing in the way of how Dak's deal would be structured but either way, because of the way that is structured, it's an average of like 26 mil over 6 years with 107 guaranteed.
well 107 G is pretty good, no way dak is being offered that much G

Sydla

Reaction score
It's bizarre that we were getting reports of a deal possibly being imminent and then as soon as Wentz signs, it goes cold. Me thinks Dak and his agents jacked their asking price and the Cowboys aren't budging.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
But not this year LA. I mean, thats the key. Understand, we are talking about guaranteed money this season. We are basically talking about a minimum of something like 25 mil he would make this year, instead of 2 mil. If Dak waits on another team to come forward and offer him 30+, that means that he waits till 2020 to get that money. He basically leaves 25 or more on the table and he can't make that up. So you really need to think about the money from the perspective of how much are you going to make over the entire course of your career, then you have to think about what can take away, in my pocket, right now. If he does a deal this year, he puts that additional money in his pocket now. If he waits, yes he probably will make 30 plus but he would never make up that money he would miss on if he signed this year. If he does a deal for like 26 or 27 he's in a position to come up on a contract sooner and for bigger money. The longer he waits, the more money he gets per year, the longer the contract is likely to be. He would be wise to take less now, for 2 seasons and a player option 3rd year and get to a new contract sooner. That's how he would make the most money, is what I'm saying.

I understand, guess we'll see what he decides...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's bizarre that we were getting reports of a deal possibly being imminent and then as soon as Wentz signs, it goes cold. Me thinks Dak and his agents jacked their asking price and the Cowboys aren't budging.

Don't know, Jerry/Stephen have to be careful not to do a deal before they absolutely have to, because in future negotiations with Dak or any other player, Dak or the other player can say "well, you didn't wait before/for Dak, why can't you do a deal now for me?".

Signing deals early could be construed as Jerry being desperate or too eager to sign, this deal isn't in a vacuum, it can have ramifications far beyond this year...

Sydla

Reaction score
Don't know, Jerry/Stephen have to be careful not to do a deal before they absolutely have to, because in future negotiations with Dak or any other player, Dak or the other player can say "well, you didn't wait before/for Dak, why can't you do a deal now for me?".

Signing deals early could be construed as Jerry being desperate or too eager to sign, this deal isn't in a vacuum, it can have ramifications far beyond this year...

I don't think that really applies here though. With Wentz's deal and both he and Dak tied at the hip when it comes to comparisons, there would be no "rushing" to get the deal done at this point. Wentz also signed his deal 3 weeks ago as well.

I think the two sides are pretty far apart in terms of what Dak's real value is.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I don't think that really applies here though. With Wentz's deal and both he and Dak tied at the hip when it comes to comparisons, there would be no "rushing" to get the deal done at this point. Wentz also signed his deal 3 weeks ago as well.

I think the two sides are pretty far apart in terms of what Dak's real value is.
Wish I knew what exactly how far. Certainly we didn’t offer 25 and they demand 34. They meet in the middle at 30 or 31 and he keeps playing well and in 2 years it’s a deal.

Qcard

Reaction score
Folks... The deal was done about a month ago 5yrs 150 Million

They are just waiting for post training camp press conference

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
well 107 G is pretty good, no way dak is being offered that much G

I think Dak could get something like that in Dallas. I mean, if we looked at a deal for 5 years with a 6th year option, at something in the area of 25/26 annually, I think he could easily see that kind of guaranteed money, possibly more.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Depends on what you mean by "pretty far apart", with the top salary being $35 million, even if the Cowboys are offering $30 million a year, that only puts Wilson at 16% better than Dak.
To me that's not "pretty far apart". Pretty far apart to me would be lke Jerry offering $25 mil and Dak asking for $35 mil, which is a 40% spread..

And with Cousins at $28 mil and Stafford at $27 mil, I can hardly see the Cowboys thinking Dak would take less than $30 mil, that imho would be viewed as an insult by Dak and/or his agent.

Just my view...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "pretty far apart", with the top salary being $35 million, even if the Cowboys are offering $30 million a year, that only puts Wilson at 16% better than Dak.
To me that's not "pretty far apart". Pretty far apart to me would be lke Jerry offering $25 mil and Dak asking for $35 mil, which is a 40% spread..

And with Cousins at $28 mil and Stafford at $27 mil, I can hardly see the Cowboys thinking Dak would take less than $30 mil, that imho would be viewed as an insult by Dak and/or his agent.

Just my view...

I don't know LA. I mean, if you look at Cousins deal and Staffords deal, 25 may not be that far off. I mean, Cousins deal is really only a 3 year deal. He's only guaranteed somthing like 84 Mil. Staffords deal was a 5 year deal with 92 guaranteed so really, that's probably more in line with what Dak can expect from Dallas, perhaps a little more guaranteed money. I think that if Dallas comes up with more guaranteed money, an offer of 25 annually is very fair indeed. Would you take less per year, say 25, if you know you were going to get another 15 mil guaranteed? I would.

Sydla

Reaction score

Just my view...

I think they are far apart. It would stand to reason given that the Cowboys and Dak have been having discussions for months now, that once Wentz signed and set a bar, it would be easy to then cobble together a deal. But they haven't.

My suspicion is Dak and his people think Wentz sets the market for him whereas the Cowboys don't think he's worth as much as Wentz (and I suspect the general feeling in the league would be Wentz should be paid more than Dak).

Birdgang

Reaction score

Just my view...

Contracts are more then just xxx dollar amount a year. They may be far apart in the language of the contract. You would think Dallas better be more careful after eating so much dead cap past few seasons.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I think they are far apart. It would stand to reason given that the Cowboys and Dak have been having discussions for months now, that once Wentz signed and set a bar, it would be easy to then cobble together a deal. But they haven't.

My suspicion is Dak and his people think Wentz sets the market for him whereas the Cowboys don't think he's worth as much as Wentz (and I suspect the general feeling in the league would be Wentz should be paid more than Dak).

Sad to say, we may never know, whatever the final amount is, unless someone privy to the negotiations and leaks info.

Like I said, I'll just be glad when it's over...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Contracts are more then just xxx dollar amount a year. They may be far apart in the language of the contract. You would think Dallas better be more careful after eating so much dead cap past few seasons.

And I think they are, whatever Jerry is, he isn't stupid when it comes to money...

TD21

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys knew this was coming.

When they finally approached Dak Prescott to broach the topic of his seemingly inevitable contract extension, they did so with an initial offer in hand. While it's unknown what their first offer was, what's known is that it was met with a counteroffer from Prescott and CAA, his representation. That counteroffer was made in late May, nearly a month after Russell Wilson became the highest-paid player in NFL history with a four-year, $140 million extension from the Seattle Seahawks that includes $107 million guaranteed money.

It, however, also happened around three weeks prior to the Philadelphia Eagles giving Carson Wentz a four-year, $128 million extension that itself includes $107 million in guarantees. It was a foregone conclusion Prescott wouldn't best Wilson's figures, which made that the ceiling — but Wentz just set a floor that carries a $32 million annual average salary (AAS) over the course of his true extension.

With that in tow, Prescott and CAA have reportedly lobbed an offer to the Cowboys that would put the former Rookie of the Year at an AAS of $34 million, according to Clarence Hill, Jr. of Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Of course, this is all a part of the negotiation process, wherein the club goes low and the player goes high, with the ultimate goal of both sides eventually meeting in the middle. The reality remains Prescott will likely land a deal worth more than $30 million per year, and even that's a tough sell now, thanks to Wentz.

By Patrik Walker
https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Article/Cowboys-Dak-Prescott-counteroffer-higher-than-Carson-Wentz-deal-132849152/?utm_source=247Sports Newsletter&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=190613_183642_Dallas Cowboys&utm_content=Link&liveconnect=CA-89-18-08-4C-B7-7F-4E-28-9D-98-DD-5E-CE-44-EC190613_183642DallasCowboys

I’m as big a Dak fan as anyone however, I hope they can wait out the season. I would like to see a lot better decisions throughout the game so he doesn’t have to force things in the fourth quarter. And I would like to see how the transition facilitates itself with Kitna and Moore. I want Dak to get his due but after watching a highlight reel put together by Kurt Warner (I know, I know) he did make a valid point in the number of plays that Dak missed that he said elite QB’s can’t afford to miss. I’m anxious to see his development this year parlay into the player I think he is. Pulling for Dak!

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

They haven't been discussing for months.

Dak was given his first offer on May 8th
Dak's agent gave first counter offer on May 22nd

Sydla

Reaction score
They haven't been discussing for months.

Dak was given his first offer on May 8th
Dak's agent gave first counter offer on May 22nd

And then Wentz signed and Dak's people apparently threw back another offer based on what Wentz got. So they have essentially been negotiating for roughly two months that we know about. They likely had broached this topic long before May 8th. Jerry was talking about a long term deal for Dak back in March or so, so I am sure both parties had initiated conversations further back than May 8th.

And all that being said, Wilson signed his deal, which as noted in this thread, probably set the high bar for Dak. Then Wentz signed three weeks ago. So for all intents and purposes, the parameters for what Dak should get (at least according to the Dak supporters here) is largely set. And yet nothing.

Again, I suspect that the Cowboys aren't willing to pay him more than Wentz at this point, which I am sure hurts your heart.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

You’d be thinking wrong. It’s just a matter of time. Can’t wait when it happens and see your overreactions.