Report: Jenkins won't be at OTA's & wants trade

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
a_minimalist;4567858 said:
I'd make his *** sit the whole season. Then let him go via free agency. There's no room for people like him on a football team.

Can he be placed on the practice squad for a year?

Practice squad players can be grabbed at any time by other teams.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;4568444 said:
Yep.

Also in one of the best "Twilight Zone" episodes with Lee Marvin and Lee Van Cleef.
Lee Van Cleef is one of my favorite character actors in the spaghetti westerns

Bluestang

Reaction score
Risen Star;4568242 said:
Felix Jones
Mike Jenkins
Martellus Bennett
Tashard Choice
Orlando Scandrick
Erik Walden

That 2008 class that included an extra 1st round pick isn't looking too hot right now, eh?

Just look at the 2006 draft class, it's not much but we got better production out of this class than in 2006 with Parcells at the controls.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
TheSport78;4567889 said:
I honestly can't blame him for wanting to be traded. Think of it from his perspective. He had a pretty good season in 2011. He has been a starter here since 2009.

If you were in a contract year, and you had Claiborne AND Carr in front of you, would you want to stay on the Cowboys? He won't get as many opportunities in a year where he's due to make the biggest contract of his entire career. I can't blame him for that.

I like Jenkins, but he has no one to blame but himself. After a very good 2009 season, he was probably the worst CB I've ever seen in 2010 (and his comments about not having to work as hard will always be remembered by fans). Constant PI calls, and getting beat like a drum day in and day out for 16 weeks was truly an eye sore.

Yes he followed 2010 up with a good 2011 season, one where he played hurt, but he has already shown how he handles success and the team would be making a mistake signing him long term.

Bluestang

Reaction score
Jenkins is proving to Garrett was kind of football player he is when faced with adversity. If Jenkins wants to sulk, cry, asked to be traded, or whatever than that is his right. Jenkins wanted to prove himself last season by playing through injury and he did fairly well to make fans forget about his ole's in his rookie year and in 2010. Rob Ryan was asked specifically before the last season about having corners on his defense that were willing to tackle. Guess what he said? Everyone on his defense will tackle. Jenkins proved alot of people wrong last season but with his latest antics he's starting to undo everything he set out to prove those critics wrong about. If anything those critics are going to right in the long run if he continues to alienate himself from the team.

Look at Spencer, he chose to come to the OTAs because he wanted to work out with his teammates and be a part of the team. He could have very well chose not to but to him it was about the team first. When interviewed by Josh Ellis he said that he wanted to be in working out with his team mates.

Jenkins on the other hand is choosing the quitter's way out and to me there is no place for that on this team. Everyone remembers his comments after he made the Pro Bowl right? Hands down Jenkins is our best corner but this whining and pouting is showing his true colors to the staff and fans. Whatever Jenkins thinks he is doing he's just making it that much easier for Mo Caliborne to take his spot.

I guess Jenkins is living up to his draft report.

birdwells1

Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4568380 said:
It depends on whether the guaranteed part of the contract has been fulfilled..if not yes he will still get paid until that has been satisfied

There's no guaranteed contracts in the NFL, the only thing that's guaranteed is the signing bonus. Lets say a player signs a 6 yr 50 million dollar contract with a 15 million dollar signing bonus, if he really suck in his third year the team may cut him in the offseason. Contracts are usually back loaded, for instance this 6 years could be structured like this, year 1-4 mill, 2-4mil, 3-5 mil, 4-15mil, 5-15 mil, and 6- 7 mil. So in real world contracts the team would owe him 37 million because they broke the contract not the player but it doesn't work like that, the team owes him nothing. That's the reason why players hold out because the contracts sound good but you can be cut at anytime and you pay will most likely stop.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
birdwells1;4568523 said:
There's no guaranteed contracts in the NFL, the only thing that's guaranteed is the signing bonus. Lets say a player signs a 6 yr 50 million dollar contract with a 15 million dollar signing bonus, if he really suck in his third year the team may cut him in the offseason. Contracts are usually back loaded, for instance this 6 years could be structured like this, year 1-4 mill, 2-4mil, 3-5 mil, 4-15mil, 5-15 mil, and 6- 7 mil. So in real world contracts the team would owe him 37 million because they broke the contract not the player but it doesn't work like that, the team owes him nothing. That's the reason why players hold out because the contracts sound good but you can be cut at anytime and you pay will most likely stop.
Totally wrong here...good example is the 100M vick contract he signed, 45M was guaranteed, so I don't know what the front is loaded like but say it was 20m per year and they decided to cut him after year two, if the full 45M hasn't been paid to him, the eagles will still owe him 5M

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboy_ron;4568539 said:
Totally wrong here...good example is the 100M vick contract he signed, 45M was guaranteed, so I don't know what the front is loaded like but say it was 20m per year and they decided to cut him after year two, if the full 45M hasn't been paid to him, the eagles will still owe him 5M

Or just Ron Leary's contract just signed. Over $200,000 was guaranteed. That wasn't all signing bonus.

There are no fully guaranteed contracts in the NFL but there can be guaranteed money within those contracts outside of the signing bonus.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Risen Star;4568541 said:
Or just Ron Leary's contract just signed. Over $200,000 was guaranteed. That wasn't all signing bonus.

There are no fully guaranteed contracts in the NFL but there can be guaranteed money within those contracts outside of the signing bonus.
correct..not sure what his signing bonus was, but if he was cut today we're still on the hook for the rest of the 200K that was guaranteed

birdwells1

Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4568544 said:
correct..not sure what his signing bonus was, but if he was cut today we're still on the hook for the rest of the 200K that was guaranteed

I stand corrected, I guess the point I should have tried to make is that the NFL contract is not like MLB of NBA. Those contract are fully guaranteed, if a guy signs for 50 million that's what he's owed whether you cut him or not.

lunk

Reaction score
TheSport78;4567889 said:
I honestly can't blame him for wanting to be traded. Think of it from his perspective. He had a pretty good season in 2011. He has been a starter here since 2009.

If you were in a contract year, and you had Claiborne AND Carr in front of you, would you want to stay on the Cowboys? He won't get as many opportunities in a year where he's due to make the biggest contract of his entire career. I can't blame him for that.

I guess that's where you and I would disagree . In a Contract year I think he should want Carr and Clay in front of him . That way he could walk out on the field and show them that if they want his position, their gonna have to take it ... he shouldn't give'm a dam thing .

It could be one of the greatest opportunities in his life to prove himself as a man and athlete.

I know he played through injury last year , and maybe he's being dealt a s#@! hand .. But If he wants anything out of this league hes gonna have to have the balls to go get it .

Aven8

Reaction score
Risen Star;4568397 said:
I don't think it's a lack of confidence. He just doesn't lack a brain. You don't package 1st and 2nd round picks to move up to the 6th overall pick to draft a cornerback who won't start for you this year. Just like you don't sign a cornerback in FA for 50 million dollars so he can backup a current starter.

The talk of competition sounds nice but the reality is our starting CB spots were set on 4/26/12. That only changes by injury.

Oh yes. I forgot. We still play the highest "paid" players. I thought that was suppose to change. :D

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
birdwells1;4568547 said:
I stand corrected, I guess the point I should have tried to make is that the NFL contract is not like MLB of NBA. Those contract are fully guaranteed, if a guy signs for 50 million that's what he's owed whether you cut him or not.
Yea, I'm not sure in BB, you may be right..in that case I bet the Angels are really loving Pujols hitting .211 with 1 or 2 HR's after signing a 260M contract

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
lunk;4568549 said:
I guess that's where you and I would disagree . In a Contract year I think he should want Carr and Clay in front of him . That way he could walk out on the field and show them that if they want his position, their gonna have to take it ... he shouldn't give'm a dam thing .

It could be one of the greatest opportunities in his life to prove himself as a man and athlete.

I know he played through injury last year , and maybe he's being dealt a s#@! hand .. But If he wants anything out of this league hes gonna have to have the balls to go get it .

Claiborne = #6 overall pick = starter

Carr = $50 million = starter

Jenkins doesn't have a snowball's chance to start.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
birdwells1;4568547 said:

Yep. That's a huge difference with the NFL and one of the big gripes of the NFLPA. The only security the player really has is usually just the upfront money.