Report: Jenkins won't be at OTA's & wants trade

Bluestang

Reaction score
TheSport78;4568579 said:
Claiborne = #6 overall pick = starter

Carr = $50 million = starter

Jenkins doesn't have a snowball's chance to start.

Somebody needs to tell Marcus Spears that he needs to be starting if we are going to give out starting positions by money.

This isn't a Wade Phillips team anymore.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand his mentality. Assuming the secondary lives up to its potential, wouldn't you want to play as best as you can and possibly win a SB? If the team and you play well and are successful at that goal, wouldn't that just increase your value as a free agent so you can get that big contract? I don't get it.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Bluestang;4568611 said:
Somebody needs to tell Marcus Spears that he needs to be starting if we are going to give out starting positions by money.

This isn't a Wade Phillips team anymore.

Dude, $50 million dollars.

Plus, with defensive lines there are ROTATIONS. Corners get paid premium money because you need guys who can cover. Plus, the Cowboys overpaid for an average player in Spears.

Bluestang

Reaction score
TheSport78;4568613 said:
Dude, $50 million dollars.

Plus, with defensive lines there are ROTATIONS. Corners get paid premium money because you need guys who can cover. Plus, the Cowboys overpaid for an average player in Spears.

We also had a ROTATION at CB last season too because of injuries.

I can see Carr being penciled in as a starter more than Claiborne because rookie DBs tend to struggle early but Jenkins not even putting up a fight and choosing to be a quitter is utterly stupid on his part.

The Cowboys are holding Claiborne out of OTAs anyways, so if Jenkins was ready to go by training camp (which seems to be stretch) he could fight for his job.

TheSport78

Reaction score
Bluestang;4568622 said:
We also had a ROTATION at CB last season too because of injuries.

I can see Carr being penciled in as a starter more than Claiborne because rookie DBs tend to struggle early but Jenkins not even putting up a fight and choosing to be a quitter is utterly stupid on his part.

The Cowboys are holding Claiborne out of OTAs anyways, so if Jenkins was ready to go by training camp (which seems to be stretch) he could fight for his job.

A rotation at CB not by choice. The Spears comparison really doesn't hold well with the CB situation IMO.

Claiborne is going to start from day 1, just like Tyron Smith did last year. Jenkins sees the writing on the wall in a contract year. He won't get serious playing time. Claiborne was durable in college, and Carr hasn't missed a game in the NFL.

Frozen700

Reaction score
TheSport78;4567849 said:
And some of you guys wanted to sign this guy long term? Pssh. Unless we get a 3rd round pick, a solid center or even a tight end, I say keep him and let him pout.

Hmm keep a guy, who does not want to be here....Wont have his head in the game....and likely won't play hard....lol

Na trade him

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
for those in search of the definition of leadership, Mike Jenkins has just become the antonym.

Bluestang

Reaction score
TheSport78;4568631 said:
A rotation at CB not by choice. The Spears comparison really doesn't hold well with the CB situation IMO.

Claiborne is going to start from day 1, just like Tyron Smith did last year. Jenkins sees the writing on the wall in a contract year. He won't get serious playing time. Claiborne was durable in college, and Carr hasn't missed a game in the NFL.

You don't listen to Garrett about competition. Tyron earned his position, he played all the preseason games that starters normally sit out. Tell me who was on the roster that could beat him out?

I will go on record and say that Jenkins won't get a 50 mil contract unless he shows that he can play at his 2009 level this year. His current body of work doesn't warrant that type of money. I commend Jenkins for gutting it out last year but his attitude is nonsense. If that's all it takes for him to just throw in the towel because we drafted a corner then I'd like to personally show him the door.

And this comes from a big fan of Jenkins since he's been with us.

Frozen700

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4567950 said:
What do voluntary mean?

Actually, I don't think I called anyone meanies. But if you feel like one, then that's on you. Just said, this is a pretty typical reaction from fans.

This is business and like Dooms, I feel if Mike isn't traded, then he needs to show up for training camp.

I'm pretty consistent in how I feel about OTAs. I'm happy if they attend, but I'm not going to bash the player if he doesn't.

:rolleyes:

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
The Cowboys organization hold all the cards in the Jenkins 'situation'... and Jenkins must realize this.

He will piss and moan this season - but he better perform when called upon if his goal is to end up in a better situation with another team and a fat contract.

TheSport78

Reaction score
Bluestang;4568681 said:
You don't listen to Garrett about competition. Tyron earned his position, he played all the preseason games that starters normally sit out. Tell me who was on the roster that could beat him out?

I will go on record and say that Jenkins won't get a 50 mil contract unless he shows that he can play at his 2009 level this year. His current body of work doesn't warrant that type of money. I commend Jenkins for gutting it out last year but his attitude is nonsense. If that's all it takes for him to just throw in the towel because we drafted a corner then I'd like to personally show him the door.

And this comes from a big fan of Jenkins since he's been with us.

So did Tyron actually earn the position, or there wasn't anyone on the roster who could beat him out? Which was it?

If Jenkins plays like he did last year, whether it's with Dallas or another team, he will get a similar deal to what Carr received.

Bluestang

Reaction score
TheSport78;4568708 said:
So did Tyron actually earn the position, or there wasn't anyone on the roster who could beat him out? Which was it?

If Jenkins plays like he did last year, whether it's with Dallas or another team, he will get a similar deal to what Carr received.

I believe he earned the position. In training camp video interviews from last season you can see Tyron and Hudson Houck practicing on his footwork and technique after the practices. He put in the extra time and effort and earned the position.

Mike Jenkins had only 373 snaps in coverage last season whereas Orlando Scandrick had 370 snaps and he was injury free. Jenkins gave up 4 TDs while Scandrick gave up 2 TDs and they both had one interception a piece. Like I said Jenkins body of work is incomplete and I stand by my statement.

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
Avenger;4567846 said:
I knew Jenkins was too cowardly to compete.

I thought that was already established. He's made several "business" decisions in his short career.

If you're going to be making the business decisions that Jenkins has made you better be locking people down like Revis, and Jenkins certainly hasn't done that.

I want players who are all in.

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
Frozen700;4568661 said:
Hmm keep a guy, who does not want to be here....Wont have his head in the game....and likely won't play hard....lol

Na trade him

I have a different opinion on this.

Jenkins won't benefit from pouting and giving a full effort. He has a checkered history in this league, so he can't afford to mail in the 2012 season and expect to receive a nice size contract.

If he's smart he'll bust his *** in 2012 to improve his market value for 2013.

Randy White

Reaction score
Cowboy_Shawn;4568746 said:
If he's smart he'll bust his *** in 2012 to improve his market value for 2013.

THIS...

His agent probably already told him to never get mad at his money, which is what he's doing indirectly. He thinks this is a way of telegraphing the team his contract wishes, but the burden is on him and not on the Cowboys.

He wants to hold all the cards ? Report to the team, rehab with the trainers, get into training camp in the best shape possible, make Claiborne into the 3rd corner by outperforming him OR become the best 3rd corner in the league, and at the end of the year, it would be him forcing the Cowboys to either franchise him ( almost no chance ), give him a long term contract ( even less likely ), or letting him go.

By the way, even if he's traded, no team is going to give him a long term contract anytime soon anyways.

Cowboy_Shawn

Reaction score
Randy White;4568750 said:
By the way, even if he's traded, no team is going to give him a long term contract anytime soon anyways.

I agree. His health is a big question and he has failed to show consistency from year to year.

But you never know. There are some dumb teams out there who have a history of handing out bad contracts.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4568294 said:
Garrett has defined it many times
Yep, and then he clearly drafted for it. He wants hard working guys who love football with leadership skills.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Frozen700;4568661 said:
Na trade him

He's costing himself money if he does that. He can't go out there and loaf around in a contract year and expect to get the type of money he wants.

Cowboys have all the leverage. Don't give Jenkins what he wants. Do what is best for the team.