Report: Jenkins won't be at OTA's & wants trade

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
TheSport78;4567856 said:
What's the value in cutting him though? The Cowboys hold all of the cards in the situation.
Addition by subtraction

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Jenkins best move is to play this year as hard as he can and shoot for Carr and Finnegan money next off season. I personally don't care if we trade him for Draft picks or get a Compensatory Pick for him. I like the kid but I do not appreciate emulating the French and waving the white flag.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;4567860 said:
Mentally weak. Get him out of here.

He has no trade value and cutting him serves no purpose. In fact, cutting him will cause us to lose a nice compensatory pick headed our way when he signs elsewhere next year.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4567868 said:
Addition by subtraction

If we cut him, I'm pretty sure in the future we can't get any compensation for him via compensatory draft picks. We might as well keep him.

I would wait for him to get healthy with the shoulder injury, then re-evaluate his trade value.

kmd24

Reaction score
Risen Star;4567836 said:
Awesome. We're already reaping the rewards of the Claiborne trade up.

I wouldn't have considered getting a guy to show his true colors as a benefit of acquiring Claiborne, but I guess you're right. If Mario Butler is truly starting to come on, it would suck to cut him in favor of a malcontent.

The trade looks better every day. Thanks for offering an unusual perspective, RS.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At this point, he couldn't participate if he wanted to, because he's still rehabbing his shoulder.

But I see now that Jenkins is this year's Zone enemy.

When business interferes with an individuals fandom, the fan turns on the player.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I'm loving this.. even some of the homers are glad to get rid of a mentally weak player. They typically wait until after it looks really bad and they have a strong feeling that player is going to leave before saying bad things about said player.
You wouldn't hear a peep out of them before it looks bad though, in fact, they would typically defend said player to death.

I've been talking trash about Jenkins for years now. He is a mentally weak player who shows flashes of solid play here and there... that is it. Always getting hurt too. Get him out of here!

a_minimalist

Reaction score
Does anyone know what round pick we would get for Jenkins next year, as far as a compensatory pick is concerned?

If it is a 3rd or 4th, does that make it worth the 1.08 million he is worth? Is that what signing a 3rd or 4th goes for?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Idgit;4567854 said:
Idiot. Not showing up for my OTAs isn't going to get me working on trade options any harder, I can tell you that.

If I were a trade partner, not being a team player while under contract isn't something that's going to get me to pay a premium.

That said, this will be a non-issue by the time the games start. Jenkins has 0 leverage here.

Well said.

Sit at home and pout. You have zero leverage and this doesn't help your case for a new deal in any way.

You have one option.

Show up, play out your deal, and have a career season doing it.

And I would handle it the way Garrett and the team have so far. Non-issue and not a blip on the radar.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Hostile;4567870 said:
Jenkins best move is to play this year as hard as he can and shoot for Carr and Finnegan money next off season. I personally don't care if we trade him for Draft picks or get a Compensatory Pick for him. I like the kid but I do not appreciate emulating the French and waving the white flag.

I honestly can't blame him for wanting to be traded. Think of it from his perspective. He had a pretty good season in 2011. He has been a starter here since 2009.

If you were in a contract year, and you had Claiborne AND Carr in front of you, would you want to stay on the Cowboys? He won't get as many opportunities in a year where he's due to make the biggest contract of his entire career. I can't blame him for that.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;4567883 said:
At this point, he couldn't participate if he wanted to, because he's still rehabbing his shoulder.

When business interferes with an individuals fandom, the fan turns on the player.

He wants out of Dallas. So he sucks, he's weak, locker room cancer, addition by subtraction, etc.

He's perfectly justified to feel that way, IMO. He's a quality starter in the league and he just watched his team waste 50 million and 1st and 2nd round picks on new players at his position. Who wouldn't want to leave in his position?

Bigdog

Reaction score
cowboy_ron;4567847 said:
There won't be a long line wanting to sign a pouting, CB with a bum shoulder that won't rehab and showing he's not a team player

who also makes business decisions on tackling.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4567853 said:
I like jenkins but not thrilled about a player not willing to accept competition. We moverd up and got the best defensive player in the draft by many accounts if that makes you upset so be it.
This. Guy has always been soft. This reaffirms it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dexternjack;4567864 said:
The only value is that they will not want his negativity spreading throughout the locker room.

I agree, he has no leverage here. Coming off a serious injury, bad attitude, no one will make a trade for him ATM.

There won't be any.

Every player on this team can see what Jenkins is out for - Jenkins.

Nobody is going to ruin their own chances by signing up for that.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
TheSport78;4567876 said:
If we cut him, I'm pretty sure in the future we can't get any compensation for him via compensatory draft picks. We might as well keep him.

I would wait for him to get healthy with the shoulder injury, then re-evaluate his trade value.
That's true we can't, but you can't have him infecting the young guys either because he isn't happy...the way he's trying to play it now is he's only hurting his own value..not many teams want to trade for players that show they aren't team players...he's getting bad advice from his agent....if he doesn't show up when it's mandatory, place him on the voluntary retired list and let him stew on that for a year.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
So Mike, you are upset that we went out and got the best defensive player in the draft. So why not out play the rookie if you think you are all that?

Otherwise, get your tail in the gym, get back out on the field as quickly as possible and be ready to play when called upon. Then after the season you can push for a nice fat contract from some other team.

As it stands, you are worth nothing to anyone except as a backup. Trade you? Trade you to who and for what? What team is going to want you at this point?

Not the sharpest knife in the drawer is he. :rolleyes:

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Almost every player in similar a position in the past has done the same thing. It's doubtful he gets traded, certainly not right now. His best hope for a trade is too show he is healthy and play well, and hope that a team in need gets desperate enough to offer a pick in the 2nd or 3rd round. Otherwise wait out the year. Really nothing to get upset about, he's injured and looking at being the 4th CB on the field right now anyway.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;4567883 said:

I agree. Right now is not going to be able to participate anyways. I do think he is showing his unhappiness by not showing up at all if these accounts are true. If he does not get traded then I expect him to be in camp like all the other players who are under contract. After all he is under a contract.

I like the guy I hope he can get healthy and come in and perform to help this team. If in the end he goes to another team next year then he does himself a greater service by playing well this year.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;4567883 said:

Seriously?

Yeah, boo-hoo for Jenkins and all of us 'meanies' wrongly beating up on him for not showing up for work.

:rolleyes:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheSport78;4567889 said:
I honestly can't blame him for wanting to be traded. Think of it from his perspective. He had a pretty good season in 2011. He has been a starter here since 2009.

If you were in a contract year, and you had Claiborne AND Carr in front of you, would you want to stay on the Cowboys? He won't get as many opportunities in a year where he's due to make the biggest contract of his entire career. I can't blame him for that.

Exactly, and this is the time of year where maybe he can do something about it.

Missing games in September or even camp time in July? Shame on him. Missing voluntary OTAs in May considering his situation? I can't fault him at all. The team basically told him what they think of him and his future here over the offseason.