News: Report: Prescott has come down to 33-35ish in terms of annual value for upcoming contract

MikeB80

Reaction score
Embarrassing that the NFL has allowed QB contracts to get like this. A freakin' bus driver, a middling QB, can get elite QB money.

Eventually owners have to start understanding that giving QBs these big contracts hurt more than they help in the long term.

75 dollars to park is embarrassing, 7.50 soda's are embarrassing, 15 dollar hamburgers are embarrassing. PSL's are embarrassing.

The players deserve more money than they are currently getting.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Embarrassing that the NFL has allowed QB contracts to get like this. A freakin' bus driver, a middling QB, can get elite QB money.

Eventually owners have to start understanding that giving QBs these big contracts hurt more than they help in the long term.
I agree but owners and some fans are mainly crazy on this topic. Any other position people are always on their well we can replace them but when it comes to non elite qb's same people are like we have to keep the average QB. Why? Its hard to find elite QB talent but average QB talent that's not hard to do hence why its called average. I know some like to hype Dak up like he's some generational QB but he's just average so he can be replaced.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As everyone else has said, it’s likely the length of the contract that they haven’t figured out. Not the price. Everyone else is signing 6+ year deals, when the ideal situation would be anywhere from 3-4 years, so you can cash in on the next “all time high” deals. Dallas likely wants him on a 6+ year deal, while Dak and Co are probably trying for 4 years at most.

I think that's exactly the holdup.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As everyone else has said, it’s likely the length of the contract that they haven’t figured out. Not the price. Everyone else is signing 6+ year deals, when the ideal situation would be anywhere from 3-4 years, so you can cash in on the next “all time high” deals. Dallas likely wants him on a 6+ year deal, while Dak and Co are probably trying for 4 years at most.
It's probably more about the guaranteed portion of the money.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Team should've sign this man last year. It wasn't like we had many options. Next year the value will go up more. On top of that how you going ask Dak to take a team friendly deal when the team paid Zeke all that money :laugh:.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Team should've sign this man last year. It wasn't like we had many options. Next year the value will go up more. On top of that how you going ask Dak to take a team friendly deal when the team paid Zeke all that money :laugh:.

Then pay him $5M more per year than they paid Zeke so he won't feel unappreciated.

CWR

Reaction score
75 dollars to park is embarrassing, 7.50 soda's are embarrassing, 15 dollar hamburgers are embarrassing. PSL's are embarrassing.

The players deserve more money than they are currently getting.

If we want to talk about "fair" then the conversation should start with dropping prices. It is what it is, they supply a product that is in demand. Player salaries will continue to go up.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If you don't pay you end up recycling Case Keenum or Joe Flacco at age 35 or Ryan Tannehill. It's supply and demand - there aren't that many good QBs to go around. And even top draft picks are iffy. There are as many or more EJ Manuel', Paxton Lynch's and Josh Rosen's as there are Deshaun Watson's.

Silverz1972

Reaction score
Look, I like Dak, but I don’t see how you can justify that kind of money for a guy who can’t carry the team without a loaded roster. He still hasn’t proven that he’s anything more than an elite bus driver. He’ll put up All-Pro numbers when everything is going well, and when it’s not he’ll post a QB rating in the 70s and 80s.

Think you transitional tag him and see his real value in free agency. There might be some stupid team out there that offers him that type of money but we definitely don’t want to be that team.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
IMO I don't think enough people talk about the LENGTH of the contract.

Let's say for arguments sake, Dallas signed Dak to a 7 year, $280 million contract ($40 M Year). By the time the contract hits the end, Dak could be the 15th highest paid QB in the NFL, especially with another CBA coming up for negotiation soon.

Hey, I understand Dallas' position. More years = easier to manipulate for Cap Room, if needed.

I also understand Dak's position. In 6 years, the AAV for a Top QB could very well be $50 million+.

Impossible? Well 6 years ago, in April of 2013, Aaron Rodgers became the highest paid player in the NFL with a 5 year, $110 million ($22 AAY). So in 6 years, the highest paid went from $22 M to $35 M. So it is not inconceivable to see the highest paid player in the NFL going from $35+ to reaching or exceeding $50 AAV by 2025.

I don't blame either side nor am I mad at either side.

Both are doing what they think is best for them. And if for whatever reason it does not work out well for the Cowboys and/or Dak, then they also have no one else to blame then themselves. Because in the end BOTH SIDES will need to have agreed on a new contract or for both parties to seek opportunities elsewhere.

I don't know about anyone else, but I find it quite interesting.
:starspin:
Well stated. When Mahomes does his next contract, he will very likely easily exceed $40M/yr...perhaps even $45M. Bottom line, as you clearly stated, is that prices are going up, not down/stagnant.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I'm playing the odds here. We can draft a QB and spend the cap space in a lot of other areas.
I know. There's more than one way to skin a cat. I'm playing the odds too. Sign him or dump him, we're probably not winning squat either way. But, we'll have a new QB to hate on if we let him go. :thumbup:

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Will likely be more money than Aaron Rodgers. Just laughable. And I like Dak.
You're forgetting the time value of money...$22M ain't what it used to be. How much would Rodgers get today, if in his prime?

VACowboy

Reaction score
Could be, but I'm more in the "length of contract" camp as being the main holdup.
Probably, but I think Prescott and Cooper both have a lot to gain by going into the offseason without contracts. As FA's they'd have the team over a barrel. It's a big risk on the part of the Joneses and I don't understand their nonchalance. Can't franchise them both.