News: Report: Prescott has come down to 33-35ish in terms of annual value for upcoming contract

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Probably, but I think Prescott and Cooper both have a lot to gain by going into the offseason without contracts. As FA's they'd have the team over a barrel. It's a big risk on the part of the Joneses and I don't understand their nonchalance. Can't franchise them both.
I agree on that. They can only franchise one of them (although, I think the transition tag is also available in the final year of the CBA). I firmly believe both will get done. JJ isn't letting Dak leave, and he gave up a 1st rounder for Cooper (and Cooper is well worth it), so he isn't letting either get out of Dallas. Your point of both getting into the offseason without a new deal is very valid, though, because that will give both quite a bit of leverage. On top of that, I just think the organization values both of them too much to let it drag on for too long. They will get deals, just a matter of when and for how much.

visionary

Reaction score
The 40m was debunked by multiple sources and the counter offer was 34m back in April. So he hasnt came down at all. This is our FO leaking the 40m to get the public on their side, then leaking that he has came down to 33-35m so it makes them look like they "won".

well, we already know this FO is stupid but trying to look like you ‘won’ after paying an average QB 34 mill/year would be a new low

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yeah,right,,,LMAO,,, Let's re-watch that SAINTS/JETS/PACKERS footballish performance he'd put forth once again, while this ongoing feasibility study is being conducted,in the ascertainment of quality value procurement, shallwe?

o_O

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
There hasn't been much talk about it this season, but Dak has really developed as a quarterback. Those random arm-punts we used to see 2 or 3 times every game have disappeared, the "blindly spin out left and chuck it" tic disappeared (or at least been better managed), he's better about not holding the ball and taking long sacks, and it hasn't come at any loss to his mobility or his playmaking bravado. He's still Dak, but better. After 3 years, his bad habits looked pretty much ingrained and we were talking about if we'd have to live with them or not. But the way he's removed them from his game in one offseason has been astounding.

About the only thing I can even knock him on at this point on is that his footwork from center is still bad. He may lack the raw talent to be a top flight quarterback like Mahomes or Rodgers, but it's not crazy to argue that he's a top 10 NFL QB right now.

Now the anti-Dakkers will eventually be back; this forum has an incredibly toxic habit where some fans literally start choosing players to root against in order to prove themselves right. Dak has done a lot to shut them up thus far, but they'll come around. After the NE game when Belichick zero-blitzes Dak to death, you'll hear "Dak isn't a franchise QB", and after we drop games to Minnesota and maybe Buffalo, you'll hear about how he isn't a "winner" even if he plays well. Doesn't matter. I've seen enough quality play and enough improvement from him at this point to be comfortable handing him the 4 year $130M-$140M contract he's probably wanting.

Last edited:

CPanther95

Reaction score
There hasn't been much talk about it this season, but Dak has really developed as a quarterback. Those random arm-punts we used to see 2 or 3 times every game have disappeared, the "blindly spin out left and chuck it" tic disappeared (or at least been better managed), he's better about not holding the ball and taking long sacks, and it hasn't come at any loss to his mobility or his playmaking bravado. He's still Dak, but better. After 3 years, his bad habits looked pretty much ingrained and we were talking about if we'd have to live with them or not. But the way he's removed them from his game in one offseason has been astounding.

About the only thing I can even knock him on at this point on is that his footwork from center is still bad. He may lack the raw talent to be a top flight quarterback like Mahomes or Rodgers, but it's not crazy to argue that he's a top 10 NFL QB right now.

Now the anti-Dakkers will eventually be back; this forum has an incredibly toxic habit where some fans literally start choosing players to root against in order to prove themselves right. Dak has done a lot to shut them up thus far, but they'll come around. After the NE game when Belichick zero-blitzes Dak to death, you'll hear "Dak isn't a franchise QB", and after we drop games to Minnesota and maybe Buffalo, you'll hear about how he isn't a "winner" even if he plays well. Doesn't matter. I've seen enough quality play and enough improvement from him at this point to be comfortable handing him the 4 year $130M-$140M contract he's probably wanting.

I think if it was only 4 years, Jerry would probably have signed him already.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Love Dak. I think he's great. But 40 million is a big, big stretch. Dak your getting a ton of endorsements. Give Dallas a break and sign for 30 million. 30 million is still a lot of money. Asking for 40 million is just plain greedy.

Dallas already got their break for going on 4 years now. Now it is time to pay up.

For a 4 year contract, Lower than Wilson, higher than Wentz. 33,34. Probably 105-110 guaranteed.

I'm guessing they're trying to do longer than 4, making the comparables more difficult.

The Cowboys really do have a point that Dak benefits enormously *financially* by being a Cowboy. Probably no team brings the marketing opportunities that the Cowboys do. For the vast majority, it's probably a huge gulf.

Wasn't Romo a Cowboy too? Why didn't that stop his record setting deal?

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
75 dollars to park is embarrassing, 7.50 soda's are embarrassing, 15 dollar hamburgers are embarrassing. PSL's are embarrassing.

The players deserve more money than they are currently getting.
I agree extremely agree with the parking 75 dollars is insane, 7.5 for soda is way too much, 15 dollars for hamburger i would have to disagree since there are ton of places that sell for that price. I dont know the price of water, but whatever it is i am sure it is robbery.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Wasn't Romo a Cowboy too? Why didn't that stop his record setting deal?

Tony had a record setting deal? I wouldn't have thought so. His contracts were 2007 and 2013. Not peak times for him to get a new contract. 2007 was too early, 2013 was too late.

Found an article at the time. Says Tony's deal beats Flacco's, which seems entirely appropriate. But I doubt that Flacco was #1 previously. What a travesty if he was.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-romo-signs-108m-contract-with-dallas-cowboys

CPanther95

Reaction score
Tell him if he doesn't sign by Week 10, the Cowboys are going to sign Chobani to be the Official yogurt of the Dallas Cowboys and Rowdy's halftime will be spent squatting and crapping out Chunky Soup cans on the middle of the Star.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

You didn't even mention the biggest improvements I see.

Decisiveness. Improved release, improving his accuracy.

Decides faster. He used to wait a beat or two to make sure the receiver was open. Now he "let's it rip."

Release is faster and more compact. He used to be muscling it overhand. Looked like a struggle. Now it's a quick, efficient, tight motion that without the struggle, leaves him with greater touch and accuracy.

The weaknesses he used to have with us could be seen in his scouting reports. When pass blocking goes south, you still see hints of them. I still think he has comfort issues in the pocket, where the defense surrounds him, as opposed to when he's rolling out, and all the defenders are in one direction. But the weaknesses are toning done, and by getting rid of the ball faster, he's going far to eliminating the conditions that evoke them.

I didn't think it was possible for a QB to improve that much in a single offseason. I was skeptical about resigning him. Now I'm on board.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
You didn't even mention the biggest improvements I see.

Decisiveness. Improved release, improving his accuracy.

Decides faster. He used to wait a beat or two to make sure the receiver was open. Now he "let's it rip."

Release is faster and more compact. He used to be muscling it overhand. Looked like a struggle. Now it's a quick, efficient, tight motion that without the struggle, leaves him with greater touch and accuracy.

The weaknesses he used to have with us could be seen in his scouting reports. When pass blocking goes south, you still see hints of them. I still think he has comfort issues in the pocket, where the defense surrounds him, as opposed to when he's rolling out, and all the defenders are in one direction. But the weaknesses are toning done, and by getting rid of the ball faster, he's going far to eliminating the conditions that evoke them.

I didn't think it was possible for a QB to improve that much in a single offseason. I was skeptical about resigning him. Now I'm on board.

Absolutely. I didn't want to mention it because tbh, I haven't been watching closely enough to see if it's true or not, but Dak got killed by zone defense in his first 3 years. He wanted to see his guy break open, and didn't want to throw to a spot or make a touch-pass to a hole in the zone. This year, I frankly haven't seen Dak struggle with any defense. He didn't do too well in the Saints game, but the Saints D is very good, and in the NYJ game he literally had 6 drops from his receivers.

Wood

Reaction score
At this stage, the Jones don't see Dak as 32mill + QB. Next 7 games are against teams who could make playoffs. Its year 4 for Dak so I think everyone will get their answers for better or for worse by end of that stretch.