News: Report: Prescott has come down to 33-35ish in terms of annual value for upcoming contract

mattjames2010

Reaction score
What makes most sense imo is to get Dak that long-term extension with a 3 year out, which is the most fiscally responsible thing to do. You take advantage of the O-line and offensive weapons, without having to reset and coddle a rookie QB. If Dak implodes, that means the team imploded and we will be in a situation to get a new QB within the 3 year out. I don't see that happening, but it is a possible scenario. Him continuing to improve is also a possible scenario in which you are convinced won't happen.

He's in year 4. He's still inconsistent. Dak isn't suddenly going to become a precision passer or someone who can elevate his game to the point he carries a team. There are no signs he can do this.

Already, once he lost a couple players, he reverted back to the Dak of old. That shows the players around him elevate him. That's not a franchise QB to me. That's not someone I am confident giving 30+ million a year to.

cowboygo

Reaction score
He's in year 4. He's still inconsistent. Dak isn't suddenly going to become a precision passer or someone who can elevate his game to the point he carries a team. There are no signs he can do this.

Already, once he lost a couple players, he reverted back to the Dak of old. That shows the players around him elevate him. That's not a franchise QB to me. That's not someone I am confident giving 30+ million a year to.
I like to compare him to Matt Ryan's career arc. I think we can both agree Ryan is a franchise quarterback. Ryan also improved with each passing year and took his game to another level with Julio Jones. I do believe we can expect that progression with Dak.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

A QB that carries the team is a myth.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Washington botched Cousins because they didn't want to sign him long term but didn't look for another QB while he was on the franchise tag. Had they used those two franchise tag years to bring in a QB other than Alex Smith they just might have turned out OK. Cousins hasn't shown he was worth a long term deal so Washington at least got that part right.

As far as Dak, Dallas wants to sign him to a long term deal so they will fight over money and length of contract until they agree.
Washington wanted to sign Cousins too at least at first and similar to Dak as of now they didn’t want to pay big money for his skillset.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I like to compare him to Matt Ryan's career arc. I think we can both agree Ryan is a franchise quarterback. Ryan also improved with each passing year and took his game to another level with Julio Jones. I do believe we can expect that progression with Dak.

Matt Ryan is much more pure passer - he's strictly a pocket guy. I don't have Ryan as elite, I have him in the Rivers' and Romo level of play. That's top 7-10 with a few years of playing at an elite level.

I have Prescott still as Alex Smith. If I had to compare him to another player that is on the field right now, it's Jacoby Brissett.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As everyone else has said, it’s likely the length of the contract that they haven’t figured out. Not the price. Everyone else is signing 6+ year deals, when the ideal situation would be anywhere from 3-4 years, so you can cash in on the next “all time high” deals. Dallas likely wants him on a 6+ year deal, while Dak and Co are probably trying for 4 years at most.

The only thing I'd like to remind him is about the endorsement potential as the QB for the Dallas Cowboys. That's another $10-20 mil a year and I believe that's more than if he was with another franchise. I really hope he ends up taking the $33 mil for six years to save some salary for his cast of characters who keep the Cowboys competitive.

cowboygo

Reaction score
Matt Ryan is much more pure passer - he's strictly a pocket guy. I don't have Ryan as elite, I have him in the Rivers' and Romo level of play. That's top 7-10 with a few years of playing at an elite level.

I have Prescott still as Alex Smith. If I had to compare him to another player that is on the field right now, it's Jacoby Brissett.
If I'm not mistaken, you have Dak as the Alex Smith that surfaced in Kansas City. It took him over 7 years to play at that level. Dak has been playing at Alex Smith's best play since his rookie year. When Dak becomes even more seasoned, its not inconceivable for him to play at a higher level.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score

What a bunch of nonsense.

Complete garbage post

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Why waste the energy .....he simply still stinks and is a glorified Tim Tebow!
Any worthy Defense and we're back to kicking Field Goals all game long...

mattjames2010

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, you have Dak as the Alex Smith that surfaced in Kansas City. It took him over 7 years to play at that level. Dak has been playing at Alex Smith's best play since his rookie year. When Dak becomes even more seasoned, its not inconceivable for him to play at a higher level.

He didn't surface in KC, he did with the 49ers.

Alex Smith was with a 49ers team in total shambles. He has spoke about this. No one has ever suggested that Smith came out firing - he was a guy who ended up needing a great coaching staff and a ton of talent around him to succeed.

He never became elite - in that way he underachieved with this draft position. But in terms of career, he was always a middling guy who wasn't too mistake prone. That's Dak.

starfan1

Reaction score
....yes, without a long term commitment.
well you can bet any long term commitment will come with an out in few years if they are skeptical at all.I don't believe they are. Not much different than franchising twice like they did Dlaw. My guess is with all the upcoming contracts somebody important will get the franchise tag but i dont believe it will be him.

I'd be ok with that but i doubt it happens that way. We are not going to be in position to go after a stud QB were too good we will finish 500 or better next few years and I am willing to bet they view our shortcoming more along the lines of
S
DT
OL (younger and healthier)
TE one that spreads the field and can block

then perhaps QB upgrade. If you really want t new QB though you can hope they implode this year in the second half and jerry cleans house and gets new coach. Perhaps new coach may want to go a different direction but that is a huge reach as well.

Jerry wants Dak and Jaylon as the face of the cowboys and he writes the checks. you are most likely stuck with Dak. Grab a brew and enjoy the ride

cowboygo

Reaction score
He didn't surface in KC, he did with the 49ers.

Alex Smith was with a 49ers team in total shambles. He has spoke about this. No one has ever suggested that Smith came out firing - he was a guy who ended up needing a great coaching staff and a ton of talent around him to succeed.

He never became elite - in that way he underachieved with this draft position. But in terms of career, he was always a middling guy who wasn't too mistake prone. That's Dak.
Okay, what year? When Harbaugh arrived? Thats Year 6 for Alex Smith..

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Why waste the energy .....he simply still stinks and is a glorified Tim Tebow!
Any worthy Defense and we're back to kicking Field Goals all game long...

What I want to happen and what will happen are totally different things. Sadly, Dak will get a long term deal and this forum will be arguing 4 years from now that "this season is the season Dak becomes Tom Brady"

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Okay, what year? When Harbaugh arrived? Thats Year 6 for Alex Smith..

And have you listened to the interview where Alex Smith talked about the previous coaching staff and what the team had to put up with? Dak has never had to deal with that. He stepped into the best situation a QB can step into. Ignoring this is simply bias, and you know that.

Dak had an O-line, decent receiving group, and a great RB and a mediocre coaching staff. Alex Smith was surrounded by absolute garbage and a garbage coaching staff.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
well you can bet any long term commitment will come with an out in few years if they are skeptical at all.I don't believe they are. Not much different than franchising twice like they did Dlaw. My guess is with all the upcoming contracts somebody important will get the franchise tag but i dont believe it will be him.

I'd be ok with that but i doubt it happens that way. We are not going to be in position to go after a stud QB were too good we will finish 500 or better next few years and I am willing to bet they view our shortcoming more along the lines of
S
DT
OL (younger and healthier)
TE one that spreads the field and can block

then perhaps QB upgrade. If you really want t new QB though you can hope they implode this year in the second half and jerry cleans house and gets new coach. Perhaps new coach may want to go a different direction but that is a huge reach as well.

Jerry wants Dak and Jaylon as the face of the cowboys and he writes the checks. you are most likely stuck with Dak. Grab a brew and enjoy the ride

I won't be enjoying it.

cowboygo

Reaction score
And have you listened to the interview where Alex Smith talked about the previous coaching staff and what the team had to put up with? Dak has never had to deal with that. He stepped into the best situation a QB can step into. Ignoring this is simply bias, and you know that.

Dak had an O-line, decent receiving group, and a great RB and a mediocre coaching staff. Alex Smith was surrounded by absolute garbage and a garbage coaching staff.
Sure, once Smith had a supporting cast he became a decent game-manager. He even improved from being a game-manager to a very good game manager with the Chiefs. That is progression. Dak started as a very good game manager. He is now letting the ball loose this year, something he hasn't done much in previous years. He is improving and progressing before our eyes.

If he balls out against the Giants on Monday it won't matter to you. If he balls out against the Vikings, you'll credit his supporting cast. But the guy is getting better, and putting us in a position to succeed.. more often than not.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I honestly think it's a waste of time for fans to argue among themselves over money matters that don't directly involve them. Money matters are, actually, private issues to be settled between those directly involved. Those outside of that scenario are just foolishly involving themselves, imho. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
I won't be enjoying it.

thats too bad even through the 25 years of futility since the late 90's. I enjoy dallas football. I even enjoyed football through the early Romo years. Now I might have had a casualty are 2 in terms of my pets. j/k. I dont have pets but I did throw a few things at a wall but I know how to repair walls. I just love dallas football but not so much that when things dont go my way i make myself miserable.

hope Dak turns into Rodgers for you so you can enjoy football again