Report: Witten won't rule out returning

cern

Reaction score
Ironic that as a player Witten was universally loved but looked down on as a broadcaster; meanwhile Romo was looked down on as a player but is adored as a broadcaster
Not really ironic. Both moved on to the same career paths. Tony excelled. Jason did not.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
If he comes back, he needs to go to a team like New Orleans, where he can just be a contributor to an already potent offense and maybe do like Ware and pick up a Super Bowl title to cap his career.
he'd replace the retiring Benjamin Watson more than flawlessly

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I could see him coming back as a TE coach, he knows how the position should be played.........he don't have the knack for the booth like Tony and Troy do......he's uncomfortable in the booth and it is obvious.....wearing suits that are like 2 sizes too small don't help either.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't see this covered in the current Witten thread on the front page. Either way sounds like he'd consider returning but are we a better team with or without him.

Jason Witten misses football, won’t rule out return

Originally posted on Sportsnaut | By Jesse Reed | Last updated 2/13/19
Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sportsutm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=NFLdraftmaverick
11957811.jpg

Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports
Jason Witten retired from his NFL career before the start of the 2018 season, and his send-off as a lifelong member of the Dallas Cowboys was legendary. Yet one year removed, he still feels the itch to play and won’t completely rule out a return.

Speaking to reporters at the Star in Frisco Monday for the second annual Jason Witten College Football Man of the Year award ceremony, he shared how much he misses the game.
Too many great athletes and great coaches don’t know when to let it go. Jason Witten had a great career...probably a HOF career. Knowing when the time has come is too often the only thing a lot of great players don’t do well.

Mr_437

Reaction score
It's officially Cowboys offseason!

Witt should probably do something with the organization, tbh.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
If he comes back, he needs to go to a team like New Orleans, where he can just be a contributor to an already potent offense and maybe do like Ware and pick up a Super Bowl title to cap his career.

i wish him well if he does

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
He was brilliant, but...
He got every once out of his skills already.
Plus a year slower.
So no.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
Loved watching Witten play but I think he walked away at the right time. For all of y’all bashing him in the booth y’all forget Aikman started in NFL Europe calling games not everyone is a natural and walks into it like Romo. I also think Booger disrupts the flow and I like Booger just don’t seem to fit. I remember the Goose being on with Moose and it wasn’t very good. Goose left and Moose became one of the best in my opinion.

Them

Reaction score
I could see him coming back as a TE coach, he knows how the position should be played.........he don't have the knack for the booth like Tony and Troy do......he's uncomfortable in the booth and it is obvious.....wearing suits that are like 2 sizes too small don't help either.

...yeah, he'd make a good TE coach...he doesn't need to play, he just wants to be closer to the game.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Theyll probably draft one but the odds of him being better than 3 out of the 4 we have now are slim.

Not necessarily so. There are always rookies at many positions who could easily be just as challenged to replace those we have in house. The 2019 draft bears an exceptional crop of TEs and DTs available who might easily become superior to what we now have in house. None of those that we have now are generally considered complete TEs. It's also possible that Swaim won't be retained, according to some reports.

The upcoming draft will have some good prospects available, like Irv Smith, Noah Fant, Kaden Smith, TJ Hockerson, Josh Oliver and Jace Sternberger who quickly come to mind, among others, as well. Like all rookies, it will take a certain amount of time for them to get familiar with the C'boys' schemes, whether the drafted positions involved pertains to the offense or the defense.

Last edited: