Report: Witten won't rule out returning

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Not that I want it because I don’t.

But I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Witten is the “upgrade” at tight end we get.

I prefer someone with big play ability.
I would take Witten in a heartbeat.

Could be a great mentor to Jarwin and Schultz, and solve our problem at TE for a season.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Not necessarily so. There are always rookies at many positions who could easily be just as challenged to replace those we have in house. The 2019 draft bears an exceptional crop of TEs and DTs available who might easily become superior to what we now have in house. None of those that we have now are generally considered complete TEs. It's also possible that Swaim won't be retained, according to some reports.

The upcoming draft will have some good prospects available, like Irv Smith, Noah Fant, Kaden Smith, TJ Hockerson, Josh Oliver and Jace Sternberger who quickly come to mind, among others, as well. Like all rookies, it will take a certain amount of time for them to get familiar with the C'boys' schemes, whether the drafted positions involved pertains to the offense or the defense.

At least all the top 5 tes will be gone by 58. A drafted te may be better in the future but unlikely year one. Plus Dallas likes familiarity over talent.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
One season would give him fresh legs. Cardio and weight loss would be his biggest concern and even that would be a minor concern.

I'm going by what another year as a commentator would likely do to his ability to return in 2020. He's currently slated to return to that vocation during the upcoming season as a commentator. He's not getting any younger and another year at the mike might easily put him out of the loop as a TE in terms of his physical conditioning. I think he could possibly return this year but even then, it might be anything but a cakewalk to get fully prepared.

Last edited:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
@Melonfeud gather the usual outcasts! Those who do not succumb to Jerry Spagnola.
That well-nourished Witten. Coming back. Is this a Fellini movie??
Laughable.
Let us, finally, and commas are wonderful to separate clause, say to all, we lucked our way to gold in key positions.
We are, lads 1 QB away from destiny. Fight on, insurgents!
We can't win without a Goff/Flacco/Brees.
Jerry, laddie, rock the world in a QB trade. Be creative!!!!
:lmao:,,,Ha& Har,,, also, for I deduce the mere rumblings of the winded sniff of the faintest of rumoured breeze carrying a single DNA sample of an incomplete strand of ,,,
The Vaunted #82's patented Stiff-Armed style of tight-end kill-dozer FOOTBALLISH tactics being once again unleashed upon the League be quivering yer' onboard queasy casing-liner,,,EH?o_O

:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
At least all the top 5 tes will be gone by 58. A drafted te may be better in the future but unlikely year one. Plus Dallas likes familiarity over talent.

There are likely more than 5 who could make this team, imho and there's even some doubt that 5 will be taken by pick #58. A few others I didn't mention earlier are Zack Gentry, Elkanah Dillon and Drew Sample. It takes time for any rookie to be fully prepared for the NFL . . . TE is no exception. If you're looking for instant gratification, don't hold your breath for a veteran free agent. Stephen is allergic to those who want more $$ than a rookie. He's already mentioned that drafting a rookie TE will be a priority.

Last edited:

Melonfeud

Reaction score
He is terrible at commentary, so I'm not surprised. I wonder how long ESPN keeps him around, even if he doesn't return to football.
Well, it's kinda obvious he's not the type of an: "ain't no Mike Ditka" in his post playing career,,,so,,, $100 bucks sez' the illustrious #82 will be girdled up in footballing fighting armour for some team in the XFL,,,( setting longstanding league wide records from the outset,,, because if that CAT wants to play some more FOOTBALL?, ain't Nobody beating him outta' his playing position,Also:starspin:)

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
:lmao:
I13eZPFD.jpg
The PillPillsbury Dough Boy in the making at the top right corner! :laugh::popcorn::flagwave::lmao:

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Come back? As what a G? Love Jason but his days in the booth are numbered and I can run as fast, I'm old. Try coaching H.S.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
There are likely more than 5 who could make this team, imho and there's even some doubt that 5 will be taken by pick #58. A few others I didn't mention earlier are Zack Gentry, Elkanah Dillon and Drew Sample. It takes time for any rookie to be fully prepared for the NFL . . . TE is no exception. If you're looking for instant gratification, don't hold your breath for a veteran free agent. Stephen is allergic to those who want more $$ than a rookie. He's already mentioned that drafting a rookie TE will be a priority.

I'm not expecting an upgrade at te or any position this offseason at all. (Except fred if he comes back) I know Dallas does nothing in fa.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Not that I want it because I don’t.

But I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if Witten is the “upgrade” at tight end we get.

I prefer someone with big play ability.

I can already hear Jerry trying to spin it “when you’ve got uh uh a chance to add uh a grade-A quality hall of fame player....you do it.”

Melonfeud

Reaction score
I can already hear Jerry trying to spin it “when you’ve got uh uh a chance to add uh a grade-A quality hall of fame player....you do it.”
It would obviously be AWESOME (IMO,:thumbup:as it's the ONLY ONE of viable worth,to begin with,BABY!)
If our Football DaD actually would happily slap those 'sound bite hounds' up side the head with that Factuality:starspin:

o_O:lmao:o_O

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
Jason has had a year off. His body probably feels pretty good and is telling him he can still go another year. Maybe the same for Demarcus Ware.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm not expecting an upgrade at te or any position this offseason at all. (Except fred if he comes back) I know Dallas does nothing in fa.

If there's any immediate upgrade to be had at all, it would most likely become an upgrade at midseason or later from the draft. As we all know, Stephen is adverse to paying $$$ for tier one vet free agents unless tier 2 and 3 are just targets for upgrades to the backup spots. I'm unsure if we'll ever see anything major being done to acquire tier one veteran FA talent, even if our cap money gets far more prosperous than it is at present.

I fear it might well prove impossible for this team to return to true Super Bowl contention without tier one veteran free agency being factored into our talent acquisition. I'd love to see it happen at some point in the future but for now, it's just a pipe dream. Jerry is allowing Stephen to take charge of the finances under the cap, even though he "has the last word in the team's decisions." Surely, he's quite content with it being that way, at least for now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Too slow for the NFL now. Don't be Antonio Gates, know when to hang it up and stay retired.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The helmet is going to mess up that toup, might screw it around at a 90 degree angle but then that might be an improvement. If he does come back, could we sign Booger McFarland at DT and not have to listen to him either?