Report: Witten won't rule out returning

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
Guy his age, out of the game for a year...he’d get hurt., look what happened to Dez after being out half a year and he’s much younger.

GenoT

Reaction score
As opposed to this past year when Dak just took the sack in such positions?
Re-signing a TE, who’s one year outta the game (and, if you believe the photos, well above his playing weight), isn’t gonna keep Dak from taking sacks.

A healthy O-line, along with Dak improving his pocket-awareness, might help keep the sacks down, but Witten’s return won’t.

sean10mm

Reaction score
Witten is cooked, but I'd accept almost anything to get him off MNF.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Yea, I thought he was fine. The problem was that the balance was off because they had 2 color guys, so someone had to babble after every play.
I'd kinda' put that together thru observation myself:thumbup:

SSoup

Reaction score
Unless the year off rejuvenated a tired, run-down body and he's magically able to play like he did 5+ years ago, Witten would only be useful as a bench player anymore, making as close to league minimum as you're allowed to pay such a veteran player.

I mean, let's be real. His yards per catch was getting bad. From 11 yards to 9-point-something to 8-point-something. His receiving yardage his last 5 years went from 800-something yards to 700-something to 600-something and finally to 500-something. That's trending in an ugly way.

With that steep decline, he was due to come back and give us 400-something yards and a low 8-point-something or even a 7-point-something yards per catch average. That's straight-up awful. Swaim was on pace to give us those same yards with an even better yards-per-catch while costing us a cap hit of only 700,000 this last season.

Witten cost us a cap hit of 12,000,000 his last year. Not sure what Witten's cap hit would be if he'd come back last year. Not sure what it would be if he came back next year, but it'd have to be at an amount comparable to what Swaim would cost, given that's how far Witten's game fell. Paying him more just to hang around when the on-field usefulness isn't there means he's just a mascot at that point. Or a coach. But you can hire him to do those jobs without putting him on the roster.

He just didn't have it anymore. Especially for the number of snaps and opportunities he was gobbling up. And especially for the cap hit.

conner01

Reaction score
As a player, a progress stopper. As a coach, invaluable.
That’s the only way I see him back in the NFL
He’s not coming back to play but I’m sure he knows his contract at his new job is in serious jeopardy because he’s just not good at it

conner01

Reaction score
He literally was embarrassing at times.
Me too
I was shocked at how bad he was and I really thought he would be good at it
I think he knows he has no future in the booth so it’s one of the Sunday morning shows or coaching

Rayman70

Reaction score
He literally was embarrassing at times.
yup...he was really underwhelming. I think it was awkward for him and it took him outside his wheel house. He's a football guy,not an announcer. Don't want him to come back unless its as an assistant TE coach.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Problem is he slow and not a down the field threat. I don't see the fit here.