Reporters kicked out of locker room?

Reaction score
I actually believe in sourcing and accurate information. None of which you have provided.
dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/1997/march/media-how-i-got-the-hook

DMagazine_load.gif

MEDIA HOW I GOT THE HOOK

HOW I GOT THE HOOK OR, WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A LOCAL SPORTSCASTER WRANGLES WITH A CERTAIN TEAM OWNER.

BY DALE HANSEN PUBLISHED IN D MAGAZINE MARCH 1997
SMS
MY PHONE RANG ONE THURSDAY MORNING IN EARLY December about 10 a.m. It was Bob Cooper, general manager at KVIL-FM. the station that had hired me to do color commentary for broadcast of the Dallas Cowboys games.

“Dale, are you sitting down?” Cooper asked.

Actually, I was still in bed. But I knew what was coming. “Go ahead,” I told Bob.

“I’m really sorry about this,” Cooper said, “but they want you off the air now.” He said Jerry Jones was very unhappy with all the controversy that was swarming around my association with the team and the fact that I would be quitting next year. “You’ve become the media moment,” Cooper said. “People in New York agree. You have to go.”

“OK, Bob,” I said, kind of flippantly. I’ve been fired before. This was not virgin territory. Cooper kept saying, “Dale, I ’m really sorry. Hopefully this thing will blow over and maybe in a couple of years, if you don’t bum any bridges here, then you can come back.”

“OK,” I said. “I understand, no problem.”

I felt…what? Disappointment, certainly. I had planned to announce during the final game of the regular season against the Washington Commanders at RFK that I was leaving the broadcast after the playoffs. I had told KVIL managers privately of my decision to quit, and they’d asked me to wait until then to make it public and I had agreed.

But I also felt relieved. The balancing act that I had maintained for more than 12 years-as the sports anchor for WFAA-TV Channel 8, the Cowboys’ radio analyst for KVIL and talk-show host for KLIF-AM-was finally over.

Though I’ve argued with sportswriters Randy Galloway and Skip Bayless for years that I could wear these different hats with out creating a conflict of interest, now I’m beginning to wonder if it’s possible to do so without creating confusion in the minds of both the team and the audience. I had worn these different hats successfully for years, most recently with the KLIF talk show. I could express opinions there I couldn’t-and wouldn’t- express as the team’s commentator or when reporting the news. Doing the talk show on KLIF gives me the freedom to express even more opintons that may have angered Jones and Switzer or whomever even more.

Still, looking back, I absolutely believe that the continuing deterioration of my relationship with Jones was directly attributable to coach Barry Switzer. Jones has always been able to deal with what I say. but I think he found himself in a defensive posture, trying to prop up Switzer. If it’s a choice between Dale Hansen and the head coach, I think that’s an easy choice to make.

My association with the team began in 1984. when the games were broadcast on KRLD. Channel 8 anchor Verne Lundquist, who had been announcing the games, had left Dallas for bigger things, so KRLD was auditioning different analysts to work with Brad Sham, who had been doing it for years. Cowboys general manager Tex Schramm always liked the idea of having the TV anchors identified with the Cowboys broadcast. I knew if I did well, I would get the job.

Marty Haag was news director for Channel 8. Marty said then that one of the things that he liked about me was that I was one of the

It goes on if you wish to read it

Bigdog

Reaction score
Good thing they a club soccer team in Europe or South America. The press is easy here compare to over there on their teams.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It’s a raging, unruly mob. They will be temporarily satiated by the removal of Garrett.... right before moving on to hating the new guy. It’s a CZ tradition.
Exactly. They’ll always hate someone, players, coaches, FO and some of us posters.

nobody

Reaction score
Good thing they a club soccer team in Europe or South America. The press is easy here compare to over there on their teams.

Jerry would blacklist any reporter or reporting organization from the locker room, players, death star, etc who acted like real reporters and asked hard questions.... he's done it before and will do it again. The man can't help himself. He'll tolerate no questioning of his greatness.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Lol you have to go to Dale Hansen (Who was quitting anyway) because he had a personal problem with Switzer.

yet no one else in the past 23 years. Guys like JJT, Cowlishaw, Galloway, Clarence Hill et al have continued to work at Valley Ranch/The Star in spite of the incessant criticism from those people.

Reaction score
Lol you have to go to Dale Hansen (Who was quitting anyway) because he had a personal problem with Switzer.

yet no one else in the past 23 years. Guys like JJT, Cowlishaw, Galloway, Clarence Hill et al have continued to work at Valley Ranch/The Star in spite of the incessant criticism from those people.
You asked for evidence.

I gave it.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Jerry would blacklist any reporter or reporting organization from the locker room, players, death star, etc who acted like real reporters and asked hard questions.... he's done it before and will do it again. The man can't help himself. He'll tolerate no questioning of his greatness.
I hear you but there has not been greatness from this team since they won the Super Bowl in 95. I have been fortunate to have been alive to see all the SB victories and even the SB heartbreak losses (the Jackie ? drop in the end zone against the Steelers still baffles me). I feel sorry for the million of Cowboys fans who have not experienced it yet.

nobody

Reaction score
I hear you but there has not been greatness from this team since they won the Super Bowl in 95. I have been fortunate to have been alive to see all the SB victories and even the SB heartbreak losses (the Jackie ? drop in the end zone against the Steelers still baffles me). I feel sorry for the million of Cowboys fans who have not experienced it yet.

The SB wins were something to watch live. It's just not the same feeling watching them as reruns...fortunately, the losses don't hurt as bad either.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
More lies.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
It's happened in the past. Look into it before you call it lies. You might look less ignorant.
Please. There is plenty of criticism from the DFW media and none of them have been blacklisted other than 1 case 23 years ago because of a personal issue with Switzer.

sideon

Reaction score
Maybe they will get rid of that stupid hotboyz bs. Grow a real pair and quit trying to scare the rest of the league with that little boy names they come up with.
It's disrespectful to the OG Hot Boyz who were a successful rap group that sold millions of records.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Think that’s a good idea after seeing Zeke post game. He was about to get in trouble he was that angry...I’m good with this. Guys are in the middle of a big family discussion in the living room,best leave your nose out a bit if ya don’t want it punched.

cern

Reaction score
I wonder what zeke will buy the o-line for xmas. Haven't heard.