CZ POLL Revisiting: Do you support the Cooper trade?

Do you like the trade for Cooper?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Now with a few weeks under our belt, and Cooper having proved himself in opening up the offense, plus with 3 wins in his 3 games here our draft pick is likely going to be later than those terrified we were going to be handing over a top 5 / 10 pick were fearing, do you now support the trade for Cooper?

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Giving up the pick hurts & having to deal with his extension ... But that position has been budgeted regardless

Zekes backside runs are a thing of '16......teans have rolled coverage to Cooper side, so when Zeke breaks 1st level - - he's seeing daylight again

I'd trade another 1st for Jalen

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I have no issue bringing Cooper in, I just wish we would have offered a 2nd + another pick instead of a 1st.

I think we may regret not having a first to grab a QB with in the draft.
If we didn't make the trade and ended say 4-12, sure we could've gotten a marquee QB, but with Cooper, we're 3-0. We are not on track to be drafting a day-one starter... and Dak continues to impress and improve.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
This point has been made many times but what people fail to mention is the Eagles screwed us by bidding a 2nd, maybe we could've worked it and made it a 2nd in 2019 and a 2nd in 2020, but we wanted the player, and we got it done..
Everyone keeps saying this, but even if we matched the Eagles offer at the time it seemed like the Eagles were playoff bound, and the Cowboys were a bottom half team. It would have made no sense for the Raiders to take the Eagles 2nd over the Cowboys.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
If we didn't make the trade and ended say 4-12, sure we could've gotten a marquee QB, but with Cooper, we're 3-0. We are not on track to be drafting a day-one starter... and Dak continues to impress and improve.
Improve? Yes. Impress? No.

Still having a mid to late 1st still gives you the chance to trade up and get your guy like KC & Mahomes.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying this, but even if we matched the Eagles offer at the time it seemed like the Eagles were playoff bound, and the Cowboys were a bottom half team. It would have made no sense for the Raiders to take the Eagles 2nd over the Cowboys.
Agreed but the Raiders would've demanded more. At best, it would've been a 2nd and a 4th. Once they had the offer for a 2nd, they had the leverage, and with the trade window closing, we didn't have much time to play games. Then if we offered a 2nd and a 4th and another team swooped in seeing all the interest, the cost could've ended up being a 1st anyway.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Agreed but the Raiders would've demanded more. At best, it would've been a 2nd and a 4th. Once they had the offer for a 2nd, they had the leverage, and with the trade window closing, we didn't have much time to play games. Then if we offered a 2nd and a 4th and another team swooped in seeing all the interest, the cost could've ended up being a 1st anyway.

I agree with you on that. I would have rather given up a 2nd and 4th, but were splitting hairs, and the value could go either way depending on where the cowboys end up picking.

I will make this point again - in 2016, Dak Prescott was the Mahomes of the league, with just as much hype and love being thrown at him.

Let's see where Mahomes is in 2 years....
I disagree with you here, and this is probably why we disagree on most of this thread.

I have and continue to believe that you can win with Dak Prescott, but he can only carry a team so far. Mahomes is in another league, and has twice the arm talent that Dak has. Even during his 2016 season this board we were divided on Dak, and it wasn't just because of Romo.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
At first my issue was price but I did some research and I think this is the right price.

Tate is a 3rd for a one year deal, he's 30 and his best seasons are on par with Cooper's bests.

Thomas is a 3rd as well, I think he's two years, he's also 30. His best seasons were when Manning ran Denver but besides those his best are again on par with Cooper's.

Then you look at Cooks. No one is calling the Rams FO stupid and they paid a 1st for Cooks. Cooks is the same age and his best seasons are, for the third time, on par with Cooper's. The only thing is Cooks was more consistent the last 4 years, but let's be honest, his QBs have been Brees, Brady, and now Goff. Cooper was in Oakland with Carr.

A 1st for rights to a guy with Cooper's resume and age for two years on a WR starved team is a fair, market value price. I've accepted it.

Now keep in mind this is a 1st in October/November. On draft day, if they gave up the 1st overall, it's gonna be a different perception than the 32nd.

Praxit

Reaction score
..They brought Cooper to change things. They have and will continue to improve. Sometimes to process to better fields, there's risks involved.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
No, not just the over paying, i would still take the first round pick because i still believe we miss the playoffs or at best 1 and done. I wanted what i wanted 2 off seasons ago, all the picks we can muster for the next coaching staff.

We continue to make it a mess for the next coaching staff.

As its already proven, Cooper wasnt the only fix. Hes a "we paid a first round pick" fix, but replaceing Cooper has paid off as well.

Also remember, we paid this price because our genuis coaching staff threw at a dart board and "go with WR by committe" was hit by a dart.

Status
Not open for further replies.