Revisting the Wentz vs Dak debate

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Based on just about everything.

Wentz is bigger, faster, better arm, and better mechanics.

There's a reason most had Wentz graded as a first round pick and dak as a mid-round pick.

Biigger is a talent? Better arm in what? Strength on the deep ball, ok. But ball placement, where to identify the defense. Thus Dak having only 2 ints. Better mechanics? What does that mean? Leadership, football IQ, composure under pressure (especially late in games and the 4th quarter), using the threat of the pass on the move to then run downfield (which Dak does very well).

Again, only thing Weintz has is the stronger arm on the deep ball.

"There's a reason most had Wentz graded as a first round pick and dak as a mid-round pick"
Here is the reasons for Dak.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/who-wa...ys-and-why-did-it-take-so-long-013907957.html

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
So measurable. All things that only matter for draft ranking.
Yes and that poll of GMs saying they would choose Wentz over Dak if they had to re-draft agree with me.

Ask yourself this, if Dak was an Eagle and Wentz was a Cowboy, would you still think Dak is more talented?

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Biigger is a talent? Better arm in what? Strength on the deep ball, ok. But ball placement, where to identify the defense. Thus Dak having only 2 ints. Better mechanics? What does that mean? Leadership, football IQ, composure under pressure (especially late in games and the 4th quarter), using the threat of the pass on the move to then run downfield (which Dak does very well).

Again, only thing Weintz has is the stronger arm on the deep ball.
Now we are going to pretend we dont know what talent means?

Is Zeke more talented than Emmitt Smith?

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Yes and that poll of GMs saying they would choose Wentz over Dak if they had to re-draft agree with me.

Ask yourself this, if Dak was an Eagle and Wentz was a Cowboy, would you still think Dak is more talented?
Yes, easily. And that article, if I'm thinking of the same one, was five NFL "executives". That could be anyone. lol

lukin2006

Reaction score
According to Jimmy Johnson the one thing you can't measure are the intangibles, and Dak seems to think he's got all the intangibles, and it kinda looks that way...anyways it might be a silly debate, I assume the O-line and running game will remain solid for years to come...so if Dak can continue to perform in future years in this scheme we may never know who is truly better. Now if we concentrate on fixing the defence then we will be very happy with Dak for years to come...

Ashwynn

Reaction score
Wentz is more talented and might be the better qb when its all said done, but at the end of the day Id rather have Dak+Zeke instead of just Wentz
I dont think Dak is going to become less smart or less talented as he grows into the position. Hes better then Carson now and will be 5 years from now and 10 years from now. The difference may be Dak is still playing for the Cowboys in 10 years guaranteed. Carson could well be in NY (Jets) or Buffalo or Cleveland or out of football all together in 10 years.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I gave the reasons why Dak has more talent. Show me other than Weintz arm (deep ball) where he has more talent? Deifine it with facts.
Wentz can make throws that Prescott can not (or has yet to show)

Wentz has more athletic ability

Wentz is a more accurate thrower (before you point out completion %, is Kirk cousins more accurate than Romo?)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Even this is missing the rushing TDs, btw. Also in Dak's favor.

I really don't understand why this is a debate. Wentz is regressing. With the same talent he had to start the year out. Dak outperforms him in every measurable category without regard for who's got the better team around him. I could understand an argument about the teammates if the two were playing at close to the same level, but it's not even in the same ballpark right now. Yes, Wentz has the physical tools. And it's an open question whether he's got the mental fortitude or the ability to ever put those considerable tools to use in this league. The league is littered with failed QBs with amazing physical tools. Not to mention mediocre ones.

All we know so far is that Dak's outperforming Wentz (and most of the starting veterans) along the way to the most impressive rookie QB performance we've seen in many years. Anybody who thinks that's on the team around him and not on Dak needs to go all the way back to 2015 and see what Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel, and Kellen Moore with with that same protection and a similar set of weapons. Hint: it was positively Wentz-like.

Last edited: