Twitter: Rex Ryan interviewed for Cowboys DC job

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Man just sign someone please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why can't we look into some younger names

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
There’s a reason guys like this are available.
sddefault.jpg

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Man just sign someone please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why can't we look into some younger names
JJ would rather sign a famous “name” the fan base has heard of and cause them to have a short stint of excitement than to look for a younger, super-talented, hungry guy no one has heard of.

In essence, Jerry runs this team like a fan. “I’ve heard of that guy”….”He won a Super Bowl, let’s get him”, “He will draw some excitement”….not “Let’s find the best young defensive mind out there regardless of name recognition”.

When your GM is also your primary marketing salesman, it’s a very bad combination for winning. Great for selling, not great for winning championships.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
God this team is messed up. *** are they doing. Seriously. There is not one other team interested in any of the guys we interviewed.

Big_D

Reaction score
JJ would rather sign a famous “name” the fan base has heard of and cause them to have a short stint of excitement than to look for a younger, super-talented, hungry guy no one has heard of.

In essence, Jerry runs this team like a fan. “I’ve heard of that guy”….”He won a Super Bowl, let’s get him”, “He will draw some excitement”….not “Let’s find the best young defensive mind out there regardless of name recognition”.
Who is this young coach everyone wants?

phildadon86

Reaction score

For the life of me I don’t get it.

Wait until Monday. Interview the coaches on the defensive side of the ball from the Reid tree and Shanahan tree. At a bear minimum you get to pick the minds of the guys who know how to pick apart those schemes, which have haunted the cowboys for years

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the life of me I don’t get it.

Wait until Monday. Interview the coaches on the defensive side of the ball from the Reid tree and Shanahan tree. At a bear minimum you get to pick the minds of the guys who know how to pick apart those schemes, which have haunted the cowboys for years
When your GM is also your primary marketing salesman, you get this kind of thinking. Instead of finding a great young defensive mind, you are instead looking for someone to sell to the fan base.
Who is this young coach everyone wants?
The lions DC Aaron Glenn is a great example of a very good young defensive mind. He did miracles with a very under-manned lions D last year. He’s under contract so we can’t get him. But he exemplifies what I would be looking for. An old has been like Zimmer or Rex Ryan are band-aids at best, re-treads at worst.

Again, why is a guy like Rex Ryan on an ESPN set? Because he’s better at talking than coaching.

dupree89

Reaction score
I'm kind of liking it better than the others being mentioned. (But I'd still prefer Vrabel. )

One thing I've never understood about the Ryan boys and their fancy blitz packages is how they expect a big old D lineman cover a back down field on occasion.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He's a defensive wizard but he's been out of coaching for a long time.

I'd definitely take him over Zimmer though.
Only reason I think he is interested in coaching again is Texas is year round flip flop weather

perrykemp

Reaction score
Lets face it, Ryan seems like the type who be actively trying to sabotage Mike McCarthy so he could set himself up as the next HC. I love a good soap opera so I love this move.

NDGAEDE

Reaction score
This is shaping up to be the Mike Nolan kind of hire, looks like.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If you pay attention to his Dallas critiques on ESPN over the years, it feels like he's been angling for a job here for awhile.

All for it. I'd love to have him as the DC/assistant HC. Rex knows physical defence. He's fluent in it from what I've seen.