Rhonda Rousey punched repeatedly

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Of course she was a fraud.

That's been made pretty clear.

There is a reason judo doesn't work in the mens division and if she can't get you in a scramble situation to slap on an arm bar then she will struggle against and girl that has actual striking skills and a little take down defense.

Of course.

I don't like "strikers" in this sport. Too much like boxing.

This sport will never take off as a hodge podge of EVERYTHING!

In boxing you cannot kick or backhand.
In this sport you shouldn't be able to oppose each other and pot shot each other.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Of course.

In this sport you shouldn't be able to oppose each other and pot shot each other.

You would be in the small small minority that doesn't like striking.

Wrestling is king in this sport.. Not striking or anything else.

Stryker44

Reaction score
You would be in the small small minority that doesn't like striking.

Wrestling is king in this sport.. Not striking or anything else.

That's what makes no logical sense. Why didn't she just shoot on Nunes and take over?

JDSmith

Reaction score
That's what makes no logical sense. Why didn't she just shoot on Nunes and take over?

I doubt you've ever seen Ronda shoot on anyone. She always goes for the head and arm takedown, which means she's moving in much more upright than a wrestler would. She did try for that grab a number of times against Nunes, but Nunes moves laterally and also hits MUCH harder than anyone else Ronda has faced. Ronda was hit hard within the first 15 seconds of the fight, that doesn't leave a lot of time for clean takedowns. She did try though, you probably just never saw it because Nunes brushed it off while also moving laterally and hitting her.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I doubt you've ever seen Ronda shoot on anyone. She always goes for the head and arm takedown, which means she's moving in much more upright than a wrestler would. She did try for that grab a number of times against Nunes, but Nunes moves laterally and also hits MUCH harder than anyone else Ronda has faced. Ronda was hit hard within the first 15 seconds of the fight, that doesn't leave a lot of time for clean takedowns. She did try though, you probably just never saw it because Nunes brushed it off while also moving laterally and hitting her.

Yep..

She uses an inferior martial art.

When the UFC gets past the soccer mom level then Judo will most likely be as effective as it is in the mens division.

I'm glad all of this Ronda stuff is over. I thought she was fraud before she ever lost and the last 2 fights confirmed it. She was a media creation.

JDSmith

Reaction score
Of course.

You should check out submission grappling. The Eddie Bravo invitational is great, it's submission only so nobody is playing for points. They attack constantly and battle for submissions. Metamoris is also terrific, although not quite as good as the EBI in my opinion. Pretty sure Eddie Bravo posts the matches on youtube from his tournament sometime a couple of weeks after it's held (they have it live streaming on PPV). No striking, and the grappling is super exciting.

Edit: I forgot to mention Polaris, another great grappling tournament.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
You should check out submission grappling. The Eddie Bravo invitational is great, it's submission only so nobody is playing for points. They attack constantly and battle for submissions. Metamoris is also terrific, although not quite as good as the EBI in my opinion. Pretty sure Eddie Bravo posts the matches on youtube from his tournament sometime a couple of weeks after it's held (they have it live streaming on PPV). No striking, and the grappling is super exciting.

Edit: I forgot to mention Polaris, another great grappling tournament.

Awesome!
Thank you for that JD.

JDSmith

Reaction score
@REDVOLUTION If you want to see an exciting grappler check out Garry Tonon. He's a local guy, from Ocean County NJ, and he's one of the best grapplers on the planet. He also attacks relentlessly. He had a match in Polaris against Rousimar Palhares - who was kicked out of the UFC for failing to release a leg lock in time. But Palhares is kind of an animal, he's great at leg locks and brutally strong. Anyway, even though he's about 30 lbs lighter than Palhares he requested a match against him and Polaris acommidated them. So you might want to check this out

It's a very leg lock heavy match, but they have insane skills.

Tonon is my favorite pure grappler. He's a madman.

Stryker44

Reaction score
@REDVOLUTION If you want to see an exciting grappler check out Garry Tonon. He's a local guy, from Ocean County NJ, and he's one of the best grapplers on the planet. He also attacks relentlessly. He had a match in Polaris against Rousimar Palhares - who was kicked out of the UFC for failing to release a leg lock in time. But Palhares is kind of an animal, he's great at leg locks and brutally strong. Anyway, even though he's about 30 lbs lighter than Palhares he requested a match against him and Polaris acommidated them. So you might want to check this out

It's a very leg lock heavy match, but they have insane skills.

Tonon is my favorite pure grappler. He's a madman.

Does he make Tonon tap at the end? If so, why are both hands raised?

JDSmith

Reaction score
Does he make Tonon tap at the end? If so, why are both hands raised?

In Polaris there are no judges so unless someone taps in regulation you end up with a draw. That's one of the reasons I prefer EBI - after time is up in EBI they have the guys switch off taking a dominant, near submission position, and they try to tap each other that way. If that goes on for 3 rounds with no submissions they add up the times it took each guy to escape during overtime and the guy with the shortest time wins. So EBI will have a winner, whereas Polaris and Metamoris frequently have draws.

So that match ended in a draw. Tonon definitely came closer to getting the submission, he had Palhares in pretty serious trouble at one point.

The issue that the submission only tournaments have is that these guys are the very top of the grappling food chain, and as a result they are obscenely hard to tap out - and if a guy gets out there and feels overmatched he can play the defensive game because there are no judges to award points to the aggressor. Matches frequently go to a time limit draw. So people wanting a winner and loser will be disappointed. People who just want to watch amazing grappling will enjoy it though.

And I forgot that Eddie Bravo signed on with UFC Fight Pass, so he pulled all of his tournament videos and moved them there. There are still highlights and unofficial videos floating around though, and Polaris and Metamoris.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
She was great for women's fighting.

She wasn't a fraud but she isn't going to ever be a big time stand up fighter, I don't think. Not unless she gets a far better coach. Part of her last loss was definitely on coaching. Her coach was ill prepared and had no idea the power and stamina of Nunes.

At this point she's a ground fighter only. She has to get people to the ground or she isn't going to really have a chance.

Her last two fights I haven't felt like she made the move to take it to the ground when she should have. She did against Nunes, with a weak take down attempt after she'd already been getting punched around.

She's got to learn that she wasn't the best female fighter on the planet cause of heavy hands or a strong chin. She's gotten away from what made her great.