Rich Eisen, Give Dak fewer throws that he has to make and fewer moments where Dak has to be the guy

khiladi

Reaction score
He sucked. Like I said, I am not excusing Dak.

But my point is this. If Dak Prescott led an offense that only scored 17 and was shutout the second half in a playoff game, what would the reaction on this forum be?

If the Chiefs defense played poorly against the Ravens, Mahomes' effort Sunday would not have been enough.

So this is my point: if the Cowboys build this team correctly- like the Chiefs built their team- they would be able to overcome bad Dak days. Because the Chiefs just overcame a bad Mahomes day.

Right now the Cowboys (and many fans too) expect Dak to do something consistently that not even Mahomes can do. And that is totally unrealistic because we all know Dak is not anywhere near Mahomes. Just think about it and you'll see the point I'm trying to make.
Again, what did Dak do the last 2 years against the 49ers and what is his track record in first half performance in the playoffs including INTs thrown?

Your point is completely wrong… Dak consistently SUCKs in the playoffs. His team doesn’t.. Mahomes had constantly bailed his team out in the playoffs over and over and over again.

khiladi

Reaction score
Imagine blaming the number 1 scoring defense and TO defense 2 out of 3 years in a row, and still a top 5 defense in scoring and TO defense this year…

khiladi

Reaction score
The D sucked at that point and DT was largely ignored. Jerry certainly didn't build a quality team. 2016 was their best year.. after that it was down hill until they got desperate and traded for Cooper, but the D was still not very good and by 2019.. the Ram debacle. Now 2024 and they still can't stop the run. Run the ball, stop the run. Those are the 2 biggest things. Zeke for 3 years was good, but the D simply was not. That's not an excuse. Having one aspect without the other isn't getting it done. This goes for any team that wins championships. Those things are necessary.
Their defense was a bend don’t break and were consistently a top half of the league scoring defense, they were good enough to win of their QB didn’t suck

khiladi

Reaction score
Mahomes lost your Brady in the conference championship. because Brady had the ball last but the Chiefs had the 24th ranked passing defense, bottom last in attempts and second to last in yards. Their Rush defense sucked as well.

khiladi

Reaction score
I love all the double talk. It’s not all Dak when the team is losing in the playoffs. The team is in far worse shape without Dak versus with him-which is blaming large portions of winning games on Dak.

The biggest reason for winning games is Dak in that case. The biggest reasons for losing them are take your pick: the coaches, poor receivers, the defense, the lineman, the linebackers, the scheme, whiney receivers, dropped passes, predictable routes, Garrett, poor running game, Zeke and his bloated salary, Jerry Jones (yes but not for the reasons you state), the Dutch, sky-mirror, poor penmanship, the glare through the endzone windows, Amari Cooper’s lack of passion, run defense, missed interceptions, luck, getting jobbed from the zebras, lack of high end weapons, not enough dominating play calls, coaching motivation, a curse, lack of fan support, etc.
LOL.. Rush is 5-1 with this team overall and he can’t even throw past 30 yards. And the defense when he played wasn’t giving him TOs at the rate it was giving Dak. The team scored over 35 PPG in 4 of Dalton’s games with a make shift offensive line. If he started the whole season, Dallas easily makes the playoffs in 2020.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Imagine blaming the number 1 scoring defense and TO defense 2 out of 3 years in a row, and still a top 5 defense in scoring and TO defense this year…
Also the Offensive line, someone on here said that they didn't want to hear it anymore about how Romo had to play with worse offensive lines than Dak has, after this year. Then someone recently posted something showing ours OL ranked 6th. Not a top 5 OL but surely enough for an MVP to play with. ;)

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Also the Offensive line, someone on here said that they didn't want to hear it anymore about how Romo had to play with worse offensive lines than Dak has, after this year. Then someone recently posted something showing ours OL ranked 6th. Not a top 5 OL but surely enough for an MVP to play with. ;)
Ehh..the offensive line was not very good this year. Against good teams they struggled mightily. I know the PFF grades were top five or whatever, but games like the 640 yard outburst against the Giants and all the other scrub teams Dallas routed inflated their overall grade.

Watch the line against the 49ers or Bills or Packers in the playoffs and you'll see a different group. Like the entire team they shrink against tougher opposition.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
Im not comparing QBs but to pretend those guys teams weren't completely stacked in comparison to this one is comical. Roger and Troy had HOF level players at many different areas on the team. Were you watching the Packer game? You see a team close to any of those championship teams? They made plays and had other players also make plays. That's how championship teams work. But somehow asking a RB to make a play is frowned upon around here.
I hear this argument a lot nowadays.. especially about Troy.. oh well he had ALL these HOF guys around him.

Troy didn't arrive at Dallas with all these HOF guys already there.. they became HOF players because they played great and WON stuff. Sick of this argument to try and lessen Troy's value as a QB.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Ehh..the offensive line was not very good this year. Against good teams they struggled mightily. I know the PFF grades were top five or whatever, but games like the 640 yard outburst against the Giants and all the other scrub teams Dallas routed inflated their overall grade.

Watch the line against the 49ers or Bills or Packers in the playoffs and you'll see a different group. Like the entire team they shrink against tougher opposition.
Some of us our tired off all the excuses. I think a Quarterback plays with what he is given. Dak has never had to play with a bad offensive line, at their lowest they may have been Okay offensive lines. But there is certainly a difference to the line that got Romo Injured to the ones that Dak has had. We've haven't seen Dak take a beating because of the line, despite him holding onto the ball a tad bit too long.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hear this argument a lot nowadays.. especially about Troy.. oh well he had ALL these HOF guys around him.

Troy didn't arrive at Dallas with all these HOF guys already there.. they became HOF players because they played great and WON stuff. Sick of this argument to try and lessen Troy's value as a QB.
The first thing I think about when I here that stuff is the person saying it doesn't know what he's talking about. The team stunk, it was 1-15 when they drafted Aikman. It wasn't filled with HoFers until they built the team INCLUDING Aikman. And, wasn't he one of the first of that team to be elevated into the Hall?

Jimmy Johnson said it best when he described Aikman as more interested in winning than stats. He could have been a primadonna but wasn't. And he was darn good when it mattered, in the playoffs!

Big_D

Reaction score

LOL WOW it doesn't lessen the QB to have great players around him. He didn't turn everyone into a hall of famer. He had a great team as did Staubach. That doesn't lessen any QB. What a ridiculous take. He also had great coaching. There were a lot of keys to winning championships in the 90s. Some will credit the Herschel Walker trade, some will credit the Oline, some will credit Emmitt, some will credit a great defense, the QB on and on.. There was a lot of help. A RB who still 30 years later holds the TD record??? None of those things lessen what Troy did. But he alone didn't turn them all into hall of famers either.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Jones “All-In” Rich Eisen’s Advice for Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones.

Rich Eisen Talks Of Derrick Henry.. Give Dak fewer throws that he has to make and fewer moments where Dak has to be the guy..

Rich Is Spot On and Absolutely Makes Sense.. :thumbup:

Lol.....Memo to RE

YOU CAN'T HIDE THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION ON THE FIELD

You can try to hide it...

You can try and disguise it....

You can even overpay for it....trying to convince people...

But in the end....you get what you invest in....and in the last 30 years...Jerry has completely dumpster dived...scrapping the bottom of the dumpster.

dupree89

Reaction score
Jones “All-In” Rich Eisen’s Advice for Dallas Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones.

Rich Eisen Talks Of Derrick Henry.. Give Dak fewer throws that he has to make and fewer moments where Dak has to be the guy..

Rich Is Spot On and Absolutely Makes Sense.. :thumbup:

so we're gonna pay him like he is tom brady but expect nothing more than a david garrard-type QB.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
LOL WOW it doesn't lessen the QB to have great players around him. He didn't turn everyone into a hall of famer. He had a great team as did Staubach. That doesn't lessen any QB. What a ridiculous take. He also had great coaching. There were a lot of keys to winning championships in the 90s. Some will credit the Herschel Walker trade, some will credit the Oline, some will credit Emmitt, some will credit a great defense, the QB on and on.. There was a lot of help. A RB who still 30 years later holds the TD record??? None of those things lessen what Troy did. But he alone didn't turn them all into hall of famers either.
What's that got to do with the price of fish in Cambodia?

I was simply saying that I hear the argument that Troy wasn't all that good.. because he was surrounded by HOF players.

That's it nothing more.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
quit debunking the dak excuses, next you guys will be telling me that Jerry doesn't call down to Mike and tell him the plays to run.

Blitzen

Reaction score

The offensive line played well for the most part this season. Green Bay was not able to even generate pressure the first half of the game, unless Dak bailed from the pocket early (the one sack play). They consistently provided a good pocket the first half. When they fell further behind, they could not always stop the pass rush because Dallas was forced to pass.

The problem is that the Cowboys were partially in their predicament because their defense was not able to stop Jordan and the GB offense AND that Dak turned the ball over once deep in their own territory and also gave them a pick six (along with many poor throws on open routes leading to punts and stalling drives).

Blitzen

Reaction score
In Mahomes' case I had to pick an oulier game to prove my point.

Most teams, including Dallas, do not have the luxury of having a generational talent at QB like Mahomes. So they need TEAM efforts to consistently win big games.

Listen, I am not absolving Dak of the blame. He deserves all that he is getting. But I think too many fans have blinders on and think ditching Dak suddenly makes everything better. The way the entire team played against Green Bay worries me. Change the QB in that game and the result is still the same. Maybe a little closer, but still a loss.

My point is, imagine if the Cowboys had a defense like the Chiefs. They held the Ravens to ten points the entire game. The Cowboys gave up 7 to Green Bay before Dak even took the field.
I think many here somehow believe that anyone that is throwing lots of shade at Dak is somehow of the opinion that without Dak the team improves its chances of winning in the playoffs.

I would hazard a guess that is not accurate. I believe the club with Dak has proven to not be viable offensively in the playoffs with Dak against better defenses and when the team must score lots of points to win games when the opposing offense is having good success. A lot of blame can be attributed to Dak struggling to be sharp early and consistently in those games (interceptions and poor ball placement). Whether it’s nerves or just poor consistency from Dak does not matter-it helps lead to poor offensive production.

If you believe-like I do-that the seven playoff games played by Dak shows a trend of very poor starts offensively (with plenty of blame pointed towards Dak in those first halves)-then why the stance that the team is in better shape with Dak than without? Against playoff squads in the playoffs? Or during the regular season with less stakes and against some of the poorest squads? I believe the team should abandon any future plans to build around Dak because of his playoff trends-not because of a guarantee that the team would be better-but because they have already established what they are on offense with Dak in the playoffs.