Rich Eisen interviews Bill Parcells

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
He was the one after the 2006 draft of a TE in the second who said he may do it again next year, right? lol
That used to drive me crazy. It was his little thing. He would say it and admit it freely "I collect 'em, okay?".

Alexander

Reaction score
Meh, I always thought that too, but he also drafted Drew Bledsoe, found Chad Pennington and Tony Romo. He may have been able to coach without great QBs, and he didn't believe in their deification, but he definitely respected the need for a good one.
He did not coddle any of them. In fact, he took great pride in deconstructing them and them reassembling them how he wanted.

I have little doubt he made Phil Simms cry like a baby, oh, about a million times.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
He did not coddle any of them. In fact, he took great pride in deconstructing them and them reassembling them how he wanted.

I have little doubt he made Phil Simms cry like a baby, oh, about a million times.

Lol too true. The funny thing is, if you look at his best QBs - Simms to Bledsoe to Pennington to Romo, I feel like they slowly got better. Maybe a function of the NFL rule changes and just the nature of the position, but each one was a little better than the last*

*Pennington will be the one people will say yo, you're crazy, but he was on his way to being insanely great until his shoulder robbed him.

conner01

Reaction score

He did deconstruct guys and rebuild them better. More mentally tough and smarter
No player wanted to miss a play and have to face him in the film room

conner01

Reaction score
That used to drive me crazy. It was his little thing. He would say it and admit it freely "I collect 'em, okay?".
Loved him as a coach and how he handled players
Didn’t love him as much as a personnel guy

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Exact words: "They have a QB that can get the job done.".

In what world does that say "impressed"?

Bill Parcells won a Lombardi with Jeff Hostetler. He got to the playoffs with Quincy Carter.

He has never been in awe of the position. He coached games his way, the QB was not a partner but a tool.

Yes, and I enjoyed it. Loved how he employed offensive coaches who schemed plays to fool the other team. He took wore-down players and mediocre talent and did far better with it than what a coach like Garrett ever could.

Alexander

Reaction score
He did deconstruct guys and rebuild them better. More mentally tough and smarter
No player wanted to miss a play and have to face him in the film room
I have little doubt the grief that he gave Witten after his broken jaw in his rookie year made an impact.

I guess the thing now is you give everyone participation ribbons, worry about their feelings and don't practice tough love.

Most players hated him when playing but they had no choice. They pretty much had no free agency. They had no social media to air their grievances.

But ask the greats what they thought of him in retrospect and what he did for them.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Exact words: "They have a QB that can get the job done.".

In what world does that say "impressed"?

Bill Parcells won a Lombardi with Jeff Hostetler. He got to the playoffs with Quincy Carter.

He has never been in awe of the position. He coached games his way, the QB was not a partner but a tool.
Oh brother! :facepalm:

conner01

Reaction score
I have little doubt the grief that he gave Witten after his broken jaw in his rookie year made an impact.

I guess the thing now is you give everyone participation ribbons, worry about their feelings and don't practice tough love.

Most players hated him when playing but they had no choice. They pretty much had no free agency. They had no social media to air their grievances.

But ask the greats what they thought of him in retrospect and what he did for them.
He made them better. Some young players didnt like the way he went about it. But later on in their careers they appreciated it
The teachers I hated in school actually taught me more than the ones I liked because they pushed me harder
Hated at the time but over time understood it
I bet their were days romo wasn’t a fan but he was a big part of making all of them the players they were

Alexander

Reaction score
He made them better. Some young players didnt like the way he went about it. But later on in their careers they appreciated it
The teachers I hated in school actually taught me more than the ones I liked because they pushed me harder
Hated at the time but over time understood it
I bet their were days romo wasn’t a fan but he was a big part of making all of them the players they were
That is the mark of a good coach. Did they take something with them.

Alexander

Reaction score
Are Romo, Witten and Ware considered "Parcell guys"? Just always wondered that.
They were made men. Just think about the mafia perspective and you got what a Parcells guy is.

johnmeuir

Reaction score
I could listen to interviews with Parcells all day. He's the epitome of a football coach. When he speaks, you take what he says and hold into it, even if you don't like it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was great. He implicitly endorsed Dak, too. “A QB that can get ignored done.” Good enough for me.