Twitter: Richard Sherman comments on Nolan's scheme

stilltheguru

Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to see what this defense looks like when Lee is back.
Hes one guy. Just because he knows what hes doing doesn't mean the other 10 players do. And I wouldn't call Jaylon dumb but why would you install a complex defense with the lack of offseason we've had?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I always took the "variable scheme" and being "complicated" as he does not know what the hell he is doing and just throwing out random schemes all game to see if something sticks. He has no plan at all. But hey it's all "variable"!!!. That will sure fool the other team. Except it doesn't. At all.

I was all about firing Rod. It was time to clean house. But I absolutely hated this hire. This dude is a bum and is worse than Rod. Firing people is just the first part. If you don't make a good hire to replace, it doesn't matter. I actually think we are worse off with Nolan than with Rod.

I got the McCarthy hire. You can sell that to me. But the Nolan hire? Absolutely did not make sense.

Mike and Nolan are big buddies.

Nolan hired mike as the OC at 49ers back in 2005. Mike got the Greenbay job the next season.

Paybacks. 8)

Reactions: BAT

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
We really have several problems.

A. The scheme is too complicated for our simpleton players. Not trying to be rude, just keeping it real. We need smarter players if we are going to be running these exotic hybrid schemes.

B. When these simpleton players get confused, which is actually quite a lot, they stop giving full effort and start loafing. This is called "let the other guy make the play" syndrome. You saw it on the reverse, Aldon was trying to make a play on Beckham and everybody else was just standing around watching.

C. Front office, as in Jerry and Steven, have too much pride and arrogance to admit they make mistakes so they double down on their mistakes which makes the situation worse.

doomsday808

Reaction score
Intangibles is what we lack most. Hunger, talent and IQ. I'm not sure if another DC will be any better.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does anybody have the number for coach Marinelli still? That’s what we’re saying, right?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I prefer more complex. But you have to have sense in installing it. All new staff, lots of new players, a late, shortened, and limited camp, no preseason.

By all accounts, they have not got it. He tried to introduce too much, too fast. Can't just blame the players. It's up to him to make the most out of them in the situation we're in.

Throw too much, too fast at them, and they just get confused, always failing, never making progress.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Richard would have been better with full control of the defense

Better. Still maybe not so good. Similarly, Marinelli could have been better with full authority.

Just another case of muddied and dysfunctional authority assignments in the org, making everyone less than they can be.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
So Nolan has installed a very complicated scheme with minimal talent, minimal time and lots of injuries?

That's called the perfect storm for disaster.

Exactly............that is why you some guys on defense playing man and some playing zone all on the same play!!!

Then we wonder why WRs are running so wide open in the secondary they look like they are fielding punts waiting for passes, LOL.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
Since the 90s our defense has continued to separate itself from well-deserved "Doomsday" mantra. There are no excuses. You see franchises like Baltimore build up to ERAs of good defense and we continue to underwhelm. When was the last time we invested a high pick on a safety? We always bargain shop or play "project" when it comes to this position. From AOA to Wilcox. Last year we could've addressed two needs in round 1 and 2 on defense had we drafted S Thornhill and DT Saunders. We continue to push in these coordinators who have zero innovation. This used to be a franchise that was innovative in beginning trends for others to follow. Instead, we've become a joke.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Since the 90s our defense has continued to separate itself from well-deserved "Doomsday" mantra. There are no excuses. You see franchises like Baltimore build up to ERAs of good defense and we continue to underwhelm. When was the last time we invested a high pick on a safety? We always bargain shop or play "project" when it comes to this position. From AOA to Wilcox. Last year we could've addressed two needs in round 1 and 2 on defense had we drafted S Thornhill and DT Saunders. We continue to push in these coordinators who have zero innovation. This used to be a franchise that was innovative in beginning trends for others to follow. Instead, we've become a joke.

Bottom line is the void in talent. DT, safety, secondary, linebacker these have all been weaknesses for over a decade.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I dont get yall

Is it the scheme or is the players?

Because these same players have sucked in the last scheme

There is sucking and there is being the worst in history of the NFL.

I'm sure you can see the difference.

And I warned everyone from the very beginning about Nolan.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Exactly............that is why you some guys on defense playing man and some playing zone all on the same play!!!

Then we wonder why WRs are running so wide open in the secondary they look like they are fielding punts waiting for passes, LOL.

And MM refuses to simplify the defense, calling it dumbing it down.