Twitter: Richard Sherman comments on Nolan's scheme

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Let's see, this defense was 11th in scoring and although they did lose the best DB I dont believe its the players. This coordinator has a track record of beign out of the top 25 in mostly all of his stints. I hope McCarthy isn't too stupid to let this ship sink and waste another year next year trying to let his buddy make it right. I hate McCarthy already, what does he actually do?

DandyDon52

Reaction score
instead of designing a scheme for the players he has, nolan is making them fit into his scheme, and we all have seen how well that is working!
The question is, will mm or jerry do anything to change this??
I bet the giants are hoping he doesnt get fired till after the game this sunday lol, they are getting their run game ready for some fun !!:dance:

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Well... it is clear that what Nolan has done to this point ain’t working. Talk to your players— figure out what they do best, and put them in the best place to succeed.

And if that means you have to scale the playbook back this year— then you damn well better do it for the team.
With no offseason, why didn't he do this in the first place. I always go back to Parcells first year when he stuck with the 4-3 because that's the personnel we had. Nolan should have done the same until there was a full offseason.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
On the otherhand he did endorse Richard who everybody on here hates

When it comes to fundamentals, Richard I think its a pretty good coach on what he does. He did realize that Byron Jones's true position was at corner. They moved him there and he became one of our best players on defense. So Richard knows a thing or two about DBs and corners and know how to coach them up.

However, when it comes to the scheme I think that's where he falls short.

Same with Marinelli. He knows how to coach the Dlinemen. But is terrible at the scheming.

I guess both of them failed because of the culture here in Dallas. They don't know which scheme to run and both of them are proposing something totally different.

links18

Reaction score
I think Nolan is bad
But what makes it worse is the lack of effort from the players. They already lacked effort in Marinelli’s scheme, which was way simpler than this (so simple that anyone could figure them out). So of course, our defense could not handle the “complicatedness” of Nolan’s.

Mix low effort players, people who shouldn’t be starters, people who get paid and then dip, along with possibly the worst DC currently in the NFL, and you have a historically bad defense in your hands.

I mean this can't be all due to scheme or lack thereof. No scheme tells players to jog, get run out of the play or whiff on a tackle and we are doing all of that. Unless they have just given up.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Jack of all trades, master of none.

We made a poor hire at DC.

Remember in the offseason when they were talking all that noise about, "players over scheme," and how they weren't beholden to their scheme? Good times.

Reactions: BAT

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
With no offseason, why didn't he do this in the first place. I always go back to Parcells first year when he stuck with the 4-3 because that's the personnel we had. Nolan should have done the same until there was a full offseason.

Absolutely. They talked about adapting the scheme to fit the players, but it sure doesn’t look like that is what happened lol

Haimerej

Reaction score
i don’t hate KRichard. 8)

he was one of the better coaches we’ve had here in a while.

#LegionOfBoom

He's still the only guy Carroll ever fired.

Also, it's unsurprising Sherman said they'd be helped by going to a fundamental defense. The LoB notoriously played a straight up defense. They bragged about it. It was known that they just lined up and beat you. Your boy Richard brought that idea to this team. I repeat- dude brought the same idea he used with Pro Bowlers... to these players.

I rest my case.

Reactions: BAT

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
People keep saying complex doesn’t mean better but let me tell you that the best defensive coordinators I’ve ever seen- Jim Johnson and Dick LeBeau- ran complex defenses. The difference was they didn’t have stupid players trying to run it and we have Jaylon Smith.
Did they have a Pandemic with Pandemic rules where you had no real opportunity to install "said" defense, with multiple injuries in it's first year? IE, no OTAs, soft training camp etc...

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Asante Samuel played with Nolan in Atlanta and said of all the DCs he played for, Nolan was the worst.

Sydia--- why why would you even consider bringing in a complicated defense that is new...especially all the restrictions of Covid?....that is ineptness..pure and simple..and when you hear former players rag on how bad a coach is....that is huge red flag...have not heard anything good about Nolan..McCarthey only brought Nolan in because Nolan gave McCarthey his first shot when Nolan was head coach...its called Kronism..or Croniism ....nothing like this meltdown would occur
with Belichek ...he gets run of the mill players to play well for him...we have better than average players that look worse than anyone...that always fall square on the coach....and Jones is too prideful to do anything but support the ineptness
i am so ticked off....cannot sleep...i know Gorico get a life its only a game...but i am retired so that part is over...now its only Cowboys...and never been so upset in my life....even more than when we lost to Philly next to last game last season