Twitter: Rick Gosselin tweet on lack of penalties

MarcusRock

Reaction score
That was some straight up BullChit last night...………….poor DLaw was being ganged raped literally every down and no flags, not one.

He would be DPOY if he didnt have a star on his helmet...……..feel bad for the dude

That is an interesting theory but who else on the line besides DLaw do we have that strikes fear into an offense? Taco? Crawford? Oft-injured Collins? The plan would be clear from where I sit. Pay attention to DLaw with doubles, chips and help-outs, and go mano-y-mano with the rest. No penalties are necessary for that tactic.

Last edited:

droopdog7

Reaction score
I'd love to see your calculations.
So I did a basic chi square using 18 years. Not getting into all the details but basically the cowboys have had a no penalty game against them happen 1.7% of the time (5/288) which is actually a lot of you think about it. In contrast, it's happened to all other teams 0.3% of the time (25/8928). If you stick those numbers into a chi-square you get a p-value of .000024. This essentially means that you would find that pattern by chance approximately 0.0024% of the time. So it is extremely unlikely.

Now does this mean the league is out to get the cowboys? Not necessarily. Could mean we're not good at forcing penalties (which of course would be a hard sell across 18 years). Either way, but we're clearly an outlier on this particular stat.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
So I did a basic chi square using 18 years. Not getting into all the details but basically the cowboys have had a no penalty game against them happen 1.7% of the time (5/288) which is actually a lot of you think about it. In contrast, it's happened to all other teams 0.3% of the time (25/8928). If you stick those numbers into a chi-square you get a p-value of .000024. This essentially means that you would find that pattern by chance approximately 0.0024% of the time. So it is extremely unlikely.

Now does this mean the league is out to get the cowboys? Not necessarily. Could mean we're not good at forcing penalties (which of course would be a hard sell across 18 years). Either way, but we're clearly an outlier on this particular stat.

The subtitle to this thread should be math is hard. :muttley:

If 5 times in 18 years is evidence of a conspiracy, the people running the conspiracy aren't very good at it.

erod

Reaction score

If 5 times in 18 years is evidence of a conspiracy, the people running the conspiracy aren't very good at it.

If 17% of the time it happens to 3% of the NFL franchises, that is beyond the allowance of "statistical anomaly."

If you understand math, that is.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

So you’re saying you didn’t understand that post you replied to?

He’s explains that it’s extremely rare and “unlikely”

Last edited:

plymkr

Reaction score
I've always felt the NFL had something against the Cowboys and has become increasingly more noticeable to me this year with the ridiculous call in Washington on the FG attempt to tie the game, the hit on Mariotta to keep that drive alive last Monday night, these phantom holding calls when we get in scoring position, etc. I feel like ever since Jerry went at Goodell they have it out for us at times.
Since '95 when Jerry went maverick on the marketing deals with Pepsi the league has had it out for us.

JustChip

Reaction score

In layman terms, no matter the reason, it's waaaaay out of line and should be questioned heavily.

JustChip

Reaction score
Since Kraft got here and put Goodell... the NFL refs are up for sale .

Don't know about that, but certainly since Goodell took over, the decisions and actions are heavily influenced by public perception and, more so, having a defensible litigious position.