Rico Gathers Espn Sports Science

ccb04

Reaction score
Witten actually had more catches this past year with "no viable QB" than he did the year before with Romo, but thanks anyway.

Missing Dez for several games likely had something to do with that. Dez had 88 catches in 16 games in 2014, and 31 catches in 9 games in 2015. Witten's best game happened to be the 1st game of the season, in which Romo played the entire game. Witten had a season high 8 receptions and caught 2 of his 3 TD's for the year in the opener against the Giants.

Verdict

Reaction score
I just have to expand on this little caveat because it clearly highlights the things I witnessed for 3 straight days. Our front office was on point this year and very strategic in filling needs through the draft. This was the first draft in a very long time for me that was a real pleasure from start to finish. You nailed it here. Rico would have never signed as a UDRFA here given the log jam at TE. So we nabbed him with an inconsequential pick in the 6th. Two birds. One stone. We get a guy that we were interested in who would not have signed outside of the draft process and make him feel wanted (albeit behind the log jam) by drafting him. Brilliant.

I think this makes sense, but we will likely cut him in roster cut downs, so won't he have the option of going somewhere else at that point?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He had 49 catches and 5 TDs on a new team after missing a lot of training camp and a quarter of the season.

Compare that to Witten who played a full season.

Did you really just try to compare Julius Thomas to JWit and the garbage he had to work with last year?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Did you really just try to compare Julius Thomas to JWit and the garbage he had to work with last year?

My gosh..

I said that I would take a Julius Thomas....

He says meh Thomas isnt that great and to look at his season.

I say that he had some things going against him and he produced good stats and to compare those to Witten who played the entire year.

He starts in with smart *** comments attached to his opinion and I fire back.

All I'm saying is Julius Thomas is a heck of a player and I'd gladly take Julias Thomas and his production here in Dallas.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Witten's going to literally play for ever. He'll get slower and craftier until he's barely moving at all but catches everything thrown in his direction and then one day, he'll just disappear, leaving everybody to wonder if he was ever really here at all.

Gather, though, is an interesting athlete. It'll be fun to see if he can get good enough, fast enough, to make the team.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Witten's going to literally play for ever. He'll get slower and craftier until he's barely moving at all but catches everything thrown in his direction and then one day, he'll just disappear, leaving everybody to wonder if he was ever really here at all.

Gather, though, is an interesting athlete. It'll be fun to see if he can get good enough, fast enough, to make the team.

The Tim Duncan of the NFL... With a louder mouth.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Jerry must have watched that show ........ ran to the Cowboys board ........ and penciled this kid in .......

I wish him luck.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I think this makes sense, but we will likely cut him in roster cut downs, so won't he have the option of going somewhere else at that point?

I'm thinking he goes onto the practice squad.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
He can't be any more useless than Escobar, I guess. I would rather use a late round pick to gamble than a second on a scrub like Escobar.

rkell87

Reaction score
My guess is this guy replaces and is groomed in the same vein that Marty b was. He is going to basically be glued to frees hip to strengthen our run game. Witten can still get the job done blocking and was asked to do a lot more of it last year contributing to lower production. Witten is too old to be our primary blocking TE and too valuable in other parts of his game, Escobar and Hanna( is he still here or patriots?) can't get it done in the run game and witten with his 4.9 speed is better than both combined in the passing game.

Prediction

This is the only 6th round pick that pans out even a little

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
I feel Basketball players are the best athletes and most basketball players, especially power and small forwards could be very good at football and the transition isn't that great.
Many of the skills of basketball translate to football. Positioning your body being the main one.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
We will see what happens when he gets laid out the first time.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
I'm curious about the guy, but a lot of the catches in those clips weren't clean. He looks like he's fighting the ball.

He's 22 years old, 6ft8, 275 lbs, he catches the ball like it's a jr. nerf, I think we can find a spot for him. His athleticism is off the charts as well.

Good luck laying a near 300lb mountain of a man out - without getting knocked silly in the process.

Last edited: